Non-motoring > Emulsion paint quality Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 18

Emulsion paint quality - bathtub tom
I'm painting the walls in this new place I've bought. I thought I'd just do them in magnolia for now and SWMBO could decide later if she wants it changed, so I bought a ten litre tub of Crown matt. It doesn't cover. The room I'm working on has pale green and pale blue walls. I've now rollered them two coats, but I can still see the old colour in places. Is it me or is paint not now as good? Should I have got 'trade' paint?
 Emulsion paint quality - Bromptonaut
We learned that cheap DIY shed own brand emulsion was no bargain in our first home together where it gave poor coverage compared to Dulux or whatever. Crown though is, or at least was, a reasonable brand.

If the old colour visible 'in places' I wonder if you're spreading it to far?
 Emulsion paint quality - sooty123
A lot of paint is rubbish and thin, i think it's to do with low VOC. Good for the environment but not much cop at its job.
Try a good quality undercoat first.
 Emulsion paint quality - smokie
He's on emulsion Sooty so VOC is less likely (as is an undercoat - though having bought some cheap stuff once I used it as an undercoat to Dulux emulsion, to kill a colour!)
 Emulsion paint quality - Terry
With a colour change - particularly light over darker, two coats would be the minimum.

It may be you are rolling it too thin - with the third put on a much heavier coat - but not so much that you get drips or runs. Better to spend a few pounds on an extra tin of paint than several hours doing more coats!
 Emulsion paint quality - zippy
I have just used 8 x 5l tins of Dulux Trade Diamond White Matt (lounge, dining room and all three halls including walls and ceilings).

It's not cheap at £50 a can but it does a good job. It has a great finish using rollers.

I am currently going through the pain of painting our interior doors white. They were stained very dark brown by the previous owner and I'm even having difficulty with the recommended Zinsser primer / undercoat. I have gone with a white undercoat. I think I should have gone grey and lightened it to white over several coats. 6 coats so far and the stain is still showing through!

Emulsion paint quality - smokie
I think my worst painting experience was the lounge ceiling daughter's first house, previously occupied by heavy smokers who I imagine never left the room. It was yellow, and even the special nicotine covering paints took a few coats before it stopped bleeding through.
 Emulsion paint quality - Dog
I've always *hated* painting ceilings. I even tried a Wagner paint sprayer once - that was a disaster, I cleaned the damn thing and sent it back to Mr Bezos.

I finally 'sussed' the modus back in ye olde quintessetial Cornish country cottidge:

Load the roller up Big time - lay it on the ceiling thick, working away for the window/s, then start spreading it out.
 Emulsion paint quality - Clk Sec
>> I am currently going through the pain of painting our interior doors white. They were
>> stained very dark brown by the previous owner and I'm even having difficulty with the
>> recommended Zinsser primer / undercoat. I have gone with a white undercoat. I think I
>> should have gone grey and lightened it to white over several coats. 6 coats so
>> far and the stain is still showing through!

I think you could have saved yourself a lot of work by using a sealant.

Emulsion paint quality - bathtub tom
>> I am currently going through the pain of painting our interior doors white. They were
>> stained very dark brown by the previous owner

I've yet to tackle the same. I think nearly every door in the place has a dark brown something on them. I'm reckon it may be easier to replace them. The skirting boards must have been painted with the carpets down, consequently they've got bits of carpet stuck to them and the carpets were overpainted, but they're all going. The place looks like it was painted by a blind man, applied with a trowel and spread around with a broom!
 Emulsion paint quality - sherlock47
The Dulux shop does a trade white emulsion under a a different brand name. Armstead?? at a significant discount. Seems to be the trade paint of choice from seeing the choices made by trade shoppers. I have used previously, but it was branded something differently - there was an issue over naming and copyright.

This is worth a read www.thedecoratorsforum.com/armstead-vs-dulux-trade-paint/

Emulsion paint quality - CGNorwich
Brilliant white walls, ceiling, walls and doors? Not a fan of colour then?
 Emulsion paint quality - VxFan
Maybe trying to save on electricity by having a bright environment ;)
 Emulsion paint quality - zippy
>> Brilliant white walls, ceiling, walls and doors? Not a fan of colour then?
>>
>>

It's a change. Nice and bright. The floor is oak.
 Emulsion paint quality - Zero
>> I have just used 8 x 5l tins of Dulux Trade Diamond White Matt (lounge,
>> dining room and all three halls including walls and ceilings).
>>

>> I am currently going through the pain of painting our interior doors white.

Jeez, sounds like you are going for the operating theatre look.
 Emulsion paint quality - slowdown avenue
i've always said . you get what you pay for with paint. if its cheap .th've taken something out.
 Emulsion paint quality - CGNorwich
>> i've always said . you get what you pay for with paint. if its
>> cheap .th've taken something out.
>>
True. The something in emulsion paint is normally titanium dioxide which is the best white pigment with good opacity. It’s quite expensive and other less effective pigments are substituted
 Emulsion paint quality - Robin O'Reliant
A mate who is a painter & decorator will only use Dulux, he reckons it is the best of the lot.
 Emulsion paint quality - Kevin
For white gloss I can recommend Crown Next Generation Plus. Previously I've always used Dulux simply because that's what my dad used but a pro decorator in our local told me that the Crown stuff is much better, particularly for painting areas that don't get much direct sunlight while it's drying (like our hallway).
I tried it and the difference is very noticeable. It's a brighter white than the Dulux gloss.
Latest Forum Posts