Non-motoring > At the Flicks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 56

At the Flicks - Zero
Murder on the Orient Express moved to a Boat - Or "Death on the Nile" as its knpwn.

Quite an entertaining couple of hours. I am quite warming to Branagh as a director of Christie and as a Hurcule character. Some great local scenes (mixed with much CGI) and some amusing little touches (like all the plot corpses leaving at the end done up like Egyptian mummies). The main plot remains the same but with much more pre scene fill in. The twist is at the end and nothing to do with the plot. This is either Branagh's last role as the sleuth, or he will be taking it very much out of character for the next.

Worth your time down the flicks I think.
 At the Flicks - zippy
I took the family to see it at the weekend.

All enjoyed it but preferred Murder on the Orient Express.

As with MOTOE, it's spectacularly filmed and well paced. Some small bits of the story have been changed.

I'm not a fan of Russel Brand, but thought he did very well, acting wise, in this film.

>>This is either Branagh's last role as the sleuth

I sincerely hope not, because I really enjoy his portrayal, but I suspect you are right because these two stories are the ones best suited to feature films.
 At the Flicks - Crankcase
Saw it yesterday afternoon. Only about ten people in the place - I don't know how they keep going. I guess the armfuls of popcorn et al they all had are the cinema equivalent of gap insurance.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed it. We thought it was better than the last, which we had enjoyed a lot, so well worthwhile.

Cost us £21 in total (usual price round here) with no extra food or drink, that's just tickets. How much was everyone else's, as a matter of interest?

They chucked up an advert at the start - you can hire the whole cinema for a private showing for just £180.
 At the Flicks - BiggerBadderDave
About £50 for me and three kids with popcorn and drinks. That was in Finchley.

At the Flicks - zippy
£40 for four adults at a brand new cinema on the south coast.

No treats at the cinema. About a dozen there on a Saturday PM.

Followed by 3 courses at the local Prezzo.

One advertised film looks interesting: Operation Mincemeat which is a remake of The Man Who Never Was.

At the Flicks - Zero

>> One advertised film looks interesting: Operation Mincemeat which is a remake of The Man Who
>> Never Was.

Yes with Colin Firth, was due out in Jan but has been pushed back. Its on my to watch list, along with Top Gun 2 in June/july
 At the Flicks - smokie
I'm not much of a cinema-goer but as we seem to struggle fill time I suggested to SWMBO we went to this, on our OAP rates or Meerkat tickets. She said OK but she'd heard Belfast was also good.

I don't really want to go to the movies twice this year if I can help and, Having just read the plot of Belfast, I think I like the sound of Death on the Nile better.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 18 Feb 22 at 09:54
 At the Flicks - Zero

>>
>> I don't really want to go to the movies twice this year if I can
>> help and,

Why so? Its a good night out if your local flics has a bar/food menu. "er indoors goes one a month or so with her mates, there is always a choice of some chick flic/weepy on, and I will go if there is a good man flic on. Probably about 4- 6 times a year for me.
 At the Flicks - smokie
I'm being a bit flippant really but I don't get on well with sitting for long periods watching a screen - same with TV really, even during shows when I'm enjoying I'm often doing something else at the same time (games on the phone, or light reading - difficult to do at the pictures!!!).

I guess you used to go to that cinema at Manor Park Zero, up the Romford Road towards Stratford from yours, left towards East Ham then just along on the right. I clearly remember going to Saturday morning pics there regularly with my mates. That'd have been the 60s.
 At the Flicks - Zero

>> I guess you used to go to that cinema at Manor Park Zero, up the
>> Romford Road towards Stratford from yours, left towards East Ham then just along on the
>> right. I clearly remember going to Saturday morning pics there regularly with my mates. That'd
>> have been the 60s.

I was long gone from there by then, Moved to Essex in 1960. My only dealings with it then was visits to grandparents in Ilford. & Canning town. (which did include visits to pioneer market, the wimpy. etc) My Auntie was working at Mac Fisheries in Ilford, then became a clippie at Ilford bus garage. I did visits to the area in the early 70's to do teen things at pubs/discos in the area.
 At the Flicks - bathtub tom
>> I'm often doing something else at the same time (games on the phone

That is precisely one of the reasons I haven't been to a cinema for years. A woman complained about that sort of behaviour and outside she got some corrosive fluid thrown in her face. Disfigured for life and the miscreant received a lenghty sentence.
 At the Flicks - Zero
At my local venue, 17 quid for two (OAP rate) with a large pizza, wine and beer add 20 quid, free parking, so 37 quid all in.

At the Flicks - Crankcase
Sounds like the ticket prices are all fairly consistent then.

