Non-motoring > Big Boy's Toys Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 8

Big Boy's Toys - tyrednemotional
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59615769

...£200k!...

If it really was close-range, couldn't they have used an air-rifle, or a catapult?
 Big Boy's Toys - Zero
Thought the typhoon had a canon. (machine gun) Surely that would have provided good cheap marksmanship training?

Oh wait, I did read the RAF had not bought any ammo for it.
 Big Boy's Toys - Falkirk Bairn
£200K is but a drop in the ocean or rather sea compared to an F35 @ £100m
 Big Boy's Toys - sooty123
Current Asraam is being replaced in a couple of years, saved a few quid on disposal costs.
 Big Boy's Toys - tyrednemotional
...let's hope they don't adopt the same approach with Trident.....
 Big Boy's Toys - Manatee
>> Thought the typhoon had a canon. (machine gun) Surely that would have provided good cheap
>> marksmanship training?
>>
>> Oh wait, I did read the RAF had not bought any ammo for it.

That seems to be sort-of true.

Apparently

"There was a proposal based on cost grounds in 1999 to limit the gun fit to only the first 53 batch 1 Typhoons aircraft destined for the RAF, only on the basis that the guns would be used as ballast and not used operationally, but this decision was reversed in 2006 and spares and ammunition are now frequently purchased by the RAF."

ukdefencejournal.org.uk/typhoon-uses-cannon-combat/

Big Boy's Toys - sooty123
Not quite, there wasn't a shortage of ammo as it's gun shared the same ammo (and the same barrel) with the tornado.
 Big Boy's Toys - zippy
>> Thought the typhoon had a canon. (machine gun) Surely that would have provided good cheap
>> marksmanship training?
>>

We don't know the size of the drone or it's capabilities.

E.G. if it was a flying bomb then getting in close with a gun an causing an explosion may have caused much more damage to the aircraft and pilot than the cost of the missile.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 18 Dec 21 at 11:34
 Big Boy's Toys - Manatee
Possibly to the point, they might have missed with the gun, although I expect they have some clever laser sights these days. The missile will might go and find it when locked on.

Or perhaps they were using up a missile near its best before date;
Latest Forum Posts