Non-motoring > Chancers Everywhere Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 31

Chancers Everywhere - zippy
The cooking woes continue. We had a new Rangemaster delivered today - lucky to get any stock and it's good. The old cooker (up from the garage had an electrical fault, as correctly diagnosed by some of you here and I just wanted a new one that works).

A new microwave is not so hot though (please excuse the pun).

It didn't arrive and I have been on the phone to the supplier chasing delivery as I got a delivery confirmation email at about 13:00 hours.

It seems it has gone to another address and was accepted there. Problem is we live in St Marys Wood (like) and in the same area and adjoining, there is a St Marys Park, St Marys Avenue and St Marys Road, St Marys Close. I am sure there are others that I cant recall at the moment. We have had signed for concert tickets go astray in a similar fashion a couple of days before the concert (luckily the postman retrieved them).

Some one at the one of the other roads has my microwave and it has been signed for. I can see the signature on the tracking screen. Customer services even sent me a screenshot of the mapping software and photo of the front door so I know where it is.

Surely they would know it's not from them!

The supplier is sending another and assures me that this time the driver will not ignore the postcode.
Typo - surely they would know it's not for them! (missed the edit).
 Chancers Everywhere - MD
What3Words is your friend.
>> What3Words is your friend.
>>

Yes I use that but there was no option with this retailer.
 Chancers Everywhere - Bromptonaut
>> The supplier is sending another and assures me that this time the driver will not
>> ignore the postcode.

Looks as though they're doing the right thing.

It's their job and that of their delivery agent to sort out the one at the wrong address.
 Chancers Everywhere - Manatee
I get this repeatedly - drives me nuts. I had 3 shower screens just left by the back door of a house in the next village recently, about £2,000 worth. Obviously the wrong postcode. First I knew was when the chap came round to my building site and asked us to go and collect them!
 Chancers Everywhere - sooty123
>> I get this repeatedly - drives me nuts.

Any particular reason?
>> >> I get this repeatedly - drives me nuts.
>>
>>
>> Any particular reason?

Only the obvious, and because it happens a lot.

In the case above and similar, I have to make sure somebody is there to receive it. For pallet deliveries I usually arrange to be called 15-30 minutes before arrival, often they call when they are already there, sometimes I am and they aren't! Always they have tried to deliver to the wrong postcode.

If they come from the SW, they generally pass a location with the same address, different village. They see the road sign and the house number and the fact that their satnav says they are a mile from their destination doesn't seem to register.
 Chancers Everywhere - MD
Albanian sat nav???
I did wonder if they were all using the same special lorry satnav that doesn't work properly, but I think it's just that on the way, they see the road name, think it's the one they want, and just find the right number. They either don't notice that the satnav says they have a mile to go, or ignore it.

There are also 2 other addresses in the village that are sufficiently similar to confuse them.
There are also 2 other addresses in the village that are sufficiently similar to confuse
>> them.
>>

I'm guessing house names rather than numbers?
 Chancers Everywhere - R.P.
We're in the same boat. We live on a road with the same name as a house on a neighbouring road. It goes something like this: "our house", blinkhill, off fart road, anytown. PC10 3PC. The other house goes "blinkhill, fart road, anytown PC10 3PC" consequently for the usual couriers our parcels default to the other address. Amazon eventually "got it" by us deleting the "Blinkhill" thing from our address and relying on 3words. This works. In fairness Amazon have been pretty good with this once they got their heads round the "blinkhill" which is a name that does not appear on any street sign and only on the other house. We changed the house name on which the local council waived the charge on and the Royal Mail have found us without fail !

We also got a Ragemaster 90 Classic. ...that is another story, but is now in place and delivering top end mince pies and cakes !
Your house not have a number?
No it's the only house on Blinkhill..! :-)
Sounds very confusing!
It was for the first couple of months. We get on with the people that live in the house with the same name as the street. Could be a lot worse. Both the street and the house that carry the same name are historical so probably been going on for a 100 years or more !
I did read somewhere from some one who worked for the rm that every house has a number whether people know it or choose not use it. No idea if it's true.
 Chancers Everywhere - Robin O'Reliant
I believe it is true. House names can be changed at any time by the owner and it isn't uncommon for a new occupant to do so.

>> I believe it is true. House names can be changed at any time by the
>> owner and it isn't uncommon for a new occupant to do so.
>>
>

Probably is true, although i don't think it's widely known and this 'master list' isn't accessable to the public, so lots with only house names won't know what number it is.

We've got a house name but i don't use it. I think it just causes confusion.
 Chancers Everywhere - Dog
This owse has never had a number, nor did ye olde cottage, or our barn perversion up on Bodmin Moor.

NFC.
 Chancers Everywhere - legacylad
I’ve only lived in one house with a name.
It was an Edwardian money pit. Never again.

I am a number, not a name.
One of our many owses was called Kittiwake. T'was in Gorran Haven (sea views)

I can understand why some bod gave it a name, as it was number 13. No problemo for me as I was Bjorn on the 13th.

:o}
Last edited by: Dog on Mon 13 Dec 21 at 08:25
We're clearly No1 then ! We changed the house name to reflect the original name when it was built in the 50s. It was an easy process, the £35.00 fee was waived (possibly as the property was reverting to its original name) - it appeared on the Royal Mail database within days, some suppliers took longer than others to offer the new address on their drop down menus. Been a painless process in the main.
I have given our new house a name which I have put on on a name stone, with date, on the front facing gable.

I'd quite like to incorporate it into the official address, even though I believe I must use the number as well, to reduce the number of mis-deliveries.

I hope nobody objects because I can't easily change the name stone!
 Chancers Everywhere - Crankcase
Mother in law lives in a little village. For years it was known as "the house next to the post office". In the last decade or so, they gave the house a name, but she's never used (or known) a number for it.

The name appears in drop downs online, but no number, or indeed street. It's "name of house", "name of village", is all. Come to think of it, I don't think the street has a name!

It does have a postcode of course.
I sold a rather trick motorcycle sat-nav to a guy in the Irish Republic not so many years ago. He lived in a small village in the middle of nowhere. - his address was his name followed by the name of the village. I called him to check, he said that was all the information the Post Office needed to deliver, proved to be right. The postie in our last home could deliver the most miss addresed item. He was superb.
My friend the leather craftsman tried that one. He asked me to send 'im a letter addressed to Laurie Smith, Bodmin Moor.

He goddit!
 Chancers Everywhere - Crankcase
Mrs C was (is) very taken with Les Hiddins, the Australian TV presenter aka The Bush Tucker man.

She sent him a little fan letter in about 1990, addressing it "The Bush Tucker Man, Australia". He got it, and she got a reply (which she has framed and still looks at sometimes).
 Chancers Everywhere - Zero
>> I have given our new house a name which I have put on on a
>> name stone, with date, on the front facing gable.

Fire Place ?
 Chancers Everywhere - tyrednemotional
...Dunbuilding....
Nevadunbildin, it feels like.
 Chancers Everywhere - Zero
Phoenix Mansion.
Latest Forum Posts