What is it about trailers in cinemas that makes you want to see the film? Usual bunch of trailers, and two or three we said we might go and see those. Thing is, if the same trailer was on the TV we probably wouldn't give them a glance, or even think about seeing the films.
 At the Flicks - sooty123
I'm not sure how much the nearest cinema costs. I can't remember exactly when i last went or what i watched. I think it must 5 or 6 years ago.
 Operation Mincemeat. - Zero
Or remake of "The Man who Never Was"

Very similar to the 1956 film, but then I suppose being a real tale it would be. Strangely it benefitted from much more toned down cinematography than the original & overbright and vivid Eastman colour print, the modern one feels much more "wartime". Only the obligatory love interest differed from the facts, along with a different version of the fictitious German spy bit.

Not over long, nicely paced, 'er indoors enjoyed it too.
 Operation Mincemeat. - zippy
>> Or remake of "The Man who Never Was"
>>

Thanks Zero, I want to see this, I had intended to go over the Easter break but events overtook me. Hopefully this weekend if it's still on.

The original is one of my favourite films.
 Operation Mincemeat. - R.P.
Went to see it last night - very good film. I love the original version, this version has its merits. Loved the little "easter eggs" especially with "Q" and the watch ! The love thing dragged it out a little too long.
 Operation Mincemeat. - Dog
>>overbright and vivid Eastman colour print

Ah, so that's what it was. I watched Diary of a Madman (1963) last night, and Vincent Price's hair looked green on my OLED.
 Top Gun Maverick - zippy
Ok, it’s not original.

It’s very well filmed.

It’s jolly exciting.

Go to the cinema and treat yourselves!
 Top Gun Maverick - Zero
Going this week. I guessed its one of those films that can only be fully appreciated on the big BIG screen in stomach rumbling Dolby Atmos and 4K laser projection, so its off to the smoke for this one.
 Top Gun Maverick - CGNorwich
Seems to have good reviews but just couldn’t watch anything with Tom Cruise in it.
 Top Gun Maverick - sooty123
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61630131

Well it appears to have been fairly popular.
 Top Gun Maverick - Zero
So we went to see TG-M at the piccies. lets be honest, the plot and set up is nonsense, the gung ho-ism is way over the top, but its superb. The flying scenes are superb and its a great watch. The cinema was heaving - not a spare seat in its second week of release, must be coining it in.

You may not like Mr Thomas Cruise, but you have to admire his work ethic and professionalism.
 Top Gun Maverick - zippy
>> but its superb

It is.

Did you see it at the IMAX?

Spoiler alert for anyone who has not seen it......

The only country still flying F14 Tomcats is Iran. They were sold to Iran just before the revolution (DOH).

The USA scrapped all of theirs (save for a few in a museum) rather than selling them on to a friendly country in case spares or scavenged parts managed to get to Iran.
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 3 Jun 22 at 01:25
 Top Gun Maverick - Zero
>> >> but its superb
>>
>> It is.
>>
>> Did you see it at the IMAX?

Indeed Leicester square IMAX, Laser projection with Dolby Atmos. Worth it. Very few films deserve such effort to watch tho.

That the target was Iran was a given right from the start of plot perspective. The plot fails at the point they are worried about "5th gen" fighters. Iran dont have any.
 Top Gun Maverick - zippy
>>"5th gen" fighters. Iran dont have any.

Yes they do....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAIO_Qaher-313

Of course it's all vapourware :-)
 Top Gun Maverick - Zero
Clearly aircraft design and build skills is not one of the prophet Mohammeds (Allah Akbar) wondrous gifts
 Top Gun Maverick - zippy
>> Clearly aircraft design and build skills is not one of the prophet Mohammeds (Allah Akbar)
>> wondrous gifts
>>

The thing looks like an aircraft that a kid would draw.

There is a picture of it somewhere on a turntable with what looks like a 13 amp cable running to it - i.e. a standard mains or even a phone type recharging cable.
 Top Gun Maverick - smokie
That'd limit it's range somewhat
I’d heard it’s pulling in the crowds which I am really pleased about. Cinema really needs to get back the mass audiences. Perhaps I should overcome my aversion to T Cruise Esq. and give it a whirl
 Top Gun Maverick - Runfer D'Hills
Just been to see Top Gun.
Outstanding, excellent, thoroughly enjoyed it.
 Top Gun Maverick - Fullchat
Yeap brilliant.
 Top Gun Maverick - Robin O'Reliant
Last time I went to the cinema was to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit, 1988 or '89.
 Top Gun Maverick - Crankcase
>> Last time I went to the cinema was to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit, 1988
>> or '89.

I'd forgotten that film. We went to see it at the cinema too, and I think we liked it. Wonder if it would bear a rewatch. Don't recall it ever appearing on TV.
Its actually a bit of a nostalgia trip really. 36 years. Check out some of the actors then and now :/
>> Its actually a bit of a nostalgia trip really. 36 years. Check out some of
>> the actors then and now :/
>

Well, to be fair, Bob Hoskins probably looked better then than he does now.
 Top Gun Maverick - Zero

>> Well, to be fair, Bob Hoskins probably looked better then than he does now.

