Non-motoring > If another member tries to rile you, often or .... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 94

If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - L'escargot
....... otherwise, then do what I do. I ignore them during the thread in question, or in some cases forever thereafter. I only have one person in the latter category, and I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of seeing his name in print.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Iffy
Because a lot of us use silly made up names and I can't put a face to any name, I often forget who might have annoyed me.

Probably a good thing.

If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - DP
Some other forums I've frequented have an "ignore" list, to which you can add other users, and their posts are automatically hidden from your view in subsequent threads.
My advice is to just ignore manually the stuff that winds you up. Just as in real life, some people occasionally say things on here that annoy me, but then in another thread they'll say something interesting or something I agree with completely. Healthy conversation is surely as much about conflicting point of views and having people challenge your own ideas as it is about finding things in common. And don't get riled when people disagree with you. It's not personal. It's an internet forum.
Unless you're talking about personal insults of course, which is something quite different.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Fursty Ferret
Especially on something like this, where the tendency is to write things that you'd never consider saying to someone face-to-face, and where the potential consequences and hurt caused are never considered.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - BiggerBadderDave
I couldn't really care less what gets said over the internet or what anybody thinks about me, but I sometimes think it would be fun if I could send an electric shock to anyone on the forum who disagreed with me.

Mind you, Zero would have been well barbecued by now wouldn't he?
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Pat
>>where the tendency is to write things that you'd never consider saying to someone face-to-face, <<

That's the secret. Never write anything you wouldn't be prepared to say face to face.

Pat
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - -
If there weren't a few with a different outlook and a sense of humour it would be a boring place.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Zero
Oh I say! Just because I said I got Nectar points?
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Stuu
I guess its sometimes a shame when people are deliberately antagonistic which sometimes stifles an otherwise decent thread, but at the end of the day, there are always attention seeking numbnuts in any group of people and you can just live in hope that occasionally they say something halfway helpful/positive.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Robin O'Reliant
The spats on here (and HJ) are fairly mild and civilised. I frequent a cycling forum where people on a couple of occasions have wished other members dead.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Runfer D'Hills
Part of the fun for me is reading other people's occasionally outrageous posts. If I'm in the mood I'll bite back or if not I won't. The trick is in assessing whether they are serious or just having a bit of fun. As for caring what anyone else thinks of me, for the most part I don't really I'm afraid. Sorry.
>> The spats on here (and HJ) are fairly mild and civilised.

I don't believe in getting involved in spats. If someone is obnoxious I just ignore them. As I said, one member is on my list of "ignored forever hereafter".
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Armel Coussine
>> As I said, one member is on my list of "ignored forever hereafter".

What did I say? I can't have meant any harm by it...
>> >> As I said, one member is on my list of "ignored forever hereafter".
>>
>> What did I say? I can't have meant any harm by it...
>>

Relax Armel, it's not you, as well you know. And I'm not going to give the obnoxious curmudgeon the satisfaction of seeing his name in print.
>>his name in print<<

Well, that let's me out then:)

Pat
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - No FM2R
>>the obnoxious curmudgeon

Well, I don't think I'm old enough to be a curmudgeon.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Perky Penguin
A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next person, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy. They ease the pain by turning hurt into humour They attack maudlinism because it devalues genuine sentiment. Nature, having failed to equip them with a servicable denial mechanism, has endowed them with astute perception and sly wit.
Curmudgeons are mockers and debunkers whose bitterness is a symptom rather than a disease. They can't compromise their standards and can't manage the suspension of disbelief necessary for feigned cheerfulness. Their awareness is a curse.
Perhaps curmudgeons have got a bad name in the same way that the messenger is blamed for the message: They have the temerity to comment on the human condition without apology. They not only refuse to applaud mediocrity, they howl it down with morose glee. Their versions of the truth unsettle us, and we hold it against them, even though they soften it with humour.

Any hands up from people who identify with that?
Agree with everything you so eloquently say PP. I also concurrently believe that cynicism of others and indeed with one's own failings can increase exponentially with age and experience until one reaches a point where taking anything too seriously becomes an effort too far.
...A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved...

Perky lifted the above post from here: www.concentric.net/~marlowe/curdef.shtml

And it's only fair to credit the author, John Winokur.

The dictionary definition of curmudgeon is much less flattering, but I don't think we have a true example of either type of person on here.

Thanks for mentioning the source! I did use " --------" to indicate that it was not an original thought of mine. I see a curmudgeon in the mirror whenever I bother to shave!
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Dog
>>The dictionary definition of curmudgeon is much less flattering, but I don't think we have a true example of either type of person on here<<

Oh, I dunno ... I won't name names, but there's Colonel Mustard, Reverend Green, Professor Plum,
and don't forget there's Mrs Peacock.

