Non-motoring > How busy is the busiest forum? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 20

How busy is the busiest forum? - Iffy
There's anything between 200 and 400 posts most days on C4P.

That's more than some other forums I've looked at, but I wonder is there a forum - any subject - which is always mega-busy?

And what's the level of posting in really busy forums - a thousand or more a day?

I don't want the management here to think there's a rabbit away, so there's no need to post a link or even name names, just the subject and an idea of the number of posts will do.

How busy is the busiest forum? - Perky Penguin
I visit a forum whose stats are

Threads: 344,416, Posts: 5,305,439, Members: 305,414
Most members ever on line at aonce was 11,419

Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Sat 25 Sep 10 at 16:37
 How busy is the busiest forum? - RattleandSmoke
The stats for the forum I used to moderate are:-

Threads: 1,282,332, Posts: 27,470,141, Members: 534,681
Good grief rattle - dare I ask what that site was? I thought the one I quoted was was big but yours is bigger than mine!
 How busy is the busiest forum? - Tooslow
" yours is bigger than mine! "

Now what would PP say if he saw someone post this? :-)

John
I would think they were right - many penguins are not well endowed and the temperatures don't help much!
It was a student site I used to be a moderator off, I think the motoring section alone is bigger than C4P and perhaps nearly as busy as HJ was. I left due to a big disagreement with some of the medical moderators. I felt certain parts of the site were becoming far too explicit and the fact I was no longer a student there was just no point on carrying on.

Also I met my ex from there and the bounderies from real life and the internet became blured. So I just left and never posted on it since!.

It was about the time I discovered HJ #

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forums

Snobery was also rife which is another reason I left. Its toned down a bit more now and has moved away from its Oxbridge origins.
 How busy is the busiest forum? - Bigtee
Rattle thanks for that link just been on the sexual health pages the dirty pink fluffy dice go see what your missing!!

I have saved that site to my favorites.!!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 25 Sep 10 at 20:42
Yep its exactly what the big heated argument in the moderators forum was about. I didn't think it was appropiate for younger people on the site as its also aimed at GCSE students not just university ones.

I just felt the balance was tipping to the extreme.

I would remove a lot of the stuff and another mod hated me doing that, some of the others didn't agree either so a lot of left at the same time. I met a very good friend from that site so its not all bad :).
 How busy is the busiest forum? - Manatee
>> I visit a forum whose stats are
>>
>> Threads: 344,416, Posts: 5,305,439, Members: 305,414
>> Most members ever on line at at once was 11,419

Interesting forum PPRuNe.org

A flight forum must provoke limitless frustration in a penguin?
 How busy is the busiest forum? - sherlock47
PPRuNe.org

Good site, but there appear to be some people on who are not who/what the say they are! Dangerous?

How busy is the busiest forum? - movilogo
Among motoring, I think Pistonheads forum is busiest.

Among other UK forums, Money Saving Expert is one of the busiest.

There are some forums which are predominantly for ladies eg. Mumsnet which are also too busy.

Some forums in Social Networking sites like Facebook and Orkut are also mega busy.
Indeed! But my user name there is Soaring Eagle!
 How busy is the busiest forum? - merlin
Gaia online is the largest according to www.big-boards.com/ with 1839654081 posts and 23295186 members...
I see forum I moderated is the 42nd busiest in the world. The oxbridge guy who started is known as D must have made a fortune over it. Its now owned a media company but it was run from this student dorms. I did some work for its sister site coursework.info. I had to basically sort it all out and got paid about £100 per day. I felt it was a bit imoral though.
...1839654081 posts and 23295186 members...

Mmm, that's a few more than we get in technical, isn't it?

I had a quick look at one of the bigger sites with avatars a few months back.

Didn't really understand it, but the main problem for me was the forum side which seemed to comprise of members swearing at each other.

Waste of space.

How busy is the busiest forum? - movilogo
For me quality of posting is more important than quantity.

I stopped visiting piston heads as it is somewhat yob culture.

This forum is good as people are mostly matured and decent.

In some forums, there are more swear words exchange than actually anything useful.

The moment members indulge in personal attacks, the forum is doomed. That's why moderation is important for a healthy forum future.
Matured and decent - sounds like Cheddar!
 How busy is the busiest forum? - Clk Sec
I am amazed by some of the figures quoted above. How do they do it; is there a lesson to be learned?
 How busy is the busiest forum? - Cliff Pope
>> . How do they do it;
>> is there a lesson to be learned?
>>

I hope not. If you look at a new thread and then when you go back half an hour later there are already 10 pages of new posts it's impossible to keep up and totally pointless.
A bit like having Alzheimers - just say something irrelevant and then nobody's listening or caring anyway.
...If you look at a new thread and then when you go back half an hour later there are already 10 pages of new posts it's impossible to keep up and totally pointless...

I agree.

There must be an optimum posting rate for a forum.

It needs to be busy enough to be conversational, but not so busy that a fairly regular visitor can't keep up.

Latest Forum Posts