Non-motoring > Electricity rollover Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 17

Electricity rollover - Manatee
My one year fix with So Energy for the new house expires in January.

The unit prices on offer, all inc. VAT, are
29.61p fixed 1 year £20 exit fee
26.75p fixed 2 year £40 exit fee
20.86p variable

Currently paying 16.61p. I'll go variable for the time being.

I wish I had chucked some solar PV on the roof now. Having taken a decision to heat my house with electricity, this feels quite personal!

At least I have some sort of option for the future, I can't really make my own gas. Not in sufficient quantities to run a gas boiler anyway.
 Electricity rollover - smokie
I know you are talking electricity but I mentioned my gas renewal for end Dec has come through. Currently 2.96p incl VAT (got it wrong last time I posted).

Options

- do nothing (goes automatically to Flexible Octopus, 4.13p but variable)
- 12m fixed (7.37p)
- Loyal Octopus rate (6.56p)

I don't think the Flexible one has any exit penalty so I can swap if it changes later on, but I'll check that

My electricity tariff seems to have no end date, though I realise it must have. It is the Go tariff for EV drivers where i get 4 hours at 5p ( - I changed to 20:30 - 00:30 a while back) and the rest at 15.6p (incl VAT).

My modest solar array generates about 2600 units a year but I am not great at using them all. We do try to put on heavy loads when it's got plenty of spare but there is a lot of wastage at other times. Though this time of year it is used fairly efficiently in keeping stuff ticking over - but with not much spare at any time, or only in short bursts.
 Electricity rollover - PeterS
Those rates do seem high…I’m with Scottish Power on a fix that also expires January. Currently 16.158, but offered an ‘limited, existing customers only’ rate of 19.851 fixed until April 23. So I’ve taken it; it’s lower than the current price cap, and that cap will be going up I’m sure.

www2.scottishpower.co.uk/tariff-information.process?execution=e3s5

I assume that Scottish power have run their business properly and already have contracts in place to allow them to buy at a price that means they’re not going to go bust by selling something they haven’t actually worked out how to supply…?!?

Electricity rollover - Manatee
I have had such an appalling experience of Scottish Power that I will never darken its door again.

I still haven't disentangled myself. Since June I have been asking them to stop dunning me for ongoing fixed charges for a gas meter at my new house plot that was removed in August 2020. Most recently they said they proposed to rescind the bills but first I must make a direct debit indemnity claim for everything they have debited me since April 2019. On the day that my bank credited £1800 to my account they emailed me to say I didn't need to do this. I am still receiving final demands. They want me to pay the £1800 back which I have said I will do when they provide a full breakdown. I expect they will work out at some point that most of it related to an unrelated account (now closed) for my temporary address.

They also demanded I provide a "meter removal document" to prove I had no meter, this document to be obtained from National Grid. Bear in mind that I had to arrange the meter removal with Scottish Power! National Grid confirm they have nothing to do with it and passed me to SGN. SGN, who removed the meter and the supply, also say there is no such document.

6 months I have been doing this and they are still sending me emails that show they simply have not grasped the situation. They always want me to call them which I now refuse to do because I need a spare afternoon for all the holding on, being cut off, explaining the whole saga again. I have told them that if somebody who has the account details calls me that is fine, but they never have.

Still the "final demands" arrive. I can see no end to it.

You'd best stick with Scottish Power, it's too difficult to leave.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 29 Nov 21 at 10:43
 Electricity rollover - PeterS
Strange, never had a problem, though I never actually need to contact them and just tweak the direct debit myself via the app if necessary. Moved house in March this year and all went seamlessly.
 Electricity rollover - hawkeye
>> My one-year fix with So Energy for the new house expires in January.
>>
And mine in December. Their offer of fixed prices will more than double last year's electricity spend, even with Economy 7. The conservation area planning rules limit my options for solar PV as well. It's been a 2 year battle of attrition to get the planners to agree to let me replace the 200-year-old sash windows; I think all the fight's been drained out of me.

