Non-motoring > Podcasts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 27

Podcasts - CGNorwich
Anyone have any recommendations for good podcasts? Am currently enjoying “Real Dictators”. Episodes on Franco and Tojo were particularly interesting as I knew comparatively little about them. Recommended
 Podcasts - Zero
If you are into Football, BBC Scotland did a cracking series over Christmas, called "Sacked in the Morning". The Harry Rednap episode was hilarious.

If you are into railways, "Signals to Danger" on Apple podcasts.

BBC, The Crypto Queen.

My npodcast tonight is a BBC one "Why ships sink"

Mark Felton does good ones if you are into military history
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 17 Feb 22 at 13:12
 Podcasts - smokie
Tough one to answer really, I automatically download 5 podcasts

- The Archers Omnibus edition for SWMBO

- Like Minded Friends with Tom Allen and Suze Ruffle - a pair of gay comedians - for daughter

- More or Less - Behind the Stats - cos Manatee (I believe) recommended the programme - for me and I have them all from day 1 but not yet listened to any

- Page 94: The Private Eye Podcast - about every other month they dig deeper into one of their stories, for me

- Walking The Dog with Emily Dean - where she chats with a celeb over and hour or so's walk - I thought it might be of interest but haven't listened to any yet

But then I also download a number of radio comedy/panel shows to listen to, and I'm well behind on those too - e.g. I'm Sorry I'm Haven't A Clue, Simon Evans goes to Market, Just A Minute, The Unbelievable Truth, It's A Fair Cop, The News Quiz and Mark Steel Goes to Town.

So it all depends what floats your boat I suppose.

You can browse all the current BBC offerings here www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/podcasts/all-podcasts
 Podcasts - CGNorwich
Enjoyed the Harry Rednap episode. A natural raconteur. The Kanu signing was a classic.
 Podcasts - Manatee
BBC podcasts/series
- More or Less
- The Curious Cases of Rutherford & Fry
- Newscast
- Americast
- The Coming Storm
- Think with Pinker
- The Life Scientific
- Nuremberg

Others
- The British Broadcasting Century
- Stuff You Should Know

Podcasts - CGNorwich
Strangely enough I subscribe to all of those apart from Nuremberg. I’ll check it out.
 Podcasts - Manatee
I've just found a load of Alistair Cooke's Letters from America on BBC Sounds - don't know how long they've been there.

I used to listen to them most weeks, from about 1977 until he conked out. Incredible broadcaster, an absolute phenomenon. There must have been some boring ones but I can't remember having heard any.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00f6hbp/episodes/player

There's nothing to compare with it now.
 Podcasts - CGNorwich
I regularly used to listen to him on Sunday mornings. An exceptional broadcaster.

Podcasts - CGNorwich
My current favourites/ regular listens

The Rest is History
The History of England
Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
The Frank Skinner Show
Kermode and Mayo Film Review
Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History

Podcasts - Crankcase
We have, I think, all the BBC "blockbuster" series in our dvd collection. His "America" series is watched every so often because it's fab. You can get the dvd for about a tenner or less on eBay. Well worth it.
 Podcasts - Manatee
The OP was offensive I see. Inexplicable.

Re the rise of podcasts, an article today about the departure of Maitlis and Sopel for LBC says the BBC can be criticised for not crediting the importance of podcasts. Presumably this is an allusion to their work on "Americast".

I listen to Americast but I thought Maitlis and Sopel were actually pretty irritating on it - they indulged in witless personal banter and I won't miss them there. Maitlis I thought was quite good on Newsnight.

Bigger salaries presumably but LBC? How much scope there really for serious journalists? Money isn't a problem unless one runs out, which neither of them was likely to do at the BBC where their salaries were £330,000 and £235,000. Apparently both were likely candidates for the job of political editor at the BBC following Kuenssberg's move to another role.
 Podcasts - CGNorwich
Not sure how I have offended someone. Whoever is offended please accept my apologies.

Quite like a bit of banter in my podcasts. Surely the informality is the difference between a conventional radios programme and a podcast. Maitlis will be missed by me at least.

Reverting to Alistair Cooke I just discovered from Wikipedia that his leg bones were dissected and removed illegally after his death and sold for medical transplants. Bizarre.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 23 Feb 22 at 20:14
 Podcasts - Zero
Anyone enjoying “Real Dictators” is probably offensive to some I guess
 Podcasts - CGNorwich
I guess so but it isn’t a tutorial or a handbook on how to become one just a very good history podcast.

Podcasts - Bromptonaut
I heard Emily Dean's Walking the Dog as a Times Radio thing where she met Radio 4 PM's Evan Davis and his dog Mr Whippy.

A brilliant and sensitive exploration of the broadcaster's story.

If the others are as good then well worth exploring:

podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/walking-the-dog-with-emily-dean/id1220510307
 Podcasts - CGNorwich
I like Emily Dean. She is a co presenter of the Frank Skinner show podcast which is basically Absolute Radio’s Frank Skinner show without the music
 Podcasts - Zero
>> I guess so but it isn’t a tutorial or a handbook

Damn, I was hoping to do the OU course.
 Podcasts - CGNorwich

>> Damn, I was hoping to do the OU course.
>>
I think you may have left it too late. Although in many ways you have the necessary attributes of a successful dictator at your age you should be at Supreme Leader stage, the cities full of your statues and portraits and you should be embarking on grandiose architectural projects.
 Podcasts - tyrednemotional
...he's still in the "making the trains run on time" phase....
 Podcasts - Zero
Yeah I needed Sir Albert Speer of Norwich to plan my grand facades and piazzas but he let me down. Lightweight.
 Podcasts - CGNorwich
>> Yeah I needed Sir Albert Speer of Norwich to plan my grand facades and piazzas
>> but he let me down. Lightweight.
>>

Sorry, was working on my extension.
 Podcasts - Duncan
>> >> Yeah I needed Sir Albert Speer of Norwich to plan my grand facades and
>> piazzas
>> >> but he let me down. Lightweight.
>> >>
>>
>> Sorry, was working on my extension.
>>

These frowns or scowls are getting beyond a joke.

Why can't we drop them?
 Podcasts - CGNorwich
I wouldn’t mind if I could understand why I’ve got them. Perhaps Mr Scowly might care to explain.
 Podcasts - Robin O'Reliant
>> I wouldn’t mind if I could understand why I’ve got them. Perhaps Mr Scowly might
>> care to explain.
>>

A Troll messing about, I'd say. Someone along the lines of Smurf.
 Podcasts - Zero
>> I wouldn’t mind if I could understand why I’ve got them. Perhaps Mr Scowly might
>> care to explain.

clearly he has seen your extension.
 Podcasts - smokie
At least you know you aren't talking to yourself :-)
 Podcasts - CGNorwich

>> clearly he has seen your extension.
>>
Ah. I’ll put it down to jealousy then.
 Podcasts - Manatee
>>Quite like a bit of banter in my podcasts

Thinking about it, the chat between Rutherford and Fry seems natural so perhaps it doesn't have to be annoying Maitlis and Sopel seemed a bit forced.
Latest Forum Posts