Non-motoring > Steam Train Videos - Volume 1   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 214

Steam Train Videos - Volume 1 - Duncan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

=============================================================

I wonder what happened. Not like Mr Knowwun?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2DldyXa8tc
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 27 Jun 23 at 10:26

Steam Train Videos - Zero
What a pillock, no idea what happened there, I bet tho it was cold at Ascot at that time, about -1 I bet. He was probably wearing thick gloves, which caused him to press the record button off.

Steam Train Videos - No FM2R
I did that when #1 won a singing competition. I wasn't spoken to for some time.

Worth it then?

Touch and go.

Steam Train Videos - Ted

If you want a different perspective on train videos, type 'Don Coffey' into YouTube. He's a Manchester driver and films routes all over the North West from the cab. Donations go to local charities

He gives some history and technical info as he passes particular places.

Ted

Steam Train Videos - Duncan
I don't think he dropped anything this time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6FasKAyvG0

I wonder why he doesn't do longer videos nowadays?

Wow, thats sumptuously filmed very pretty, I see he shot it in high def 4k, if you press the settings button on youtube.

As for length I think google analytics has told him the average viewing time per clip, and as part of his monetisation is based on view duration as well as click through rate, he has adjusted video lengths accordingly. Or so I am led to believe.

Rumour mill has it he might be lurking round the fens and east midlands tomorrow.

>>
>> Rumour mill has it he might be lurking round the fens and east midlands tomorrow.
>>

Thanks for the warning, I will take pains to stay South and West tomorrow.

What win(ed) up merchant

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-59531846

The Harrington Viaduct

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welland_Viaduct

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpV22d_KQf8

And while I was up that way

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib5jFk2T8uw

My midlands trip was 340 miles all in ave speed of 56 mph, 2 hours in the dark, heater on, lights on, wipers on a lot, no megawat chargers in the middle of nowhere, range anxiety not excitement would have been the order of the day in an MG5

>> And while I was up that way
>>

You and Mr Knowwun often seem to be in the same part of the world at the same time? Do you follow each other around?

Or are you related?

Steam Train Videos - Dog
>>You and Mr Knowwun often seem to be in the same part of the world at the same time? Do you follow each other around?

Or are you related?

Looks like he's gorn mutton Geoff on that one.

Knowwun knowns

Why do they have a diesel on the back? Is it in case the steamer breaks down, then at least they can clear the line?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7P65UV8ghI

Three reasons:

1/ Shunting.

Under the railway rule book, trains are not allowed to push stock backwards unless with a pilot (flag ) man hanging on the back - usually in shunting yards. So the Class 47 diesel (itself now a heritage loco) hauled the consist from the depot at Southall, to Victoria with the West Country class hanging on the back.
The loco then did the circular route, back to Victoria, and the 47 pulled it back out to Southall.

Sometimes however the large TOC DBS* who have a depot nearby to Victoria so hence local traction and crews, haul the Belmond Pullman from the depot into Victoria, uncouple the diesel at the platform, and the steam loco pulls it out to do the circular tour, the diesel then leaves later back to depot. When the tour returns to Southall, they then send the diesel in, then recouple the diesel on the back (now the front) to haul it back to depot.

This tour was run by the TOC LSL, who are based at Crewe, so they had to haul their shunter, and crews down with them the previous day, overnight at Southall, do the tour the next day, then send the lot back to Crewe the day after. Its a big operation, three train crews, maintenance staff and fitters, two locos and 11 mk1 coaches for three days.

On big round the country tours, they sometimes schedule a rescue/shunting loco in the time slot behind the tour. That way the purists get "pure steam" tours, with the back up hidden a few minutes behind.

2/ traction. Because its big load (has to be to make it pay) the loco is at limit. The Surrey hills run is a low traction certified route in autumn, the danger of slipping to a stand is real. Had this lot slipped to a stand up that hill from Shalford (its up hill more or less all the way to Dorking) it would have been a mare to get it moving again. Blame the designer of the loco - Maunsel - who liked "light pacifics" (Braunton is a light pacific) heavier locos with smaller wheels have better traction. So the diesel with its better low speed torque is on the back - just in case this lot comes to grief.

Ironically sitting on the back the thing is idling, doing nothing except adding to the steam locos total dead weight to haul,

LSL the TOC doing this tour, got caught out badly two years ago. They sent the steamer out on its own, and the whole lot slipped to a stand blocking the main Kent main line......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhmPwJS21zI

3/ Attribution. IF a TOC blocks a line, all the other TOC's claim compensation for being delayed under a rule called Attribution.

and finally 4 of 3

4/ Heating. In the old days steam heat was pipped through coaches, BR Mk1 coaches were steam or electric heated. Mostly these days steam heating has been stripped out because its a PITA, so the diesel provides electric power ( a lot of it) for the heating, You can still see some steam heated trains, with steam escaping from the coupling pipes, the people in the front three coaches sweating, and the people in the back three coaches huddled up with blankets cos they is freezing

Sometimes DBS with the British pullman pull a fast one. They haul the consist with the loco Clan Line on the back into Victoria, uncouple the diesel, then sling shot the whole lot out of Victoria (it has a nasty bank on the way out) letting the diesel fall off the back when the lot is on its way.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 Dec 21 at 10:08

Fascinating, thank you.

