Non-motoring > Closing Ulster bank account Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 9

Closing Ulster bank account - bathtub tom
Some years ago, I opened an internet savings account with these clowns. I never deposited anything, as they made it so difficult. I get annual statements for £0. As I'm moving house I thought I better close this account to avoid any mail arriving with my name and account details. Trying online, I fall at the first hurdle as they don't recognise my sort code!
I can't find any phone numbers that don't come back as 'not recognised'.

Any suggestions?
 Closing Ulster bank account - Manatee
Ulster Bank is/was owned by NatWest. Following Brexit, it sold the Irish operation to the mainly Irish government owned PTSB, probably because it had been operated under passporting arrangements which no longer applied.

Unless something else has happened, I assume it still has the operation in NI. Was the bank address on your account in NI or Eire? If the latter you would presumably be or become a customer of PTSB.

If you are looking for numbers check you are looking at ulsterbank.co.uk not ulsterbank.ie - appreciate you probably have.
 Closing Ulster bank account - smokie
You can look up your sort code here, might help

www.sortcodes.co.uk/sort-code-checker
>> You can look up your sort code here, might help

Useful! Gives me a phone number I hadn't come across before - they shut at 17:30!
>>Was the bank address on your account in NI or Eire?

The statement I received today had a Belfast address on it (BT9 5UB).
Finally found a phone number that worked and got through this morning.

I have to write a letter stating I wish to close the account. It's an internet savings account for chrissake! The address has nine lines in it!

It was fun getting them to read out the address to me, in a broad Belfast accent. I reckon I had to get them to repeat each line twice and to phonetically spell some words. They kept wanting me to look it up on the internet, but I explained I was nowhere near my PC.
 Closing Ulster bank account - Fullchat
Did they know your Da?

Taxi for 1.
 Closing Ulster bank account - Bromptonaut
>> It was fun getting them to read out the address to me, in a broad
>> Belfast accent. I reckon I had to get them to repeat each line twice and
>> to phonetically spell some words. They kept wanting me to look it up on the
>> internet, but I explained I was nowhere near my PC.

NI is the one UK accent I really struggle with. Used to work with a lovely young lady from that part of the world - I was forever saying pardon.

On phonetics I was on a call yesterday with an Italian interpreter. She used Italian cities so my email involved Bari, Udine, Torino, Torino.
 Closing Ulster bank account - smokie
BUTT?

What on earth were you discussing?? :-)

I realise it's your email address...)
 Closing Ulster bank account - Bromptonaut
The actual subject matter was around right to reside and qualification for benefits.

Now I've seen the paperwork I think, for once, DWP have got it right...
Latest Forum Posts