Non-motoring > Cost sharing conundrum Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 9

Cost sharing conundrum - legacylad
Opinions please.
Friend of mine has rented a car, not cheapby previous standards, in Spain, and shares it equally with a couple. Both parties drive it. They’ve paid half of his rental...he did all the arranging to get the best price.

When the three of them share a taxi the couple pay 50%

When the three of them go for a meal they split it 3 ways.

My friend ( it’s not me) thinks they should split the shared costs of taxi & car rental 3 ways, and he is the one ferrying them, and saving them a lot of €, to and from the airport. They are only paying 50% of the car rental price for the time they are here. Obviously less than his.

Both parties are financially ok

Wotcha think ?

Cost sharing conundrum - sooty123
What did they say when he brought it up with them?
He hasn’t. They are friends and he doesn’t want to upset the apple cart.

I’d try to be diplomatic, although it doesn’t come easy.
 Cost sharing conundrum - sooty123
>> He hasn’t. They are friends and he doesn’t want to upset the apple cart.
>>
>> I’d try to be diplomatic, although it doesn’t come easy.
>>

I'd suggest he do that, hard though it may be. The couple may well be open to splitting the bills a different way and have just defaulted into that breakdown. As you say none of them are short of a bob or two.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 12 Mar 22 at 18:33
 Cost sharing conundrum - Terry
You can argue the 33% or 50% issue endlessly. But if it is creating bad feeling, just end the arrangement.

There are better things to do in life than get upset about relatively trivial bills. Like a group of (say) 6 "friends" going out for a meal and splitting the bill - do you divide the total by 6 or argue the toss about who had a starter, 2 glasses of wine, or no coffee.
Agree, but it’s not a ‘trivial’ car hire bill.
He can’t renege on the car hire and tell them to get their own....should have been openly discussed beforehand.

I never eat out with people who sub divide food bills...unless their is a t total driver involved who just pays a token amount which I always think fair.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 12 Mar 22 at 18:28
 Cost sharing conundrum - CGNorwich
Presumably your friend would still have hired the car and paid for it in full had he not had the offer to share the costs. He accepted the offer and he should stick to what he agreed.
 Cost sharing conundrum - Terry
I agree with you on the restaurant bill - divide by the number of diners with a possible exception for the driver. Far more civilised.
 Cost sharing conundrum - Manatee
Depends which end of the telescope you are looking down.

If they did their own thing, there wouldn't be 3 hire cars and three taxis, there'd be two. He'd pay double what he does now, and so would they. On the present arrangement, everybody pays half of what they would had they to do it independently.

That's one way he could rationalise it.

I hope they at least acknowledge and thank him for his effort in sorting things out. Maybe paid for his dinner on the last night out, just to acknowledge his efforts on their behalf. But you don't negotiate things like that - people with a bit of empathy just do it.

If it rankles with him, he has 3 choices. Carry on rankling, raise it with them, or just tell them he'd rather do his own thing and they'll have to get their own hire car and taxis.

EDIT - just seen CGN's comment. He's right, although I suspect it was never really discussed. They probably agree(d) to share without specifics on the financial arrangement, and the couple just tip up 50%.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 12 Mar 22 at 19:05
 Cost sharing conundrum - Zero
Assuming the couple are a couple, they are a single interface to him, not two thirds of a trio.

TBH if he is feeling that aggrieved by the arrangement its time he re considered the friendship
Latest Forum Posts