Non-motoring > Brick “sealant” Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 8

Brick “sealant” - Bobby
Long story short, thinking of converting my man cave into a wee bit more comfortable surroundings. But before I think about insulating it out Lining it I need to try and weatherproof it.
It is half of a concrete panel garage but where we took the front half down, it was bricked up with blocks and facing bricks in front. These were placed directly onto the concrete slab of the garage which extended out.
I have discovered I am getting some damp through the base of the bricks. I am not about to take the whole lot down so am just wondering if there is some sort of sealant that I can apply at the right angle between the facing bricks and the concrete slab?
I am thinking something like spreadable bitumen or suchlike product that I could apply? I know it won’t totally waterproof it but hopefully would help a bit.
Anyone any ideas?
 Brick “sealant” - Zero
Sounds like it has no damp proof course, you'll need to get a chemical DPC injected into the wall
 Brick “sealant” - smokie
That used to be a pretty standard requirement for getting a mortgage back in the old days.
 Brick “sealant” - sherlock47
In the past I have used a clear brick sealing liquid on a brick outer skin that suffered from wind blown penetration. Very successful - it has lasted 25 years. The liquid is very 'thin' and readily absorbed.

Whilst it may not stop ' rising' dampness where there is no dpc installed, it is an easy and cheap and quick solution worth trying.

How is the bottom course getting wet? If the original concrete base is apparently dry, with a membrane incorporated, is surface water running across the external concrete? A small french drain could solve that problem.
 Brick “sealant” - Lygonos
I'd consider wind-blown wet and poor roof drainage as causes for the damp before worrying about a DPC.

Water coming down a crack in the roof/walls/behind a gutter is much more likely than rising damp unless it's sitting in a swamp.
 Brick “sealant” - Bobby
I did see a brick sealant online last night which I might give a try to.

This was literally a concrete panel garage on a concrete plinth.
Due to house extension we cut the garage back lengthways in half, left the full concrete plinth but then the brickies bricked up the front with blocks on inside and facing bricks on outside. So, literally, I guess there would have been a bed of mortar under the first bricks and blocks.

I am not looking to inject DPCs or anything that is going to cost a lot of money. Just literally looking to try and apply a “seal” between the concrete and the bricks. I might give that brick sealant a try but will contact the company first.

Inside, I will be applying waterproof membrane sheeting to floor wall and ceiling.

I had originally been thinking some sort of mastic or tar to slap it on and waterproof it but the sealant may well do the same thing.

Of course, I better not tell you that the rest of the concrete slab is covered by artificial grass apart from a foot or so between it and the garage (the area I am talking about) which just has stones on top of it.
 Brick “sealant” - Fullchat
Youtube 'Wally Damp Man' who has a certain take on damp issues which he believes are mostly created by ground levels and lack of ventilation.
 Brick “sealant” - sherlock47
www.screwfix.com/p/thompsons-water-seal-clear-5ltr/52043#product_additional_details_container

is a water sealer.

To me the use of the word 'sealant' implies a mastic like substance.

PS it is cheaper on Amazon! with free AP delivery.
 Brick “sealant” - Bobby
This is the man shed I am talking about.
Photos probably describe it better than words

www.dropbox.com/sh/macde0866jeyujs/AACS9L-dqt3fJr57sXa3QEvta?dl=0
Latest Forum Posts