>> I'll go variable for the time being.
>>
Me too. With 2 houses to look after, I've become heartily sick of changing suppliers every year, losing them, and then waiting months for the big boys to vacuum up a select proportion of my details. What started as due diligence has become a millstone. If you're to be treated as I was, expect a polite phone call from SO reminding you of the perils of going 'variable'.

Sorry about that; having a moan is so therapeutic.

Last edited by: hawkeye on Tue 30 Nov 21 at 18:17
 Electricity rollover - Ted

Not wishing to hijack thread, we were with NPower ( in spite of their forging my name on a doorstep sales push ) I've been reasonably happy. We have now been shoved into Eon's maw. Their accounts dept are a shambles. I am being harassed on the phone over October's payment of £133 in spite of it being shown on my bank statement as paid on 19/11. November's payment is shown both on my bank and on Eon's statement of my account. Both paid by bank transfer from the same account. I haven't even had the November bill yet, which comes by paper in spite of requesting paperless !

I had a girl on the phone today chasing the money plus a tenner late payment fee. I told her to check her own accounts and that her finance/bills dept are sh+te before cutting her off. There are hundreds of comments on their website echoing mine !

I will change, but who to ? My gas is with Gritish Bas, No complaints, I think we've been with them since we were on with North Western Gas Board ! You don't know who's in line for disappearing from the market next. Any comment about changing to BG welcome, I don't do standing orders on variable amounts......I read the meter, the bill comes on line, ( not Eon's ), I set a bank transfer for the date they want it and forget it. They owe me nowt and I owe them nowt.

Perhaps I ought to by a bigger generator !

Ted
Ah! ! A cue for me!! :-)

share.octopus.energy/open-camel-464

Actually I don't think Octopus (and maybe others) are taking new customers at the moment as they are swamped with those being foist up on them.
 Electricity rollover - Terry
No energy companies want new customers.

They have to charge the capped rate which means they will lose money on every new customer - not a major attraction for them!!
 Electricity rollover - legacylad
My £60 pcm with Octopus more than covers my utility bill.

Shame I spend rather more on being overseas for extended periods with the heating turned off at home....
 Electricity rollover - sooty123
Reminds me, mines due in a couple of weeks. I guess I'll be bracing for a big rise.
 Electricity rollover - Robbie34
I changed to Shell last year. I have a smart meter so I don't need to read it.
I have just had an email for this year's charges. I was paying £124 per month for gas and electric, and this has gone down to £89 per month for next year.
I'm quite surprised as I expected an increase. Perhaps my smart meter is on my side.

You need to be careful as that happened to me once in the dim and distant, but they'd got their sums massively wrong and I owed them a lot (which I didn't then have) by the end of the next 12 months. I certainly wouldn't expect any to be going down but maybe you are building up a huge surplus.

You only need to annualise your actual cost then add quite a lump for the rates going up to see if they're about right.
 Electricity rollover - Bromptonaut
Guardian reports that people in area around RAF Fylingdales cannot have smart meters as they interfere with the base:

www.theguardian.com/money/2021/dec/06/i-cant-charge-my-electric-car-cheaply-because-im-too-close-to-an-raf-base
 Electricity rollover - Zero
Thats either incorrect, or a complete cock up. Fylingdales is, probably, the Wests most important defence against the soviets. Would you really build something so easily compromised?
 Electricity rollover - Bromptonaut
>> Thats either incorrect, or a complete cock up. Fylingdales is, probably, the Wests most important
>> defence against the soviets. Would you really build something so easily compromised?

I suspect the reason is arxe about face and that Fylingdales can interfere with the meter.
 Electricity rollover - tyrednemotional
ISTR reading accounts in the past of EMC interference with vehicle systems in the vicinity of Fylingdales.
 Electricity rollover - No FM2R
>>I suspect the reason is arxe about face and that Fylingdales can interfere with the meter.

That sounds more likely. The thought that the meters could screw up Fylingdales is quite worrying.
Latest Forum Posts