Non-motoring > Eunice. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 37

Eunice. - Zero
All the ones I know have, without exception been haridens.

Are we all Battening down the Hatches for tomorrow?
 Eunice. - Robin O'Reliant
Down here we are.

We're in an amber warning area, 45mph winds at the peak but topping out with gusts over sixty. Luckily we are above the red warning area covering the south coast of Wales.

Our papers come from at distribution hub in Swansea so whether their drivers get to us is anybody's guess. It may be too dangerous to send paperboys out on the rounds even if they do.

All bins have been put in the garage along with the garden chairs so it is just a matter of crossed fingers that the roof stays on. I can put up with most whether conditions but I'll readily admit that storms frighten me. The damage they do can be catastrophic.
 Eunice. - PeterS
Would be wise to… SAGE is forecasting winds of up to 600 mph apparently ;)
 Eunice. - Ted

I've put one of the cars down the drive well away from the house. The other can stay in the road. Both fairly out of the way of any tiles coming off.

Not much else I can do. I'm not bringing 30X 6' high fence panels into the house !

Good luck to all here.

Ted
 Eunice. - Crankcase
As they have issued a red warning for our area (Cambridgeshire) - it's very unusual for weather warnings of any sort to come over as far as us - we thought we'd best nip outside to see if were any obvious bits to put away. Oh look, an empty pot. Another pot. A plate. A plant saucer. A bird feeder. The lid of the water butt which blew off yesterday...it just seemed to go on and on.

An hour later, we have moved about a ton of odd loose bits. It's bin day today - I think they are going to collect, according to the website, so don't want to bring them in, but one has already walked over the pavement and had to be retrieved.

Time for coffee before the inevitable power cut. We get power cuts about twice a week anyway, for no apparent reason, so it's almost guaranteed.
 Eunice. - Zero
Went to bed in a yellow area, woke up in a red area. Its very stealthy, stuff is moving around and being rearranged but not much noise!
 Eunice. - tyrednemotional
>> Went to bed in a yellow area, woke up in a red area.
>>

...jeez! The wind must be strong chez vous.....
 Eunice. - BiggerBadderDave
I went to bed three times one evening in a red area in Prague. It cost me £600.
 Eunice. - Ambo
A massive tree has just fallen from my neighbour's garden into mine. Clearing it will cost a packet I imagine and my insurance doesn't cover the cost as there is no damage to the building. Who is liable to pay, me or my neighbour?

Eunice. - Manatee
Neighbour I should think, and he should have PL insurance on his house policy to cover your damage.
 Eunice. - Zero
Neighbour responsible, you'll need to allow his contractors access to your garden to cart away the debris
 Eunice. - CGNorwich
Not necessarily. There is no absolute liability. The damage would have to be reasonably foreseeable. If the tree was healthy and had been maintained it might be difficult to make a case.
 Eunice. - VxFan
Advertise it. Firewood for sale. Buyer collects ;)
 Eunice. - Manatee
Just been up to my nearly finished house. The thunderbox has made a bid for freedom and is on its side on our new driveway.
 Eunice. - Zero
Bit worried about the new caravan on my drive,

Wasn't there this morning.........
 Eunice. - Manatee
Our Eriba is parked in a friend's field ... I hope.
 Eunice. - bathtub tom
My sold board is at quite a jaunty angle.
 Eunice. - zippy
We have had no power all morning and it came back on about 10 minutes ago.

Even the mobile signals and landlines were down.
 Eunice. - Zero
First casualty here, the bird nesting box has come down, complete with robins nest and eggs -
 Eunice. - Bromptonaut
Wall blown down onto the side of an LR Discovery in the road behind.

Fire service have been and taped it off!!
 Eunice. - Robin O'Reliant
Not as bad as we feared out here. The sea in Fishguard Bay was flat calm at 9am as the wind was coming from the other direction. Out towards Strumble Head it was a different story.

I'd love to know where the lid of my incinerator bin is now.
 Eunice. - Zero
It appears that overnight the sting shifted and appeared in the spiral tail over our way.
 Eunice. - Runfer D'Hills
One of my fences is down and a couple of roof tiles are off.

Wife is out at a hospital appointment, so at least she’ll have her coat on ready to go and fix them when she’s back.

;-)
 Eunice. - tyrednemotional
>> Wife is out at a hospital appointment, so at least she’ll have her coat on
>> ready to go and fix them when she’s back.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

...have you booked your hospital appointment in anticipation of the above comment?