:}

>> Oh, I dunno ... I won't name names, but there's Colonel Mustard, Reverend Green, Professor
>> Plum,
>> and don't forget there's Mrs Peacock.

Haven't a cluedo, who on earth could Ms Peacock be..;)
>>Haven't a cluedo, who on earth could Ms Peacock be..;)<<

(hehehe!) The cluedo is in the Pea ;)
>> >>the obnoxious curmudgeon
>>
>> Well, I don't think I'm old enough to be a curmudgeon.

No, but you are not lacking in any other qualification...
>>you are not lacking in any other qualification...

that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.....[sniff]...........I love you.
>> that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.....[sniff]...........I love you.

Just to make your cup run over FMR, you are old enough to be a curmudgeon. Many nippers even down to babes in arms could give lessons in curmudgeonliness to Ebenezer Scrooge in a bad mood.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - paulb
>> Many nippers even down to babes in arms could give lessons in curmudgeonliness to
>> Ebenezer Scrooge in a bad mood.
>>

I'm 34 and Mrs B reckons I can curmudge for Great Britain, which emphasises your point. Bah mumble grumph.
>>Just to make your cup run over FMR, you are old enough to be a curmudgeon

Dammit, is there nothing I can't be?
>> >>Just to make your cup run over FMR, you are old enough to be a
>> curmudgeon
>>
>> Dammit, is there nothing I can't be?

Alas not, wrong lodge you see.
Did you get your negatives confused Z?

On another point, I'm not sure that to keep on mentioning that you're ignoring someone on purpose actually counts as ignoring them; Its more just refusing to speak to them even though you're still paying attention to what they do.

Surely to really ignore someone you'd have to not only not mention that you were ignoring them but actually not even be aware that you are ignoring them. If you're ignoring them on purpose, then you're not really ignoring them since trying to ignore them is a reaction to their actions and thus ignoring them is specifically not ignoring them. And talking about ignoring them just makes it even more obvious that you're not.

I suspect that even deciding to ignore someone means that you're that you're not actually ignoring them. In order to really be ignoring them you'd have to decide to ignore them and then forget that you'd decided that but still ignore them anyway more or less by accident.

Actually ignoring them would mean that you couldn't even remember the reasons that you decided to ignore them without payng attention to them and thus failing to ignore them.

As an aside, I rather like Zero's point that if someone is ignoring you then you can say or do anything you want. I might try that with the kids, a bit too risky to try with the wife though.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 08:05
>> I don't believe in getting involved in spats. If someone is obnoxious I just ignore
>> them. As I said, one member is on my list of "ignored forever hereafter".

I am sure he is mortified.
...As I said, one member is on my list of "ignored forever hereafter"...

I couldn't be bothered to waste energy on actively ignoring any member.

Not for long, anyway.

And it's rather silly ignoring something called 'squigglyblonk542' which only exists on the internet.

Les,

Please feel free to ignore the above post. :)
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Clk Sec
I would think that most of the regulars know who you are referring to. Not a bad chap as far as I'm concerned, although the occasional pinch of salt might be called for.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Ian (Cape Town)
Arkell v Pressdram (1971) refers.
Quite so Ian, quite so !

:-))
I've used that one professionally, as well!
'Thank you for your correspondence of x instant.
After consultation with colleagues, I would advise you to seek further in formation on this matter with the wisdom displayed in the case of Arkell v Pressdram (1971).
Yours sincerely....
etc etc etc

Gotta love it!
Totally ! My most often used response to an unreasonable business request is much lower key but usually takes the form of.....

"With reference to the above unfortunately we are unable to comply with this request on this occasion and to be clear, it is also unlikely that we would consider doing so in the foreseeable future."

Have to say, I prefer the brevity of your version !
>>That's the secret. Never write anything you wouldn't be prepared to say face to face.

Well said, Madam PDA.
I wouldn't dare write down what I would say.
Zero, that is the joy of being able to insult folk vicariously!
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Tooslow
I don't write the way I speak.
I don't speak the way I think.
I don't think the way I should.

Not original I'm afraid. I don't know who first came out with it.

I try not to offend. There are things worth fighting for but I don't think there's anything worth getting your knickers (sorry, lingerie) in a knot over in a web forum. I'll argue, and I'll tease but ultimately I'll walk away if it's getting heated. To steal another quote, I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

I do find that we argue amongst ourselves and then Pat or AC will come along and say something rather more adult. Sorry if that's aged you, chaps :-)

John

Well, I'm off in a hissyfit now:)

Pat

If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Tooslow
I did say I'll tease :-)

John
I tend to think that AC and I are a bit like two minds far apart, but thinking alike:)

I think of him as a fondly remembered eccentric and very clever Uncle.
He thinks of me as that silly unruly child that talks nonsense!.....but he puts up with me anyway.