As he is dead, thats a given.
 Top Gun Maverick - tyrednemotional
>>
>> As he is dead, thats a given.
>>

...I'm not sure that applies to everyone I've ever met...
>>
>> >> Well, to be fair, Bob Hoskins probably looked better then than he does now.
>>
>> As he is dead, thats a given.

Kinda my point really.
Actually I was referring to Top Gun but hey ho. :)
As if we didn't need reminding about the ageing process.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmItdc0cXL8
 Top Gun Maverick - bathtub tom
>> >> Last time I went to the cinema was to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit,
>> 1988
>> >> or '89.
>> I'd forgotten that film. We went to see it at the cinema too, and I
>> think we liked it. Wonder if it would bear a rewatch. Don't recall it ever
>> appearing on TV.

It's been on several times. I susoect if you search the TV listings or youtube you'll find it.
 Top Gun Maverick - Bobby
Went last weekend to see it, was really good. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

A “technical” question though and forgive the untechnical language!

Is it still the case that missiles fired at planes can still be made to go wayward by the plane chucking out the flare things (am sure there is a more technical name).

Would have thought by now they would be able to lock onto a target and pursue it no matter what?
 Top Gun Maverick - zippy
>>
>> Would have thought by now they would be able to lock onto a target and
>> pursue it no matter what?
>>

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you. :-D

Missiles are no doubt becoming much more sophisticated but so are countermeasures with some even transmitting their own electronic signature and artificial radar type signals to get the missile to lock on to them.

It also depends on what technology the enemy's missiles have. I guess the enemy portrayed in TG2 had older missiles.

One would expect a lot more shot down aircraft in the current Ukraine war if missiles were foolproof.

Google “Air to Air” missiles . Plenty on Wikipaedia
 Top Gun Maverick - Zero

>> Would have thought by now they would be able to lock onto a target and
>> pursue it no matter what?

Depends. Everyone has a mix of all of them.

Guided by operator, Infa red heat seeking, semi radar, fully radar All air to air & ground to air, add laser guided to Air to ground.

All currently valid, All depends on your payload, the application, the launching platform, the theatre of operation, your inventory and your bank balance.
Finally got round to seeing the film this evening. Above average summer blockbuster with great action sequences but not much in the way of plot. You could skip the first hour and you wouldn’t miss much. OK for a summer’s evening watch.
 Top Gun Maverick - Zero
Well done, pleased we were able to ease you past your TC aversion and it didnt spoil the action.

And we did you warn you that plot had gone AWOL.
So I guess you will be going to see “Elvis” with an equally open mind?
 Top Gun Maverick - Zero
Alas I am not blessed with the same generosity of spirit as your good self. Elvis can go whistle.
Didn’t someone on here recently say to me “God forbid you do anything outside your comfort zone” ?
 Top Gun Maverick - Zero
I've gone all cautious reading tales of the idiots throwing themselves off bikes and breaking things.
Just after you’ve gone and persuaded me to book an Extreme Sports Holiday.
 Elvis. - R.P.
Beatifully filmed, some superb acting....just a bit long. Tom Hanks was very good. Worth seeing though.
 Till - Fullchat
The true story of Mamie Till-Mobley's relentless pursuit of justice for her 14-year-old son, Emmett Till, who was brutally lynched in 1955 while visiting his cousins in Mississippi.

Went to see this the other evening. At one point I considered leaving as I find the behaviours displayed by man to fellow human beings purely based on their skin colour very very disturbing but feel I owe it to those that suffer unbelievably to that level of racism to see it through.

There's no spoiler alert as you know the ending before you go but its the journey up to the event and the steadfast seeking of some form of justice against pure bigotry that captures you.

In the credits at the end it stated that 'lynching' was not outlawed until 2022. Says an awful lot.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 29 Jan 23 at 18:04
 Till - zippy
>> The true story of Mamie Till-Mobley's relentless pursuit of justice for her 14-year-old son, Emmett
>> Till, who was brutally lynched in 1955 while visiting his cousins in Mississippi.

Thanks for the heads up FC.

Sickening. And stuff like this keeps happening (Tyre Nicholls, BAME on BAME but it still looks like a lynching in all but method.)

Surprised lynching was not illegal as I would have thought that it would have been classed as murder. Just goes to show that you can learn something new everyday.

As a white man I am screened from most of the issues around racism. I do know people in the BAME community who have experienced (admittedly not fatal) racism in their everyday lives including from local council services.

As you know, Miss Z is a surgeon and will happily tell you that under the skin we are all the same colour.
 Till - Kevin
>Surprised lynching was not illegal as I would have thought that it would have been classed as murder.

Lynching was covered by numerous State laws until the change made it a specific Federal hate crime. Federal law trumps State law.
Latest Forum Posts