My pleasure, I knew only a few people so far up the autistic spectrum they are in outer space would appreciate it.

Ah, darling, you know me so well.

Who arranges for a local service train to always come into shot at a crucial moment?

Steam Train Videos - tyrednemotional
...that's me... ;-)

Steam Train Videos - Rudedog
Slight drift but I heard today that one steam line in Wales is now having to import their coal from Kurdistan as UK mined coal is no longer available due to mine closures... I wonder how that will affect other vintage steam railways?

>> Slight drift but I heard today that one steam line in Wales is now having
>> to import their coal from Kurdistan as UK mined coal is no longer available due
>> to mine closures... I wonder how that will affect other vintage steam railways?

Its been an issue for a large number of years now. Steam locos (in the UK*) run best on Welsh coal, the quality of the fire in its belly is vital to raising steam, its damn hot in that firebox.

so hot that foreign muck coal turns to clinkers, chokes the fire and the head of steam disappears. There have been numerous occasions where locos on main line tours have had to stop, the fireman give the fire a good raking* (there is between 42 and 60 sq feet of fire in a firebox)

the firemans poker is about 12 feet long, and comes out glowing at the end.

*you design the loco for your available fuel.

>> ......Steam locos (in the UK*) run best on Welsh coal.....
>> *you design the loco for your available fuel.
>>

...certainly the ex-GWR locos did, but the 1948 interchange trials showed the effects of designing for the fuel used. The GWR engines ended up at a disadvantage as the fuel used was from Midlands and Northern pits (e.g. Blidworth, South Kirby...) and favoured the LNER and LMS participants' firing characteristics.

the 1948 interchange trials actually proved not much. Apart from provide much argument in gricer circles then and ever since who claim the results were doctored.

They did lead however to standardisation. And probably the best locos BR ever had. The standard 5's 7's & 9's

The Black 5's, the Britannia's, and the 9F's (basically hybrid LNER & LMS designs - none of that GWR s***)

Steam Train Videos - legacylad
Flying Scotsman passed through Settle yesterday...thick mist apparently but Ribblehead viaduct had glorious weather conditions.
It’s back again on the 23rd Dec I believe.

I spent the best part of Saturday’s daylight hours walking the Limestone Link in a cloud inversion.
 Steam Train Videos - Fullchat
That's got to be up there. Flying Scotsman crossing the Ribblehead.

Just watched a steamer out the window heading up to Carlisle. Assume it was the Flying S but it’s so murky here I’ve no idea.
Poor beggars paying all that £ and rotten views today
Aye, tis the Flying Money Pit. Hellifield - S&C - Carlisle - S&C - Hellifield

last steam tour of the year.
>> Aye, tis the Flying Money Pit. Hellifield - S&C - Carlisle - S&C - Hellifield
>>
>> last steam tour of the year.
>>
Thought so Z. My next door neighbour works in the ticket office at Settle so I’ll ask him about January steam specials.
Another pal shovels coal so another source of info...and whether or not they’ll be cancelled if they’re not behaving.

6 in January, 2 on the 29th. No Idea what the loco will be yet.

Steam Train Videos - Bobby
That’s interesting re length of videos.
Do videos on Facebook go the same way? Occasionally I might watch a video on Facebook and then of course you are recommended others etc but there now seems to be a tendency for people to be posting videos of long length and not very much happening.
You know the type, guess what happened next type of thing but it goes on and on and on. But I’m not conscious of that being any adverts on Facebook videos?

On YouTube etc, I wonder at what point companies are going to get wise to the fact that no one pays any attention to the adverts on YouTube and pressed skip ad as soon as they can.

>> Do videos on Facebook go the same way?

No monetisation the same way on facebook.

>> On YouTube etc, I wonder at what point companies are going to get wise to
>> the fact that no one pays any attention to the adverts on YouTube and pressed
>> skip ad as soon as they can.

I get paid on "click throughs" to advertisers. Its higher than you think. between 4 to 9%

One video with a 9% click through rate is earning 6 quid per 1,200 views.

Just watched the latest Harry Metcalfe video on YouTube where he gives a round up for his car fleet of the year and total costs he has incurred.

So total costs are c £106k

Total YouTube views for the year is around 30m.

I wonder where that works out financially, income v expenditure? And not sure what the business “accountancy” practices will be for this sort of revenue, but could he argue all the expenditure is a business cost to generate the income from views???

>> I wonder where that works out financially, income v expenditure?

Harry's Youtube UK rank is

1,843rd SUBSCRIBER, - 83,555t VIDEO VIEWS, 786th most popular,

His total earnings per year are estimated at 40k. Its possible that he could claim the cost of producing the channel £106k this year, so made a loss of 66k to offset against taxes elsewhere.

Steam Train Videos - sooty123
How/where did you work that out ? I was wondering about a couple of channels i watched.

socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCIB5XXHNAWWzTOw6guIMYCg

The income estimate has a wide bandwidth

Steam Train Videos - sooty123
Cheers.

Steam Train Videos - zippy
There are some very professional YouTube channels out there and AIUI, they often make extra money from subscriptions, there is another service where folk can subscribe, and of course there are in video adverts which are sponsored.

Had another steam special pass through Settle on Saturday 22/02 about 10:30. Had the upstairs windows open so heard it working up the line from Hellifield...watched it from bedroom window for a minute. It was making lots of grey smoke ...obviously smokeless fuels don’t apply.

