Non-motoring > Weird food Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 41

Weird food - bathtub tom
Listening to a radio comedy, Weetabix spread with butter was mentioned. SWMBO admitted she used to eat that when much younger.

Anyone else care to admit to eating weird food combinations?
 Weird food - zippy
Peanut butter and jam sandwich with a fried egg added (camping and using up last bits and bobs).

Tasted fantastic.
 Weird food - Duncan
Lemonade powder sandwiches. Scrummo!
 Weird food - Manatee
Sandwiches:
Bovril & Lettuce (Cos or Little Gem, not Iceberg)
Banana & Condensed Milk

Haven't had either for a while, I don't think I'd fancy the banana one now but I could just do a Bovril & Lettuce.
 Weird food - CGNorwich
That’s not weird. Used to eat that when small. Used to add jam on mine. It sticks the crumbs together
 Weird food - Bromptonaut
Vague memory aged 3 or so of Weetabix with Jam at a hotel at Freshwater Bay IoW.
 Weird food - bathtub tom
I recall being offered white bread spread with condensed milk and sugar - I declined, my teeth ached at the suggestion. However, a bit of 'bread-n-scrape, beef dripping.
 Weird food - Zero
>> I recall being offered white bread spread with condensed milk and sugar -

A childhood fav, along with sugar and banana sandwiches. And crisp sarnies of course

Aussies have one called "Fairy bread". - thats bread sprinkled with hundreds and thousands.
 Weird food - CGNorwich
Not really weird but yesterday had a salad containing winkles, something that used to regularly be part of Sunday tea back in the fifties and sixties together with shrimp paste sandwiches, jelly and caraway cake.
 Weird food - smokie
SWMBO puts salt or Bovril on her daily apple.
 Weird food - Crankcase
Weetabix, butter and Marmite. Often had that. Also always have butter and Marmite on a jacket potato.
 Weird food - Bobby
>crisp sarnies

I still every so often have a roll’n’crisps.
The roll needs to be the well fired crispy variety that we get up here in Scotland and the current crisps of choice are Taytos! And the roll needs to be buttered, top and bottom.
 Weird food - Dog
Not particularly weird but, from an early age, I always dunked my toast into my tea - the tea tasted better too,

Buppy sugar I think it was called - white bread spread with margarine and sprinkled with sugar.

No wonder I'm so healthy!

:o}
 Weird food - sherlock47
Marmite + golden syrup sandwich, - (spread each half separately, and then mate).
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 15 Feb 22 at 09:01
 Weird food - tyrednemotional
>> Marmite + golden syrup sandwich, - (spread each half separately, and then mate)....
>>

...and then a cigarette....?
 Weird food - CGNorwich
Marmite qualifies as a weird food without any additions. I find it so strange that anyone would willingly consume the stuff.
 Weird food - smokie
T&E - coffee, keyboard

as I recall a departed resident used to say (amongst others)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 15 Feb 22 at 09:30
 Weird food - Manatee
My grandad had a fondness for rice pudding with gravy.
 Weird food - sooty123
I knew someone who liked milk, but thought it too cold on cereal so mixed it with warm water and 5/6 sugars before putting cereal, usually frosties. Makes my teeth rot just thinking of the sugar.

On that theme, strawberries and sugar. As strawberries aren't sweet enough apparantly.

Weird food - Manatee
Now everyone knows sugar is bad all round, but 60 years ago I think all the average person really know was that it gave an energy boost. My mum put sugar on cereals and strawberries. "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play" was health advice.

The food industry that made millions from sugar managed to shift the blame for heart disease on to fat for about 40 years. Turns out eating pork pies isn't what clogs up arteries and butter is good for us. Sugar is a killer.

My brother in law used to drink about 4 litres of coke per day. His doctor estimated he was consuming the best part of a pound of sugar daily. His health (and probably life expectancy) has improved dramatically since he knocked it off.

When I was at school I used to work in a small supermarket - only 2 tills, now it would be a convenience store. My first Saturday morning job was to decant sacks of 2lb. sugar bags on to a pallet they were stacked on, on the shop floor. I'd say we got through over half a pallet a week, stacked up to 3 feet or higher. Go in a big Tesco now and the quantity of ordinary granulated sugar on display is negligible in comparison.
 Weird food - CGNorwich
I rather think the consumption of sugar has remained the same or actually increased. It’s just that few people bake or cook from scratch these days hence the decline in the sale of granulated sugar. Sales of flour have similarly declined.
 Weird food - Manatee
>> I rather think the consumption of sugar has remained the same or actually increased. It’s
>> just that few people bake or cook from scratch these days hence the decline in
>> the sale of granulated sugar. Sales of flour have similarly declined.