(Fence on one side of my garden went in Storm Dudley (best said in a Black Country accent) - luckily, my fence is the other side ;-) )
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Fri 18 Feb 22 at 15:31
 Eunice. - henry k
No rain but some mighty gusts.
About 1130 this morning some new arrivals on my lawn.
Two halves of a smallish chimney pot neatly split in half plus a large stainless steel spinner cowl.
They were from my neighbours chimney at the top of our shared stack.
I was very surprised at no hole smashed in the roof.
They landed 10/15 feet onto the lawn but missed en route the 10 feet of patio and all the various pots parked there.
It seems a long way for such heavy items to fly.
 Eunice. - DeeW
My son in Christchurch has doubled his garden size this morning, he was a bit worried that some planks exited the garden vertically. His landlord won’t be thrilled.
I lost a branch from an oak tree, which landed in the space the support worker usually parks. He had parked up near my car, away from hazards unless the dinghy decided to fly. The large top box did go for a bit of a trip but held in the back garden by some trellis.
The webcam above the Needles has moved and the one on Hurst Castle appears to be upside down now.
 Eunice. - smokie
The covers came off our garden furniture and the shed door opened itself but other than that I think we got away with it.

Couple of roads blocked by large trees over very near my place though (Wokingham).

Quite spectacular seeing some of the trees bending so far, and the waves crashing at the seaside.

And I'm surprised no-one has posted the O2 roof coming off yet. Twitter twitter.com/BJFHubbard
 Eunice. - Kevin
>Couple of roads blocked by large trees over very near my place though (Wokingham).

>Quite spectacular seeing some of the trees bending so far, and the waves crashing at the seaside.

Smokie, that's Wokingham sewage treatment works not the seaside.
 Eunice. - helicopter
Centre of Eastbourne closed to traffic due to damage to the Station roof and clocktower with lead flashing lifed by the wind leaving tiles exposed..

Went for a walk along the front this afternoon and despite the substantial waves a couple of guys were out there on hover surfboards.

Despite what might be seen as their foolhardiness by some, one of them was giving an expert display , surfing in very fast travelling along huge waves without falling and then zooming back out again to catch the next wave. We stood and watched him for ten minutes or so and he never fell off .

Never seen anyone use these boards before and would quite like to try one but in less rough seas.
 Eunice. - VxFan
A local landmark near me got took out by Eunice. A de Havilland DH 112 Venom got knocked off its perch.

www.key.aero/article/storm-eunice-destroys-beloved-neighbourhood-venom
 Eunice. - Bromptonaut
Suspect it wasn't in good shape yesterday.

There's a lot of work/money involved in keeping old aircraft going even in they're only on static display.
 Eunice. - zippy
We have a snapped fence post and arris rail.

MIL has lost 5 fence panels. All next to a public foot path so will need replacing pronto. All proper arris rail jobs too.

SIL has lost 5 large roof tiles. These are big things about 2ft by 2ft. One hit her car and took out a headlight.

Miss Z reports that the generators were powering the hospital for much of the day. Not surprised really as it's about a mile from us and we had a long power outage and SIL who is even nearer still didn't have power until 18:00ish.

My folks, about 10 miles away, were untouched. Power and phone all day.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 19 Feb 22 at 00:02
 Eunice. - sooty123
We had a small plant pot fall over.
 Eunice. - Crankcase
Bird table fell over. Six power cuts.
 Eunice. - Zero
I performed life saving support of my fence during the height, its been sufficiently weakened however to now require replacement, but I least I managed to prolong its usefulness past the "great fencing shortage of '22 " period thats looming.

Eunice. - bathtub tom
>>I performed life saving support of my fence during the height

Had to do the same. It's damn difficult nailing and screwing into a waving fence post. The house is sold and we should be out before replacement's required.
 Eunice. - Zero
>> >>I performed life saving support of my fence during the height
>>
>> Had to do the same. It's damn difficult nailing and screwing into a waving fence
>> post. The house is sold and we should be out before replacement's required.

Just ordered some post buddies, before they all run out.
 Eunice. - Bromptonaut
We had a couple of posts give up in the 'mini hurricane' that hit Northampton in the autumn. Had a chap round after Xmas to install a stronger concrete form of post buddy. All held up during Eunice.

High winds forecast locally for tomorrow and Monday but 40+ rather than 60+.
Latest Forum Posts