Talking of which the price has shot up...used to buy coal nuts relatively cheaply last year. Fortunately I’ve 3 full log stores so coal purchases are minimal these days.

Tangmere, Glorious noisy smokey troublesome Tangmere will be back shortly and will be plying its trade round your way this spring.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGJGTy16Ul4&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGJGTy16Ul4&ab_channel=MrKnowwun
>>

Wonderful foreshortening effect at the start of that video. The loco is really bouncing around!

Just sat in my office overlooking Settle and another steam special gone down the line.
Surprised they’ve sufficient customers to make it worthwhile in January

It was just a wee bit special today. It was double headed steam - LMS Jubilee class 45690 leander, heading SR Unrebuilt Battle of Britain Class 34067 Tangmere.

Double headed because Tangmere is running in after a heavy rebuild. No-one knew until both were seen warming up at Carnforth yesterday. Had there been any advanced warning I would have been up there to film it.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 29 Jan 22 at 17:00

Thanks for the info
I didn’t pay much attention....thought it was a green diesel behind the first steam loco....unusual I thought, but my mind was preoccupied elsewhere.
Chap who lives at the ‘Water Tower’ Settle station is a steam buff who normally puts info on Settle Chat FB page...maybe I missed it.
A pal of mine often fires steam locos on the line so I’ll ask him if he was working one of them today.

The green diesel

preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/34067-tangmere-sr-21c167-br-s21c167-br-34067/

Not many folks watching at Settle station today as per the Whitehead Rail vid on ewe tube

>> Not many folks watching at Settle station today as per the Whitehead Rail vid on
>> ewe tube
>>

I'm surprised that woman - Mrs Knownothing - wasn't there. But then I expect she would have dropped her camera.

>> I'm surprised that woman - Mrs Knownothing - wasn't there. But then I expect she
>> would have dropped her camera.

As she didn't know, she wasn't there

Steam Train Videos - bathtub tom
>>As she didn't know, she wasn't there

As I was going up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today, I wish that man would go away.

Asked a friend in t’pub last night if he was involved with the recent double header steam special. As it happens he was firing the Tangmere....took it from Carnforth to Carlisle, return via Settle to Preston.
He wasn’t very complimentary about it....without the other loco it would have got nowhere, and it’s supposed to be out on another trip in a few weeks.

Tangmere is a bitch, the firebox claggs up easily, it steams poorly, visibility forward is non existent, it has poor adhesion to the rails and slips easily, and it has a powered reverser that liable to rip your hand off.

Oh and the brakes are sh**
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 11 Feb 22 at 21:19

Apart from that it’s great??

>> Apart from that it’s great??

I think its fantastic, but I only film it, I dont have to make it move (or stop - which it famously failed to do once)

There is a reason this class of loco was redesigned

Zero....if you ever travel oop North I’ll introduce you to my pal who shovels coal on these steam engines.

Double headed diesel passed through Settle this lunchtime, pulling a load of Pullman Carriages.
Atrocious weather...drizzle, low cloud....can’t think of a worse day for a journey on the Settle- Carlisle.
And the Air Ambulance just flown low overhead...bad news for someone.

Steam Train Videos - CGNorwich
What exactly is the attraction of a journey in a steam train? Don’t you get the same view looking out as you do from an electric or diesel one?

You pay a fortune for the privilege and get the addition of the smell of steam and coal and little black smuts all over your clothes, because someone insists on leaning out the window.

>> You pay a fortune for the privilege

the "steam" premium over other railtours is not that much

>> What exactly is the attraction of a journey in a steam train? Don’t you get
>> the same view looking out as you do from an electric or diesel one?

No, you don't get to see exhaust drifting past the window, you don't get the same smell and you don't get the same sound, and you don't get the same sense of occasion. So its nothing like a diesel or electric train journey.

I guess it’s a an excitement that has somehow passed me by. Do people really open the windows to smell smoke?

>> I guess it’s a an excitement that has somehow passed me by.

Add it to the ever increasing list.

Indeed
I can actually remember using steam trains though when I was a boy. I seem to remember going from London to Exeter round about 1964.

Did take the kids on a Santa Special once on the North Norfolk Railway but I think the lure was free mince pies and a toy

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 12 Feb 22 at 18:36

>>
>> Did take the kids on a Santa Special once on the North Norfolk Railway but
>> I think the lure was free mince pies and a toy
>>
...the kids, however, were more interested in the train...

Absolutely. Pies over connecting rods and bogies every time.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 12 Feb 22 at 20:14

Steam Train Videos - Crankcase
Two items, I might suggest, only to be found in British Rail pies.

Duchess of Sutherland hauling a steam special through Settle tomorrow...twice, to and from Carlisle I imagine.

Ribblehead viaduct about 12:20

MrKnowwun has put up a couple of videos.

I don't know how he finds the time?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=USPOLHIYGro

He must have got up early to film this one. I bet he went to maccyd for breakfast afterwards, type of guy he is.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T8oUCRrGlE

>> He must have got up early to film this one. I bet he went to
>> maccyd for breakfast afterwards, type of guy he is.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T8oUCRrGlE
>>

No 'spoons nearby?

Steam Train Videos - Robin O'Reliant
>> No 'spoons nearby?