I think age and life in general mellows you so much.

I wish I could have learned that I wasn't always right, and that life was too short to bear grudges a lot earlier on....most people do, but it seemed to allude me somehow.

I came into the BR some 4 years ago, fighting the world as usual, and never intended to stay.

I'm glad I did though, I've learned a lot from you lot:)

Pat
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - MD
And you and that Geezer aforementioned have quite a bit to offer. Creep mode off.

M
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Hugo
>> ....... otherwise, then do what I do. I ignore them during the thread in question,
>> or in some cases forever thereafter.

Quite agree, however, sometimes in the heat of the moment one wants to put a person in their place.

If you post something then get some half wit fails to pick up on the facts within, then has the front to belittle what you wrote then, whilst ignoring it may be the best move, very often a reply ensues!

Act in haste - repent at your leasure.

That's not aimed at you BTW L'escargot ;)

[If he doesn't reply to this then we know who he's ignoring LOL!]

>>
>> [If he doesn't reply to this then we know who he's ignoring LOL!]

Don't worry Humph, I have that accolade. I perform a very useful service on this forum, acting as a conduit for the ignore list allowing the rest of you to tease at will.
>> Don't worry Humph,

I'm innocent Guv, it wasn't me, I wasn't there...It was that Hugo. Maybe he looks a bit like me in a hoodie.

:-)

>> I'm innocent Guv, it wasn't me, I wasn't there...It was that Hugo. Maybe he looks
>> a bit like me in a hoodie.

Sorry, far too much beer and cava last night, all the H's merged into one!
This fred is akin to an Agatha Christie who dunnnit IMO, all are suspects, including the molluscan class Gastropod,
Until the guilty party is revealed.
I've got a fiver on the butler.
I am Spartacus.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Manatee
I'm Spartacus!
No, I'm Spartacus !
Do we have a Silly thread?

Edited to add :-)
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 26 Sep 10 at 09:17
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - swiss tony
Reading this thread has somehow reminded me of this.......
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno ;-)
...somehow reminded me of this...

Speaking of dismemberment, I am reliably informed the following exchange took place between two of our soldiers in Afghanistan after a roadside bombing:

Wounded soldier: "I've lost a leg."

Soldier's comrade: "No you haven't, it's over here."

If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Cliff Pope
"If you your lips
Would keep from slips
Of five things have a care.
Of whom you speak, to whom you speak,
And how and when and where."

It just sprang to mind, but I don't know where it's from.
Augustus William Hare, #24 ~

www.famousquotes.com/category/cause/
While we're on to the subject of quotes, the one we have actually painted on our kitchen wall reads...

"Those who mind don't matter if those who matter don't mind."

Can't remember where it came from. Might have been the Muppets for all I know but I like it.
>> Can't remember where it came from. Might have been the Muppets for all I know
>> but I like it.

It's not that easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that
...actually painted on our kitchen wall reads...

I have: 'Gyproc 1.2m X 1.6m' on my kitchen wall.

Must get round to decorating sometime.

If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Manatee
>> It's not that easy being green
>> Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
>> When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
>> Or something much more colorful like that
>>

Kermit!

I had a Saab 96 that colour...
>>"Those who mind don't matter if those who matter don't mind."<<

Came across that one 20 years ago and orften reflect upon the wisdom therein.
The full version goes " Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter, don't mind".
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 26 Sep 10 at 12:57
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>"Those who mind don't matter if those who matter don't mind."<<
>>
>> Came across that one 20 years ago and orften reflect upon the wisdom therein.
>> The full version goes " Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter, don't
>> mind".
>>
I've been reflecting on it all morning and I still can't understand it.

>> I've been reflecting on it all morning and I still can't understand it.
>>

Nor me, but the simple word change and comma in D's quote makes all clear.
On my kitchen wall I have..

'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

and..

'When all else fails, hug the cat'

and..

