Non-motoring > Day 2 PCR test Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 9

Day 2 PCR test - legacylad
Friend sharing my accommodation in sunny Espana flew home on the 11:55 ex ALC yesterday.
He had pre ordered the test at a cost of £40....took the required sample test upon arriving home, it was on the floor behind his letter box, and took it to the local PO in Settle before they closed.
It arrived at the lab this AM, tracked, and he received a negative result late afternoon, allowing him to go out and drink proper beer this evening.
Less than 24 hours in isolation...
 Day 2 PCR test - neiltoo
Reports tonight that you will have to take a test in Spain before travelling home.

8o(
Last edited by: neiltoo on Sat 4 Dec 21 at 20:43
Drat. Just seen that. I fly back to the uk on 9th December so will try to figure it out tomorrow.....surely I don’t need to take PCR tests both pre flight and then again within two days of re entering the U.K. ?
And now I’ll have to find somewhere local to take my PCR test...more inconvenience. And cost.
 Day 2 PCR test - No FM2R
>>.surely I don't need to take PCR tests both pre flight and then again within two days of re entering the U.K. ?

Yes, you do and it makes perfect sense.

The pre flight test is checked when you check in for your flight and again when you board.

The 2 day test is checked remotely when you're home.

Neither causes any delay, extra steps or congestion in the UK airport.

It's hardly the most onerous of challenges.

I agree it’s hardly onerous, but if I’ve tested negative with a PCR test pre flight, as presumably everyone else on the aircraft, why do I need another when I arrive in the UK ?

Please enlighten me. Thanks.
 Day 2 PCR test - No FM2R
Because whilst the airplane is a reasonably safe environment, the airports at either end are not.

A lot of cases have spread to A to C because a person flying A-B crossed in an airport with a person flying C-D.

Further a single test is considerably short of 100% reliable, and bear in mind the incubation period.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 4 Dec 21 at 22:42
Gotcha

Just need to check if a negative lateral flow test is ok pre flight, together with a ‘fit to fly’ certificate, or if I need a PCR test in the 48 hours before departure.

I’ve been told the former is adequate, but I’ll do my own research !
 Day 2 PCR test - No FM2R
www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19
 Day 2 PCR test - Dave_
Booster jabs done on Saturday. We're off to the Canaries 15 days later, on Boxing Day for five days. Randox Day 2 PCR tests booked and received, and Chronomics LFTs booked and received to take with us. 43 quid for the PCRs and 17.09 for the other ones.

Just have to hope the Randox box is emptied on New Year's Day and the tests are processed before we go back to work on 4 Jan. Oh, and hope that we haven't caught anything.
 Day 2 PCR test - neiltoo
For those considering overseas trips, Amazon are doing PCR tests for about £35.
Latest Forum Posts