Surely it would be a tartan Thermos flask and a packet of cheese sandwiches?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Mar 22 at 21:26

>>
>> No 'spoons nearby?

At 7:15 in the morning?

>>
>> >>
>> >> No 'spoons nearby?
>>
>> At 7:15 in the morning?
>>

...4th pint time for most aficionados....

My nephew was on the Flying Scotsman. Victoria to Salisbury, through Feltham, apparently.

>> My nephew was on the Flying Scotsman. Victoria to Salisbury, through Feltham, apparently.

Yup, there is no direct route Victoria > South West Main line for steam around clapham junction.

So its Victoria > Windsor Lines > Staines/Reading line> Weybridge Line > Byfleet Junction > Woking and all points south west.

Does MrKnowwun ever go/been to Dawlish? Must get a few old steamers going through? They have done a lot of work there since the line was washed away in 2014. Proper job.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJrY0ALiFMw

He sure has, the first steam train after the storm had wrecked the wall

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9fFOMuatT4

This is probably the best Dawlish sea wall / Steam train vids going.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FENr4Ak9AQA

This gives more of the story of the collapse and rebuild of the seawall. The music at the beginning doesn't last long.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUm-7yAl2nw

I'm guessing those interested in steam have noticed the BBC are repeating the eighties series Steam Days on BBC4 at the minute.

Presented by the rather personable Miles Kington, who was the preferred choice of the BBC for Around The World In Eighty Days, with Palin a second choice...

I think this is the ultimate TV steam series

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p011pddx/the-train-now-departing

Very poignant

Steam Train Videos -Z inside knowledge required. - sherlock47
I was at Finsbury Park station at 16.00 yesterday when The Duchess of Sutherland came thro northbound= I thought I was hearing things as it approached the station! It had a full complement of coaches and the requisite diesel at the rear. It appeared to not have many passengers, but there was one gricer wishing for a Darwin award, hanging well out of a window with camera and large telephoto? lens.

A bit of research showed it as carrying out a Southall- Hornsey depot=Southall round day trip. Can Z add any more detail?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Wed 30 Mar 22 at 20:18

Steam Train Videos -Z inside knowledge required. - Zero
Dunno very confusing schedule - I have asked.

It was 6233 (DoS) 5 coaches and 33025 into Kings Cross P8 where it stayed for a fair while for filming, then back out to Southall via a tortuous route.

Steam Train Videos -Z inside knowledge required. - sherlock47
Accounts for lack of gricers on board. I see no news of head found on track side so far.

Thanks for research. One little puzzle How did it get into KX with steam at north end of train?

It was dragged in backwards by the class 33 diesel at the end.

www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U63834/2022-03-29/detailed

and pulled forwards out to Southall by the steam loco

www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U63834/2022-03-29/detailed

Spending a fair time loitering out of harms way at Ferme Park Reception sidings both ways, and making it safely through the steam twilight zone / bermuda triangle* that is Acton Wells.

*Lots of stuff goes wrong at Acton Wells Junction.

Steam Train Videos -Z inside knowledge required. - legacylad
Just watched another steam special from chez LL travelling down the line at Settle...green engine, diesel at the rear. Nice day for it.

Green? that'l be Tangmere the Terrible. Probably killed a host of wildlife on the way.

When I’m next down the pub ( I’ve been home 2 nights and not been yet) I’ll ask my pal if he was firing it.

Steam Train Videos -Z inside knowledge required. - Duncan
Video from the days of steam.

The line to Ally Pally (well, sort of). It went to 'Palace Gates'.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=27259L4WT-o

As a child, I have regularly traveled the southern section of this line under steam, from Stratford (low level) to Custom House, In Gresley teak coaches as well, with windows in the doors held up by leather straps.

Steam Train Videos -Z inside knowledge required. - Crankcase
Are you telling me trains no longer have leather straps for the windows? Blimey.

>> Are you telling me trains no longer have leather straps for the windows? Blimey.

Take a seat, pour yourself a stiff drink. They no longer have opening windows of any kind.

>> Green? that'l be Tangmere the Terrible. Probably killed a host of wildlife on the way.
>>
My pal wasn’t firing Tangmere Saturday ...in his words “I had my shirt & tie on in the diesel. We pushed it round all day”

>> Just watched another steam special from chez LL travelling down the line at Settle...green engine,
>> diesel at the rear. Nice day for it.

I'm kinda up your way in September, the CCV is being towed to a camp site near Grange over Sands, where there will be a rare steamer along the Cumbrian coast line

Steam Train Videos -Z inside knowledge required. - Duncan
>> I'm kinda up your way in September, the CCV is being towed to a camp
>> site near Grange over Sands, where there will be a rare steamer along the Cumbrian
>> coast line

Oh dear.

I am North of Watford in September.

I will try to be especially vigilant.

>> I am North of Watford in September.
>>
>> I will try to be especially vigilant.

It will take you a fair while to get that far north, in a toyota uber, spoons toilet by spoons toilet.

Steam Train Videos -Z inside knowledge required. - Kevin
He'll have to pull rank to get in 'spoons loo. It seems they're letting any old dross in nowadays.

www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/18158068/hollywood-star-john-travolta-spotted-wetherspoons-morrisons-norfolk/

>> www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/18158068/hollywood-star-john-travolta-spotted-wetherspoons-morrisons-norfolk/

Well it is Norfuk, we all know that anyone with any class does not go further north than the Suffuk border.

