Non-motoring > Neighbours' Council Tax Bands Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 22

Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - Ambo
Is there a source where I can check what bands apply to houses in my neighbourhood please?
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - smokie
www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-council-tax-band/search
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - Bromptonaut
Or this cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/inits.asp

A bit quicker.
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - Zero
Its often best to remain ignorant about the bands...........
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - Clk Sec
>> Its often best to remain ignorant about the bands...........

I might, if I woz you...

Last edited by: Clk Sec on Mon 7 Feb 22 at 11:09
Google your own council. Click on Council Tax Bands. Enter your post code.
>> Google your own council. Click on Council Tax Bands. Enter your post code.

Works for some councils but not all.

I've spent several years in professional roles where I've needed to check Council Tax as a matter of routine. The variation between councils when accessing CT information is massively variable.

A few in our area were so difficult of access that I saved the page to my bookmarks...

Particular offenders were Corby and a consortium called the Anglia Revenues Partnership.
This looks like a pretty good site for checking council tax bands:

www.homipi.co.uk

Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - PeterS
Worth noting that generally if you carry out significant home improvements, extensions etc that would push your property into a higher band the council tax band is only reassessed when the property is sold. So you can easily end up with the situation where two similar properties have had similar extensions, one subsequently changes hands and the other does not and so they have different bands.
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - Rudedog
I've mentioned this in the past and successful challenged my council as houses around me were far plusher but in a lower banding, I can't even remember if anybody visited my house but we ended up with about £3.5k.
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - Manatee
I've decided I don't like council tax. It looks as if the new house will be at least band F, almost certainly G going by what others are rated at. The bunglyhole was a D.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I got the bungalow deleted from the register when it was demolished, so I haven't paid rates there while I have been living elsewhere. Had I labelled the rebuild 'improvement', I think because there has been no land transaction it might have stayed as Band D, with an improvement marker, until it changed hands. As it is, I suspect it will receive a new rating. My "rates" will increase form around £1940 to £3230 if it's a G. Ouch.

I've just looked up the neighbours' bands, and several are G, and they're houses I wouldn't swap for. I could do with knowing the formula if there is one.
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - bathtub tom
I used to be band C while my neighbour in an identical house was band D. They asked if they could quote my banding to get theirs reduced. Mine was upped to band D - B******!
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - Dog
I dididit the other way (ooh er missus) property in Truro was band E. Similar owse next door was D.

Mine had a rather nice conservatory, but basically the same
I challenged the rating and goddit rebanded to D for Dog.
There's no formula as such.

Council Tax bandings are based on market values in April 1991.

For a new build the best you can do is see what a home of similar type, construction, square footage/metreage etc was changing hands for at that time.

A cross check might be current values and then 'de indexing' to estimate values from 31 years ago.

If you challenge the Valuation Officer's estimate then he/she is likely to come back showing their workings which you could then challenge.

www.gov.uk/guidance/understand-how-council-tax-bands-are-assessed#council-tax-band-assessments

You can pursue a challenge all the way to the Valuation Tribunal

www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk/forms/appeal-forms/council-tax-liability-2/
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - Falkirk Bairn
People complain about rates / council tax - say £2,000 or more

A son lives in Texas - he bought a new build - the buy price was indexed back to what the house would have cost a good number of years ago - charges are some 2.5 to 3.xx% depending on areas.

The annual charge is almost $30,000 - payable in full or in instalments + 1.5% if not paid before 31st January - eye watering!

Petrol, gas & electricity might be cheap + income tax is less than the UK 40%/45% but local taxes & health insurance are definitely NOT!
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - RichardW
There's a reasonable guide to doing it on Money Saving Expert: www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/council-tax-bands-change/

You just need to figure out a valuation for it now, then count back to 1991 value. I presume this is what the council will do, but they probably have their own valuation system which might give a different answer!
>> You just need to figure out a valuation for it now, then count back to
>> 1991 value. I presume this is what the council will do, but they probably have
>> their own valuation system which might give a different answer!

The valuation list for Council Tax is maintained by the Valuation Office Agency, a branch of HM Revenue and Customs. Their system is likely to rely on comparables as they will have a database of both current valuations at the April 91 'tone date' of the list and the database of actual sales around that time.
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - CGNorwich
And you won’t be getting a £150 energy credit. Limited to bands A to D
>> And you won’t be getting a £150 energy credit. Limited to bands A to D

An evil idea. The last thing people in poverty need is a loan.

That's one of the systemic problems that the Conservatives exist to perpetuate. Money that trickles down from their clients to the rest of us mainly does so by way of loans, be it enormous mortgages or PCPs.
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - Crankcase
To my understanding, the £150 Council tax rebate isn't a loan, it's a gift. The £200 energy bill thing is a loan to the energy companies to pass on to electricity users and then recoup on behalf of the Government..

If the number of households overall increases over the next few years, then they will make a profit, and the converse is true, so theoretically they could make a loss too.

I think that's right.
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - smokie
Someone somewhere said the electricity one is unfair because if you move into a house subsequent to the "loan" you are effectively paying back someone else's loan. I suppose if you are moving on from another property it cancels out though.
 Neighbours' Council Tax Bands - zippy
That’s correct. First time buyers will be saddled with the load though they may not have benefited from the £200.
>>To my understanding, the £150 Council tax rebate

Ah right, I wasn't really aware of the council tax reduction, just Sunak's iffy loan idea. Thanks.
Latest Forum Posts