Non-motoring > A humble task... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 10

A humble task... - Ambo
…but someone’s got to do it (aka, me).

About 7 years ago we had two cloakrooms refurbished, with identical toilets. One is easy to keep clean but the other has developed a stubborn stain. It resists a number of proprietary cleaners and hard scrubbing. Does anyone know of a better solution?

A humble task... - MD
It sounds to me like the glazing may have been too thin??
 A humble task... - Manatee
Do you have a water softener? Is one supplied with softened water and one not?
 A humble task... - Zero
Is it limescale? if so neat kettle descaler gets through it.
 A humble task... - sherlock47
Use the strongest acid that you feel happy with. But take all the suggested precautions. To get the strongest effect use a plunger to empty the U-bend of water first, and then dry out the remaining water using tissues.

Brick cleaner (hydrochloric acid) is probably the most easily available. I always keep a stock of "One-shot" drain cleaner,(sulphuric acid) as it is very effective with difficult blockages of grease, paper, and some organic substances. Warnings apply!

A humble task... - Clk Sec
>> we had two cloakrooms refurbished

The eight bedrooms next, I guess?
:-)
 A humble task... - R.P.
Is it a stain ? Our last but one home was a new build and suffered what I thought was a stubborn stain...turns out that the "glaze" had a fault in it
 A humble task... - Ambo
We have a water softener and as far as I know it covers everything apart from the kitchen tap. From the colour, I assume the stain it is not limescale but I will try descaler on it, although bad glaze is I think more likely the source.
 A humble task... - MD
I told you that at the end of November:-)
 A humble task... - Ambo
I was merely suggesting that it could be the cause.
 A humble task... - martin aston
Shopping for cloakroom fittings last year I found that most of them, like so much else, come from China. I wonder if that’s where this one came from. Despite being retailed in U.K. at around £100 my plumber claimed that WCs were about £5 a piece plus taxes and shipping if buying by the container load from China. I don’t know about being that cheap but clearly they are churned out in their millions.
It’s inevitable that the odd faulty glaze patch gets through so I am in the camp that suspects that’s the cause here.
Latest Forum Posts