>> I'm kinda up your way in September, the CCV is being towed to a camp
>> site near Grange over Sands, where there will be a rare steamer along the Cumbrian
>> coast line
>>
It just so happens I took my old Mum to Grange over Mud yesterday. A cold bright day, views across to Arnside & Silverdale, nice walk along the prom, which brought back happy memories of taking my Lakeland terrier for walks along the prom, forever chasing a tennis ball.

No decent pubs in GoS, lots of old folks who retire there for the micro climate. Amazingly 3 main dealers in town...Audi, BMW & VW.

Some lovely walks in the area, taking in Cark, Cartmel, the Lyth Valley for damsons and the lovely escarpment (Scout Scar area) immediately SW of Kendal.
An area I know very well.

Steam Train Videos -Z inside knowledge required. - Ted

Chap I joined with as a cadet in 8/63 retired to GoS. He went into fingerprints, I went into traffic ( always known as Road Patrol in Manchester ). Probably my longest serving Christmas Card friend ! Until now, as last Chrimbo's were the last, apart from family and givees. Stamp 68p from today !

Lyth Valley is our go to choice of route to Bowness, stopping for coffee at The Damson Dene on the way. Lovely drive !

Ted

Talking of Dawlish, there are a number of fascinating videos which are tracking the work to rebuild the sea wall - and more - at Dawlish.

Stongly recommended if you have problems sleeping.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=amaCMTGQavU&ab_channel=DawlishBeachCams

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1IwilTRjM0&ab_channel=DawlishBeachCams

There are several if you like to rummage about.
Last edited by: Duncan on Sat 3 Dec 22 at 09:34

>> So its Victoria > Windsor Lines > Staines/Reading line> Weybridge Line > Byfleet Junction >
>> Woking and all points south west.

Hmm. It's actually Victoria - Grosvenor Bridge Junction - Stewarts Lane junction - Longhedge junction - Clapham Junction - Barnes - Brentford etc.

>> Hmm. It's actually Victoria - Grosvenor Bridge Junction - Stewarts Lane junction - Longhedge junction
>> - Clapham Junction - Barnes - Brentford etc.

The Windsor lines on the signal block diagram.

Steam Train Coal - Bromptonaut
May be fewer trains to video in future.

www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/apr/10/vintage-train-journeys-uk-at-risk-as-coal-supply-fails

Steam Train Coal - legacylad
Saw another steam engine heading down the line through Settle as I washed my car yesterday....2nd wash in 12 months. Cow muck splattered all down the sides took some removing.....and the steam special didn’t have a diesel at the rear.

Steam Train Coal - Zero
>> Saw another steam engine heading down the line through Settle as I washed my car
>> yesterday....2nd wash in 12 months. Cow muck splattered all down the sides took some removing.....and
>> the steam special didn’t have a diesel at the rear.
>>

You missed one, there were two. Both Southern locos. Merchant Navy class "British India Line". and West Country class "Braunton"

Steam Train Coal - Zero
Fake news, they use Polish coal. crap stuff it is too.

Steam Train Coal - zippy
>> Fake news, they use Polish coal. crap stuff it is too.
>>

Isn’t that why coal for large industrial use is sold on the basis of calorific value rather than weight?

Of course the only way to work that out is by the user monitoring the energy produced and not the tonnage burnt.

Steam Train Coal - CGNorwich
>> May be fewer trains to video in future.
>>
Can’t they convert them to electric?

Steam Train Coal - Duncan
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2knlB6EBuhg&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

Oh. Would someone tell him Ashford is in Middlesex, not Surrey, unless it's the Ashford in Kent, which is still not Surrey.

It's on the North bank of the Thames, for God's sake!

Edit.

A miscue, this should be in steam train videos, not steam train coal. My mistake, I was still shaking from seeing Ashford - Surrey. Ugh!
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 3 Jun 22 at 20:13

Birds in The Garden - Duncan
The birds - and traffic - are noisier than the trains!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tCm1W9kCy0

Birds in The Garden - Bromptonaut
>> The birds - and traffic - are noisier than the trains!
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tCm1W9kCy0

What's the camera being used there Z?

Birds in The Garden - Zero
Sony FDR-AX700 4K HDR and a Sure VP83 mic

Birds in The Garden - John Boy
I know an open fronted box like that is recommended for robins and have seen that the RSPB version is even more open. I've always wondered how robins, using them, can protect the contents from magpies and grey squirrels, so I'd be keen to know if that pair finally manage to rear young.

Birds in The Garden - Zero
so I'd be keen to know
>> if that pair finally manage to rear young.

They did, fledged and gone about two weeks after that vid.

Kingswear 'Braveheart' - Duncan
Short video from our favourite steam train man.

No spoken commentary, which is a shame because he has a good voice.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ut_JraWNLk&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

Kingswear 'Braveheart' - Duncan
He's been busy.

'Life at the Bird Feeder'.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPwhuydwnTk&t=61s&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

Blue train - legacylad
Not a steam engine but a long blue train, looking like the old inter city jobs, passed through Settle this lunchtime heading north. Didn’t pay much attention to it as it went up the line, but think it had a diesel at the rear giving it a shove.

