Non-motoring > Replacement bike saddle Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 14

Replacement bike saddle - Bobby
I have a road bike but it is used very infrequently. Party of the reason being my backside gets really sore
A. The first time I go on my bike after a long while
B. Sitting anywhere after I have been on my bike
C. If I get on my bike within a day or two of last being on it!

It is a proper “road” saddle for a road bike but thinking I need to maybe swap it out for something less dynamic but more supportive/comfortable.

I realise one backside is different to the next one but anyone done this and can give any pointers on what to look for, how to “test” them and generally any advice?
 Replacement bike saddle - Ted

I was in Llandudno getting a train and noticed a bike shop opposite. There was a Pashley in the window with a Brooks leather saddle. I took a chance on asking if anyone sold them and was pointed to a shelf full of them.
I bought one and it's been on three bikes since. Currently a Raleigh EVO7 folder. I suffered from bummle misery but this is adjustable and has been a success.

Ted
 Replacement bike saddle - Duncan
1. There are various comfort saddles on the market, almost any of them would be better than the Brooks B17N 'cleaver' style of road saddle.

2. Wear the padded shorts or longs, that will help.

3. Repeated use will increase your tolerance.

4. Check that your posture is correct.

tinyurl.com/2p82ezk9

HTH as they say.
 Replacement bike saddle - Duncan
Too late for the edit.

This and some other helpful suggestions popped up on my screen after I sent my last post.

tinyurl.com/tnkr3nr6
 Replacement bike saddle - Dog
Try one of these and send it back if it's no bueno:

www.amazon.co.uk/Zacro-Cover%EF%BC%8CBike-Saddle-Waterproof-Mountain/dp/B01H4OL8QE

shortened link to restore page width
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Dec 21 at 10:20
 Replacement bike saddle - Bromptonaut
All three of my bikes (Brompton, Dawes Tourer and urban MTB) have Brooks saddles.

Two are standard B17, not the narrow N version Duncan mentions. The other is some sort of special edition that was £10 cheaper when kitting out the first Brompton 20 years ago. Lacks saddle bag loops but they're not needed on a B, otherwise near identical to the B17.

They're the most comfortable saddles I've ever had. Even 'breaking them in' was no effort - no idea if that's more an issue for bigger blokes.

They don't like getting wet and if left outside in rain they need covering but umpteen rides from the office to Euston in downpours never did any damage.

Not had cycle specific clothing in the last 35 years but proper shorts probably help if you're serious. Otherwise there's no substitute for daily use.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 20 Dec 21 at 09:18
 Replacement bike saddle - Manatee
I have one of these on my Cube EAPC. Very happy with it. Relative bargain at £50 until Friday. Very smart looking in Honey.

www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SASIEP/selle-italia-epoca-saddle

Not unlike a B17 but the leather is 'engineered'. Rumour has it that Brookes's saddles haven't been the same since the pre-BSE leather ran out.

A lightly used B17 went on the bike my dad built for me in about 1966. Never a problem. It was common to see them 'collapsed' which I put down to people who knew no better not adjusting them.

One has to inure to any saddle. One of the worst I've had was one of those 'gel' things. Almost whatever you use, your weight is on the sit-bones and they just have to get used to it.

Replacement bike saddle - zippy
Cyclists in Wales, beware…

road.cc/content/news/horrific-neck-injury-barbed-wire-strung-across-path-288853

Some sick sods about!
 Replacement bike saddle - Bobby
Cheers for all the suggestions. Strange that “hard leather saddles “ seem to be the go to recommendations rather than modern padded, gelled etc saddles!
 Replacement bike saddle - Runfer D'Hills
If I've not been on my bike for a week or two, it hurts a bit for the first couple of outings. But, if you use it regularly, your bum gets used to it. Padded saddles are OK for occasional/short distance users but can actually be more uncomfortable on longer runs.

Hard to explain in writing, but try if you can, to force more of your weight and effort through your feet, not to say that you shouldn't be touching the saddle, it is integral to your control of the bike, but try not to let as much of your body weight push down through it. Same with the handlebars, hold on to them of course, but don't "grip" them tightly or let your upper body be pushing down on them too much. Pushing more weight through your feet makes your pedalling more efficient anyway.
 Replacement bike saddle - BiggerBadderDave
"But, if you use it regularly, your bum gets used to it."

Be sure you get batteries for Christmas.
 Replacement bike saddle - VxFan
>> Be sure you get batteries for Christmas.

Mind like a Welsh railway, (as a former colleague of mine used to say quite often to me)

One track, and filthy ;)
 Replacement bike saddle - Manatee
If you do get a smart looking saddle, swap the quick-release seat clamp for a bolt-up one.

If you do fancy a Brooks-style, see also Spa saddles - the Nidd is probably the nearest to a B17. I haven't tried one.

www.spacycles.co.uk/m18b0s204p0/Saddles/Saddles-Leather

Replacement bike saddle - zippy
>> If you do get a smart looking saddle, swap the quick-release seat clamp for a
>> bolt-up one.
>>

Very good point.

>> If you do fancy a Brooks-style, see also Spa saddles - the Nidd is probably
>> the nearest to a B17. I haven't tried one.
>>
>> www.spacycles.co.uk/m18b0s204p0/Saddles/Saddles-Leather
>>
>>
>>

This chap did a round the world trip and couldn't get on with his Spa...

domsrtw.blogspot.com/

"1) I opted for a Spa Nidd leather saddle, this never really got comfortable. I would of been better getting a leather saddle from one of my other bikes."
 Replacement bike saddle - henry k
>>A lightly used B17 went on the bike my dad built for me in about
>> 1966. Never a problem. It was common to see them 'collapsed' which I put down
>> to people who knew no better not adjusting them.
>>
Get a move on and fit a Brooks B15 swallow.
Latest Forum Posts