I did ponder that, although baking has had a resurgence I think - my daughter never seems to stop.

But I know very few people who take sugar in tea now - 2 or 3 tsp seemed much more the norm once.

You're right of course about prepared/processed food. The nearest I got as a child to a ready meal was sausages once a week. Pretty well every meal was from first principles.

But the amount of sugar we shifted in that little shop was unbelievable.
 Weird food - BiggerBadderDave
"and butter is good for us"

That's good news. I like to butter a loaf-end crust, fold it in half, butter all the other side and then all around the edges.
 Weird food - Timeonmyhands
White pepper on strawberries brings out the flavour.
 Weird food - Dog
I grow strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and believe me, they don't require sugar or white pepper to improve the taste.
 Weird food - VxFan
Probably helps to remove the taste of what "fertiliser" you've used though. eg horse manure ;)
 Weird food - Zero
I guess most of us had parents that were war kids, deep memories of rationing, which only ended the year I was born. I think they were determined to to build us up with the stuff they hadn't had, hence the birth of the "sugar sandwich"
 Weird food - Crankcase
My mum always fed me spoonfuls of malt extract from a jar, which was horrid. And something called bile beans. Anyone remember them?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bile_Beans

I can only imagine her Victorian mother had given them to her and she carried on the process.

Might explain a few things.

Weird food - Manatee
>> I guess most of us had parents that were war kids, deep memories of rationing,
>> which only ended the year I was born. I think they were determined to to
>> build us up with the stuff they hadn't had, hence the birth of the "sugar
>> sandwich"

Noticeably so. If my mother opened half a pound of butter she would scrape every trace of butter off wrapper. Scraps of pastry were always cooked, not thrown away. And they were visibly troubled when food was left uneaten.
 Weird food - Robin O'Reliant
>> I guess most of us had parents that were war kids, deep memories of rationing,
>> which only ended the year I was born. I think they were determined to to
>> build us up with the stuff they hadn't had, hence the birth of the "sugar
>> sandwich"
>>

My teeth have over the years been paying the price for sugar sandwiches we were given as kids. Ribena was a daily drink in the belief it was good for you, though now we know it was liquid tooth decay.
 Weird food - CGNorwich
The discovery as to how to extract sugar from cane and then beet was a black day for humanity. Created the Atlantic slave trade and more recently epidemics of heart disease!, tooth decay and obesity.
 Weird food - Dog
Funnily enuff, I lived on sugar as a young goat, but I burnt it orf - unlike today's kids with their 'smart' phones and tablets.

Do kids play games these days I wonder? of course they do - on-line.
 Weird food - Dog
Dog pee more like it!
 Weird food - car4play
>> margarine and sprinkled with sugar.

Ah. The addictive and lethal combination of fat and sugar
 Weird food - Dog
Bad fat too - hydrogen-hated trans fat. I don't think I'll make old bones :(
 Weird food - MD
Surely you have Sir :-)
 Weird food - bathtub tom
>>I don't think I'll make old bones

Don't worry about it until you reach more than your three score and ten, like the rest of us coffin dodgers.
 Weird food - Dog
Erm, I'm 70 this year :o)
 Weird food - Ted

You young whippersnapper, Perro !

Jaffa Cakes with a dollop of egg mayo on top and a slice of pickled gherkin. Try them.................'cos I won't !

That's why I've made 76 !

Ted
 Weird food - Lygonos
Sauce Doubledecker sandwich - bread/ketchup/bread/brown sauce/bread

Older brother used to make salt and vinegar sandwiches (the condiments, not the crisps!) but I preferred my sauce ones.
 Weird food - John Boy
Parts of this topic have reminded me of "The Perishers", a cartoon strip which used to be in the Daily Mirror. Marlon, one of the characters, favoured inch-thick ketchup sandwiches which would splat over the others when he took the first bite.
 Weird food - Manatee
>>Parts of this topic have reminded me of "The Perishers"

Eyeballs in the sky!
Latest Forum Posts