An unusual sight round here

Blue train - Zero
Its the Midland Pullman.

Its a BR class 43 (IC125) set owned by Jeremy Hoskins TOC LSL. made to look like the 1960's LMS "Blue Pullman" that used to run up the Midland Main line.

I filmed its inaugural run

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2PG-7fPlNc

Blue train - Ted

I lived until I was 15 in a house backing on to the Fallowdield Loop line in South Manchester. Across the field to the West was the Midland main line from MCR Central to St Pancras. The Midland Pullman sets were kept and serviced at Reddish in Stockport and came past the back of our house on the Loop to commence a day's work. They came past across the field a short time later on the main journey. The whole thing was repeated in the evening on return.. It was non-stop apart from a stop at Cheadle Heath.

I was lucky enough to photo one from my bedroom window with my old, cheap black and white camera. I still have the picture !

Ted

Nasty looking wound Z?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=15iBgDjzGRk&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

Steam Train Videos - neiltoo
Yup, Nasty.

How's it progressing?

Steam Train Videos - Manatee
That's the operation scar presumably?

Yes its the surgery scar, touch and go for a while re saving the eye, but we seem to be ok.

Was due to be at Gt Yarmouth this weekend for a show.

Steam Train Videos - Dog
Good grief!! Poor doggie.

Is that you coughing, Z?

Nice livery on the coaches.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BB6WiYIaiI&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

Mrs Z, she was out with me.

Steam Dreams, the promoter of this excursion - The Sunset Steam Express - has just been taken over by the TOC Loco Services Limited, so the coaching stock has changed from the normal West Coast Railways Mk 1's

Steam Train Videos - Bromptonaut
Are those branded Pullman the BR stock from the old Manchester Pullman sets that used to operate from Euston in the seventies/eighties?

No, they are bog standard BR Mk2's that were liveried up by the tour promotor Statesman Rail, who in turn have become more or less part of Saphos trains who are owned by the TOC LSL.

>> Mrs Z, she was out with me.
>>

You certainly know how to give a girl a good time!

Someone needs to hold the dogs.

Steam Train Videos - VxFan
>> You certainly know how to give a girl a good time!

I bet she was very chuffed.

...you have to keep them trained...

Steam Train Videos - Runfer D'Hills
Didn’t it drive her loco?

...no, she was overcome with tender feelings..

Steam Train Videos - smokie
Surprised she didn't go off the rails at you, you silly old buffer.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 13 Jul 22 at 11:46

Picture this:

50 years ago (or there abouts)....

Zero signalled his intentions and started to chat up Mrs Zero "I promise it'll be a steamy relationship"

Yesterday

Mrs Zero thinking to herself "You know, this isn't quite what I imagined by steamy"

:-D

(Nice video Zero)

Last edited by: zippy on Wed 13 Jul 22 at 12:41

At some point he had to ask for her hand in carriage.

Steam Train Videos - Kevin
>You certainly know how to give a girl a good time!

Matching anoraks as well...

Watched a Steam special pass through Settle this morning on the up line to Carlisle...distracted me from composing my AT ad for poor Henry Focus.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 13 Jul 22 at 13:47

>You certainly know how to give a girl a good time!

As Lauren said "All you have to do is whistle"

You've been busy?

I like "lustily" pulling.

In the second vid are they the same class of coach that they converted part of the old Feltham Marshalling Yard for? 701s?
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 14 Jul 22 at 17:27

701's? yes.

Another steamer on the Settle - Carlisle today...sat in the Talbot beer garden 18:30 when it returned. Knew my pal was fireman on it as he gives a special ‘toot’ as it passes through Settle station.

Steam trains do NOT toot. If they are designed by Sir William Stannier, they "hoot", anyone else they whistle. (except some by Sir Nigel Gressley - that "chimed")

They do not "chuff" either
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 15 Jul 22 at 08:33

Well, it sounds very much like a "chuff".

>> They do not "chuff" either.

They do, because Google told me, so it must be true.

Q. Why does a steam train chuff?

A. Steam is exhausted through a nozzle and up through the smokebox into the stack. This action produces the “chuff chuff” sound heard when the locomotive is moving.

Q. What is a train chuff?

A. Because steam alternately acts on both sides of the piston during each cycle, there are two exhaust beats, or "chuffs", per cylinder.

Go rerun your Thomas the tank engine videos

But that's a cartoon, not a real chuffer.

Steam Train Videos - Runfer D'Hills
I wouldn’t chuffing know or care to be honest. I think trains are great, and more people really should use them.
It would keep my roads quieter…
;-)
My ‘stoker’ pal, a Trans Euro HGV driver in real life, tells me that steam engine British India Line is stuck at Crewe until the fire risk abates.
And Tornado & Flying Scotsman are in bits at Bury and Loughborough having a 10 year old rebuild. He mentioned duff boilers from Germany, non riveted apparently, at which point we lost interest.

>
>> engine British India Line is stuck at Crewe until the fire risk abates.

All steam Locos now have a prohibition due to fire risk - Except the Jacobite in Scotland.

>> And Tornado & Flying Scotsman are in bits at Bury and Loughborough having a 10
>> year old rebuild. He mentioned duff boilers from Germany,

FS is not in bits, but its main line Boiler certification has expired. It was due to appear as a guest at the Bluebell, probably wont happen now. Nothing duff about Tornados all welded boiler, it just hasn't arrived from Germany - its way behind schedule.

