Non-motoring > Sheds any good for log burners? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 33

Sheds any good for log burners? - bathtub tom
I've just taken down my old (8' x 12') shed. I thought it was about to fall down on its own but it took three of us all afternoon to do it (with a chain saw and circular saw). Most of the timber is fine, but a good 20% is rotten. Do you think it's worth putting on freecycle, so I don't have to get such a large skip?
 Sheds any good for log burners? - Zero
Not good for burning - assume it has some preserver in it which will be oily and smokey, leaving tar behind in burner and chimney.

Sheds any good for log burners? - Dog
Build a bonfire, put the teachers on the top and the prefects in the middle.

:o}
 Sheds any good for log burners? - Manatee
Garden bonfire.
 Sheds any good for log burners? - R.P.
What Zero says
Big skip it is then. There were some enormous spiders in there and what looked like a rat's nest and tunnels under.
 Sheds any good for log burners? - CGNorwich
A big skip will cost you around £200 to hire. A bonfire will get rid of it in a few hours. Make it a New Year celebration wiht a few drinks.
 Sheds any good for log burners? - sooty123
I'd try it on free cycle, you never know what people want for nowt
 Sheds any good for log burners? - Lygonos
Amazing what they don't want for nowt but will pay for - tried to get rid of a 12ft snooker table for free on Gumtree some years ago and was a waste of time - never knew a snooker table could attract "tyre kickers".

Put it up again for £50 and sold within a day - worth more as scrap hardwood and slate but just wanted it gone (and someone else to shift the sod!)
I've found I can shift stuff for a quid on facebook marketplace that gets no response on freecycle and suchlike. Don't fancy my chances for getting rid of a rotten old shed. I'm trying to work out its volume to decide skip size.
Skips are expensive and don't I know it. If you can't burn it on site, then somebody might take it for fuel even if you have to cut it up a bit. I know my neighbour would, he has a solid fuel boiler and he'll burn anything. I've given him all my scrap timber, he loves pallets. Shame he's not next door to you instead.

I probably wouldn't put it in my stove but there are plenty of people who aren't so fussy.
 Sheds any good for log burners? - MD
Nowt like saving the planet :-)
Getting rid of this shed is becoming a nightmare. Of the three rubbish disposal/ skip hire companies I've checked out so far, they've all turned out shonky. Every one of them bounce back my emails and not one of their (so called) waste carrying licenses check out on the gov.uk website. There's other discrepancies, such as having a different address as another company of the same name, not showing up on google maps and only having a mobile number. I can see me loading it up into the back of the Yaris, except I'm only allowed so many trips to the tip each month!
Howls about: www.hippowaste.co.uk/
 Sheds any good for log burners? - Ambo
Burning treated timber, such as from sheds or pallets, in a log burner is a bad idea, on account of chemicals used in preservative impregnation processes. The Tanalith process, for example, uses copper, chrome and a***nic derivatives. Gases given off during combustion must surely be deleterious.
If it's old stuff it's possible it contains a***nic etc but tanalith hasn't contained copper, chromium and a***nic since at least Sept 2006. Probably why my fence posts rotted so quickly.

www.netregs.org.uk/environmental-topics/materials-fuels-and-equipment/more-hazardous-materials-topics/wood-preservatives/#:~:text=You%20can%20no%20longer%20use,under%20the%20BPR%20review%20programme.
>> If it's old stuff it's possible it contains a***nic etc but tanalith hasn't contained copper,
>> chromium and a***nic since at least Sept 2006. Probably why my fence posts rotted so
>> quickly.

The shed's thirty years old.
 Sheds any good for log burners? - Duncan
>> Howls about: www.hippowaste.co.uk/
>>

It's your fault. This has now popped up in the margin of my email page

tinyurl.com/yckmdva4
>>It's your fault. This has now popped up in the margin of my email page

tinyurl.com/yckmdva4

I get that with some sites. I never continue to 'em, although Hippo should be okay.
>> Howls about: www.hippowaste.co.uk/
>>

They're a bit dear. We've been using a skip firm in Aylesbury, I think a 6 yard skip is about £200. Those megabags are about £100 so when the holiday's over, ring around.

We must have had 10 or so skips and we'll need at least one more. somebody told me to save money and buy a trailer, cart all the rubbish myself, and sell the trailer after the build is finished. Sounded like hard work to me - you still have to pay to tip the rubbish unless you do it illegally as plenty do.
 Sheds any good for log burners? - neiltoo
Skip companies will be on holiday until next Tuesday, having enjoyed the builger's hChristmas break.

They're all a bit "rough".

8o)
 Sheds any good for log burners? - Ambo
>>They're all a bit "rough".

Like scaffolders, then.
>> >>They're all a bit "rough".
>>
>> Like scaffolders, then.
>>

I couldn't possibly comment. My scaffolder lives in the house opposite!

Nice man as it happens and very canny.

>> I couldn't possibly comment. My scaffolder lives in the house opposite!
>>
>> Nice man as it happens and very canny.

And these days, quite rich.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 30 Dec 21 at 13:10
He certainly is. Lives modestly, buys land by all accounts.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 30 Dec 21 at 13:15
They have gone from a service you tried to avoid using, to a service you are forced to use
Nobody wants to work off a ladder now, apart from the mastic man who charged a fortune anyway.
 Sheds any good for log burners? - sooty123
There's still a few old school builders who still will.
 Sheds any good for log burners? - tyrednemotional
>> There's still a few old school builders who still will.
>>

...which is fine if you're building a school..
 Sheds any good for log burners? - Duncan
>> He certainly is. Lives modestly, buys land by all accounts.
>>

I have heard - on pretty good authority - that they aren't making any more.
>> >> He certainly is. Lives modestly, buys land by all accounts.
>> >>
>>
>> I have heard - on pretty good authority - that they aren't making any more.

Your authority is poor. More land has appeared on La Palma. True, In the UK, its being redistributed around a bit, so choose your coastal purchase carefully.

Sheds any good for log burners? - tyrednemotional
...the Chinese are making it as well (much like they make everything else)....
Does it look as bad as Smokies battery operated car?
 Sheds any good for log burners? - legacylad
cheeky
Latest Forum Posts