Non-motoring > Universal Credits fine Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 9

Universal Credits fine - Rudedog
My wife who is a theatre nurse works part-time bank in a private hospital, during the second lock-down she effectively had no work has her hospital closed.

Encouraged by the Govt she applied for universal credit, she was given this and received roughly £90 each fortnight.

At the beginning of August her hospital re-opened and she returned to doing two days a week, at the same time she contacted (phone) the DWP and told them she had returned to work so did not need the payments anymore.

As you might guess they carried on paying the money right up until the end of September when they just stopped.

Yesterday my wife received a nice brown envelope from the DWP’s debit management department asking for £620 to be paid back for the time from August to September.

Ok bit of a pain but I guess it needs to be repaid.

BUT on top of the £620 they have slapped a £50 over payment fine!!! Saying that the fine is because we informed them too late about going back to work.

How is it our fault that one part of the DWP didn’t inform the payments part until nearly two months later when the payments suddenly stopped?

We both very aggrieved about his as this the first time either of us has made any claim in all of our working careers.

Any advice?

Should we challenge the fine… we have tried ringing but there doesn’t seem to be an obvious option to question the fine…. only pay them!

Universal Credits fine - Terry
I would certainly contest the fine but pay back the genuine overpayment. Paying the fine, even if small, may be interpreted as an implicit admission of guilt which could affect you in the future - credit rating etc.

If you have a note of the date, time, and who you spoke to this would add credibility.

With hindsight it may have been worth confirming the conversation by email or letter - you may act differently in the future.
 Universal Credits fine - Dog
Don't bother phoning them (*king waste of time) get in touch with your MP
 Universal Credits fine - Fullchat
As a matter of interest how does 9 (weeks) X £45/week (approx) amount to £620? I make it £405.

By administering the fine and stating that you were late informing them corroborates that they did receive the notification. The date is the issue. I'd sending the amount owed and questioning them as to how and when your notification was received. If they dispute your account ask them for evidence that their account is correct

Pity they are not so quick to address the Millions of £ being scammed out of them ad not being recouped.

I can well imagine them being another government department all working from home and as chaotic as the DVLA.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Thu 23 Dec 21 at 16:22
 Universal Credits fine - Bobby
Makes you realise how tough it must be for those that rely on every penny they get and DWP make a mess of it and then can’t be contacted.
Meanwhile you need to turn to foodbank to survive.

It’s a horrible world out there for a lot of folk who have to deal with DWP on a regular basis. Especially those on zero hour contracts and temporary jobs.
 Universal Credits fine - CGNorwich
"at the same time she contacted (phone) the DWP"

I think the recommended procedure is that you should log in to your Universal Credit Account and advise any change in circumstances on line. That way at least you have proof of your action.

To challenge the the fine you need to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration

www.gov.uk/mandatory-reconsideration

Good luck with that!

Universal Credits fine - Bromptonaut
Is this Universal Credit or New Style Job Seeker's Allowance?

As CG says the usual change of circs thing is to log into your Universal Credit account and either register a change of circumstances or put a note on the journal.

If she was paid via PAYE then the payroll details lodged by the Employer under Real Time Information should automatically be relayed to Universal Credit. The next monthly payment of Universal Credit would be reduced to reflect that.
Thanks all.

As far as I know the UC money just went straight into her bank account.

Unfortunately unbeknown to me she rang the DWP debit repayment number and has paid the money!!

As I expected the number to make the payments was answered promptly, apparently a recorded message said that in no circumstances could the issues be discussed, didn't stop my wife voicing her annoyance, she's now setup a £50 monthly repayment scheme.

Sorry for some of the vagueness but this is all second-hand info.

We've both agreed that we wouldn't do this again... fined for something that wasn't our fault and as this was our first time claiming anything we had no idea of the 'correct' way to do any of this.

Last edited by: Rudedog on Thu 23 Dec 21 at 22:38
 Universal Credits fine - Bromptonaut
I don't think there's anything to stop somebody accepting they've been overpaid but contesting the administrative penalty.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/problems-with-benefits-and-tax-credits/benefit-overpayments/ Whether it's worth the aggro is another question.

If you're a couple then Universal Credit should be claimed jointly and would be assessed on joint assets and income.

Were you a party to the claim?
OK I guess it must have been job seekers then as she did it as a sole claimant (although the letter does say UC unless that's a general catch-all?) .. shows how clued up we are.. it's whatever was being advised by the Govt for workers to claim if they couldn't be put on furlough.

As you've said we have other priorities and are very fortunate that we don't need to fight over £50.

Latest Forum Posts