'I only have a kitchen because it came with the house'

Pat
On my kitchen wall I have:

Brown 2 pounds of lean ground beef and drain all the grease off and add to the pot.
Now add one 14.5 ounce can of beef broth and one 8 ounce can of salt free tomato sauce.
Add 1 hot pepper (Serrano, Jalapeno) of your choice to the and bring to a boil. When the boil starts add drop 1.
Drop 1:
1 Tablespoon of onion powder
2 Teaspoons of garlic powder
1 Tablespoon of Chili Powder
Cover the pot and reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour. Remove the pepper and crush the juice into the pot. Now its time to add Drop 2 to the pot.
Drop 2:
2-1/2 Tablespoons light chili powder
2 Teaspoons cumin
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
1/4 Teaspoon white pepper
1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cube beef bullion
1/2 cube chicken bullion
1/2 Teaspoon brown sugar
1 pk Sazon Goya
Continue boiling with lid on for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes add the last drop.
Drop 3:
2 Teaspoons Mexene Chili Powder
1 Teaspon cumin
Salt to taste
Cover it up and simmer for 15 minutes more and serve it up.
I have found out what Sazon Goya is but where can one buy it? Speaking as a man who cooks for one person (usually) what do you serve this tasty creation with? Plain rice or something more exotic?
Substitue the Sazon Goya with two tablespoons of a sweet mexican salza from a jar,

I prefer to use three scotch bonnet peppers instead of the one jalapeno.

Serve over tortilla chips, sprinkled with cheese then browned under the gril
or
Spoon over a hot dog to make a chile dog
or
Spoon over a baked jacket potato
or
spread over a grilled nan.

Don't fancy any of those serving suggestions. Rice sounds better. Perhaps a real real tortilla or two.

Scotch bonnet eh? One of us Zero. Worthy to be of the tribe of Finn MacCool, that race of giants.
Zero - thanks for the additional info. I may give it a try over the weekend. Thread drift - ISTR there is a chap in Devon who grows the world's hottest peppers as measured on the Scoville scale. I will search and report back
 List of hottest peppers - Perky Penguin
Some more info here
www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp
The full, full version goes:

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” (Dr. Seuss)

On my scullery wall I have:

If there is to be any peace, it can only come through being and not having.
Scullery?

wow haven't heard that for ages.
As my learned friend will know, the scullery is a separate room to the kitchen,
but they were all sculleries years ago in sowf lunden etc.,

bit like 'the front room' :)
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Fenlander
Scullery. Still a phrase used in the family due to old houses we visit.

Best scullery ever was the first room leading from the back door in an aunts Georgian house. White lime wash walls smelling of the combined odours of just a hind of damp and that green or red soap that came in big blocks and lasted ages (Fairy?). Belfast sink, huge taps and bleached wood draining boards. Door off led to a toilet off with cast high level cistern, white painted flint walls and a faded cartoon hanging up that referred to W C Grace.... not knowing the guy I didn't get the joke.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 26 Sep 10 at 13:38
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - DeeW
Could be related to the WC .....

Am always a little surprised when I see quaint eating places called "The Scullery" - who wants to eat with the washing up and laundry?
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Fenlander
Re: W C Grace. The wonder of the net. Ive found the image.... it was a hand coloured and framed version of this...

ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.126731533.jpg
>>Belfast sink, huge taps and bleached wood draining boards.<<

All the rage now in mock country homes, they'd scrub up nicely with Carbolic soap :)
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - Bigtee
they'd scrub up nicely with Carbolic soap. So would some folks mouth's on here.!! lol...
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - madf
A scullaery is useless without a scullery maid ...
I had a scullery maid once - her friends called her Mrs Penguin!
Got a scullery, Belfast sink, the lot.
Also a larder (not motoring related).
...Got a scullery, Belfast sink, the lot...

I can't read the word scullery without thinking of this song by whimsical British singer/songwriter Clifford T Ward.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JxXKiSjgO8&feature=related
What a talented man Clifford was.Its very tragic what happened to him,but his music will live on forever.Excellent.. (from one of the comments!)

Oh dear, you have just reminded me about his music.

That has drained all the energy and joy out of the day.
>>That has drained all the energy and joy out of the day.<<

You blimmin Curmudgeon!

:-D
...You blimmin Curmudgeon...

Quite right, I'm not going to give Zero the satisfaction of seeing his name in print.

Oh, damn, look what I've just done.

I hope L'e isn't riled by thread drift :)
You do realise you're all beginning to push your luck now........:)

If I was L'es I'd go off in a huff for a couple of days.

Pat
>> I hope L'e isn't riled by thread drift :)
>>

On the contrary. I'd got bored with the original topic anyway. A change is as good as a rest. Can someone come up with an appropriate new title?
>>Can someone come up with an appropriate new title?

Yes.

"L'escargot creates 100 post thread yet again" Well, near enough...
As one is being ignored, one has carte blanche to say what ones likes. No-one can be offended if they are ignoring you.
 If another member tries to rile you, often or .... - madf
Hmmm Clifford... the pits.

I prefer the scullery maid.
Latest Forum Posts