Did he whitter on about Tornados main box needle bearings?

Possibly but by that time we’d had a gallon and were trying to watch ladies football. All a bit blurry to be honest.

>> Possibly but by that time we’d had a gallon and were trying to watch ladies
>> football. All a bit blurry to be honest.
>>

I have been watching the women's football world cup and the games are very good.

I was disappointed to note that they don't swap shirts at the end of the game though! :-)

Steam locos running again...hardly surprising after the large amount of rain we’ve had in the past week.
Had my feet up reading the Yorkshire Post late afternoon when I heard my pal toot tooting the whistle as the train passed through Settle southbound from Carlisle.
Rotten day for views....low cloud and drizzle.

Steam Train Videos - Dog
>> large amount of rain we’ve had in the past week

Please explain, what is rain? Can you get it in Poundland, Lidl's etc. Do they sell it on Ebay??

:o}

Not running down here.

Met office says it's coming.

Steam Train Videos - Dog
Can't see any down here in the next 7 days. If my borehole dries up, I'll have to start drinking leglads beer.

Rained here on and off several days. Short lived torrential heavy showers amongst light rain. Drizzle has continued non stop since mid afternoon yesterday. So bad yesterday I didn’t even bother walking out in my waterproofs.....miserable damp weather with the usual morning hill fog and mist.

Friday evening rain meant we had to abandon the beer garden, even ‘sun’ umbrellas didn’t keep us dry. Improving a lot tomorrow but Tuesday is looking wet. A friend was complaining their water butt is overflowing, even after cleaning the car and flushing down drains. No need to water the gardens round here.

Steam Train Videos - Dog
My 4 x water butts are bone dry, but at least we don't live in: www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62351166

It was only a couple of weeks ago when I saw a picture of Aysgarth Falls having run out of water. :/

>> Met office says it's coming.

Met office got it wrong!

Light rain and a moderate breeze here in God's own county from 14.00 to 16.00. No more wetness of any kind after today's for the next two weeks.

We're doomed.

But God’s Own is a mighty big county with large climatic differences between the Dales and Vale of York.
Even locally, there are micro climates....friends who work just 6 miles up the valley in Horton in Ribblesdale might be in the rain all day, whereas south in Settle it’s been bright and sunny.

My ex next door neighbour rented there for 6 months one winter whilst converting his new home in Long Preston. Told me it was the most depressing place to live during the dark months..going home to that wet micro climate was no fun.

>> But God’s Own is a mighty big county with large climatic differences between the Dales
>> and Vale of York.

Do you seriously belive that God would go North of Watford?

Even if God's driver is a bit thick and missed the sign that said "Watford", even he wouldn't miss the signs saying "Watford Gap", would he? Which is how the misunderstanding and confusion sometimes arises.

Yeah god was wise, he built a gap between Watford and "the north"

The “north” starts at Barnsley.

Below there it’s “no mans land” until Watford.
Just watched another steam special from my house passing through Settle heading to Carlisle.
Good to see it was hauling 11 coaches without the aid of a diesel at the rear....no line side fire hazards today.
Presumably the Royal Scot loco which my pal was firing two weeks ago when I saw it in Hellifield ( excellent fried breakfast on the station @ Shed24 £7.50) before our walk back to Settle.
On that occasion it was being pushed by the diesel...making minimal effort and only there for show as it was scorching hot and tinder dry line side.

It was a Scot, 46115 "Scots Guardsman". It was the loco in "Night Mail". www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmciuKsBOi0

I was close.....took photos of it a few weeks ago after my fried breakfast at Hellifield before the walk home

Steam Train Videos - Ted
>> It was a Scot, 46115 "Scots Guardsman". It was the loco in "Night Mail". www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmciuKsBOi0
>>
>>
The one that backed on to the mail train at Crewe was a Patriot or 'Baby Scot '... " Sir Frank Ree "

Ted.

Glad I’m not a passenger on today’s steam special which has just passed chez LL heading north to Carlisle.
No diesel assistance, plenty of grey smoke and a very sedentary pace.
I can see the passengers having to get out and push before it reaches Ais Gill summit at 1169 ft

It was Jubilee class No. 45690 'Leander'. It was failed at Carlisle with a superheater leak, whole train (broke loco pax and coaches) towed back It made it over Ais Gil, slowly.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 4 Sep 22 at 17:23

The pax would have enjoyed a longer journey then...lovely sunny afternoon for them. At least it was in Settle.

Today’s steam special making decent progress heading north to Carlisle, assisted at the rear by a diesel.
And the weather is improving so good views hopefully.

Better than the one down south then, Still stuck at Victoria, 4 hours late, waiting for the Coroner because one of the pax died on board

...murder on The Orient Express....?

yeah, the train has departed back to base less pax. had I known I could have filmed it on the way home. I can see the title and music on my youtube vid in my minds eye.

Death on the Swanage Belle
Damn Double Damn
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 8 Sep 22 at 13:35

Now this is Impressive

About 750 tonnes up a steepish bank, with no diesel support

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ZNACn__No&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

Was the last coach some sort of generator unit?

It was the freshly repaired generator car, one of the reasons they were able to send this out without a diesel on the back.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 14 Sep 22 at 12:38

www.youtube.com/watch?v=shWaL7EPfIk&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

It was the Duchess of Sutherland - shame it wasn't the Duchess of Argyll, she would have - (insert double entendre here).

Good to see you back, Duncan.

>> Good to see you back, Duncan.

Seconded.

Steam Train Videos - Ted

Three of the class were kept. Sutherland is the only one active. D of Hamilton has been streamlined and is now in the NRM. Unlikely to run again.

City of Birmingham is in the Birmingham Science Museum and is in the condition it left service. It's sad that here in Manchester we didn't have a museum suitable at the time or City of Manchester would have made a great exhibit. It went under the gas axe like all the others for the sake of a measly few thousand quid.

Ted

Couple more from Mr Wossisname.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE3i8Prm3dI&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

If you have ever wondered what he looks like - that's him in the field at the end, waving at the train.

Steam Train Videos - BiggerBadderDave
'If you have ever wondered what he looks like'

Dog owners look like their dogs, don't they?

Thank Glub your making an appearunce again Duncan.

The spelling and grammer in here has been getting atrotious terible badder.

My sources tell me its not Duncan, but an early release of Duncan AI. Its Version 1.0 so can only deal with train videos, implementation and roll out of Versions 1.x may be able to produce pedantisms.

Wolcome buck!

Duncan AI?

I don't think that's a good idea. What if it finds Facebook?

>> Duncan AI?
>>
>> I don't think that's a good idea. What if it finds Facebook?

I guess it would need to go neural to cope with processing power required.

Sir Nigel Gresly.

You're slipping Mr Knowwun - you are supposed to get the suburban train COMPLETELY obscuring the classic steam train.

6/10. Must try harder. Can do better. See me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlk1K5q7n_M&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

>> Sir Nigel Gresly.
>>
>> You're slipping Mr Knowwun -

Ahem, It's Sir Nigel Gresley!
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Dec 22 at 16:22

First steam special of 2023 today on the Settle - Carlisle. Cumbrian Mountain Express I believe..passing northbound through Settle around 10:40.

Pal of mine would have been firing it but his back is playing up, so he’s travelling in the back up diesel. Should be a good day for it with sunny intervals, very slight chance of rain and good viz.

I’m off to Carnforth for a walk down the coast to Morecambe. Good views across the bay to the Lakes, fish chips and micro pubs involved along the way.

Spring cleaning can wait until a rainy day or three.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 21 Jan 23 at 06:52

>> Spring cleaning can wait until a rainy day or three.
>>

Spring cleaning??!!

What are you on about. You're a single man, you are supposed to live in squalor.

The pubs, fish and chips and a bit of walking obviously. But the spring cleaning? Get a grip of yourself.

>>
>> Get a grip of yourself.
>>

....as a single man...............?

Steam Train Videos - Dog
12 degrees in Beni today, woss that about then?

Putting out plenty of smoke.

Nice pillboxes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gk2MGDTCsg&t=5s&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

Steam Train Videos - Clk Sec
Too much info, Dunc. Possibly.

Well, I enjoyed it, but it was over rather quickly. No, not Bangers and Cash, but Mr Knowwun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CFFbWJzhHU&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

Big thumbs up for that one :)

Steam Train Videos - smokie
I heard Mrs Z says that too Duncan!! :-)

>> Well, I enjoyed it, but it was over rather quickly. No, not Bangers and Cash,
>> but Mr Knowwun.

He tells me that was shot with his backup Panasonic camera, because his hugely expensive 30 month old Sony went TU and they are having trouble getting parts for it

>> He tells me that was shot with his backup Panasonic camera, because his hugely expensive
>> 30 month old Sony went TU and they are having trouble getting parts for it
>>

Will he have to sell that old Beemer he trundles round in to pay for the camera bits?

Sony after-sales service is now garbage and for firmware fixes it's pretty much non-existant.
I steer clear of Sony products now.

>> Sony after-sales service is now garbage

Its been farmed out to a couple of third parties.

New Vid.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8ARKEB53g&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

Can't agree about rag tag of coaching stock - with the exception of the first coach they are all in the same livery, except for the diesel hanging on the back of course.

Pffttt. First up we have a Mk1 Second open Brake on commonwealth bogies, coupled up to a Mk2 first open brake - with the brake compartments coupled back to back!!!!!! a Mk1 open first masquerading as a dining car, several Mark one corridor seconds, A real Mk2 kitchen car, several more Mk1 corridor seconds, A MARK 3!!!! and then a Mark 3 pretending to be a Pullman!!!!

Shameful

But not as Bad as LNER 5p loco, operating a named service that should be in the hands of a SR 7P light pacific, or a 8P Merchant Navy!!!

Standards in this country have collapsed, and worse pedants are nit sufficiently skilled to notice!!!!
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 Apr 23 at 09:09

Couple of steamers emitting plenty of smoke.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIz5JpHFBrc&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

When these trains have a diesel on the back, does the driver of the diesel sit there scratching himself and reading The Racing Post, or does he/she have to do anything?

>> When these trains have a diesel on the back, does the driver of the diesel
>> sit there scratching himself and reading The Racing Post, or does he/she have to do
>> anything?

They have been seen reading stuff, but they are required from time to time do proper stuff.

Latest Forum Posts