Non-motoring > The Theatre! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 13

The Theatre! - Zero
On personal recommendation, yesterday the Dragon and I went to see a play.

Hmm, Play? or "Immersive Experience". In this case the latter, and its largely down to the venue. The preserved debating chamber in the depths of the old County Hall in London, where you climb the marble stairs past the large commemorative scrolls and plaques listing past leaders and co chairs, (names like Sir Horace Cutler, Ken Livingstone, Ilytd Harington etc etc) and settle yourself in a leather council members chair, with its fold out Morocco leather writing table, sliding ash tray and survey the large wood panelled chamber with its high domed decorated ceiling and "speakers" chair.

You sit 3 or 4 rows away from the floor of the chamber where the play takes place.

Witness for the Prosecution, an Agatha Christie classic, some drama, some moments of humour, , not too taxing on the brain, not too long with its typical genre double trick ending, A little dated, absurd even but very entertaining.

Well acted, well produced very well lit, you genuinely feel like you are there, in the court room, one can even if one wished, pay extra to be in the witness box, where you become and integral part of the production.

An excellent and imaginative use of location, storyline and production, Very possible the best theatre experience I have had, certainly more so than my last - The rather dire and ridiculous Hamilton.

We did the matinee, (yes as pensioners do) traveled up t't smoke on the train, had a pre show coffee and cake in the rather excellent branch of Gails Bakery, and dinner in one of the South Bank restaurants. Not done London properly since lockdown V1.0 and it was great to be back, the hustle and bustle and energy seems to be returning.

Caught the tail of the commute traffic on the way back, the train was heaving and pleased to report most donned masks in such a steamy packed environment.

Excellent night out.
 The Theatre! - Bobby
You have just reminded me that I have a jury service letter I need to reply to!
 The Theatre! - Zero
Jury Service, Its a fascinating and illuminating experience. IF you get on a jury, its not unknown to spend two weeks being sent home every day.
 The Theatre! - bathtub tom
>> Jury Service, Its a fascinating and illuminating experience. IF you get on a jury, its
>> not unknown to spend two weeks being sent home every day.

The most boring two weeks of my life. Had a trivial case that should never had gone to court and SWMBO feels cheated because she's never been called.
Others I know have had harrowing experience (child torture and murder) and threats from criminal trials.
 The Theatre! - Zero
I had a fraud case, a use of a fraudulent instrument, Defendant came in, took one look at us and pleaded guilty. And a very complicated rape case that we were hung on, the judge was disgusted with us we were excused jury service for life.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 19 Nov 21 at 13:59
 The Theatre! - sooty123
You might not even have to go, my wife got the letter earlier this year. She filled it in and sent it back, a few weeks later a reply came back saying thanks for getting back to us, consider your jury service complete.
 The Theatre! - Bobby
Ironically, to almost go full circle on this thread, our courts are working virtually. So the jury are based in a cinema watching the court on screen!
 The Theatre! - Zero
Oh dear, thats no good, it will be like watching crown court on the tele. None of the atmosphere of the real thing. How can you take a dislike to a defendant, or get the full effect of a barristers sneer on the screen

Tell them you are a carer and cant go
 The Theatre! - Bobby
I have done jury service once before. Probably 30 years ago.

Two defendants for shoplifting.
His address was given as HM Prison Barlinnie.

I took one look at him, his adddress and decided he was guilty. You dont get put in jail on remand for shoplifting. He obviously had a history.

Boss of the Jury (quite rightly) was really annoyed with my instant decision. Anyway 2 days of evidence and we found them both guilty.
Before sentencing the judge or sheriff read out all his crime history.

My gut instinct was proved to be very correct.

(For those who know this area, a couple from Easterhouse do not normally go to Wishaw to do their legit jewellery shopping)
In the case I was on, there were two defendants, the first was described as having no previous history, the second....................................
I felt obliged to point this out to my fellow jurors, although it appeared to have no outcome on the verdict.
 The Theatre! - Zero
And nor should it, you are trying the case on its on merits, not "once bad always bad" dislike
>> And nor should it, you are trying the case on its on merits, not "once
>> bad always bad" dislike

I agree, but having noticed it myself, I felt obliged to mention it to the other eleven and got the impression none of them had noticed it.

Shouldn't the jury decide on all evidence, even nuances?
 The Theatre! - sooty123
I agree, but having noticed it myself, I felt obliged to mention it to the
>> other eleven and got the impression none of them had noticed it.
>>
>> Shouldn't the jury decide on all evidence, even nuances?
>>

Were you correct that they had history?
>>Were you correct that they had history?

I've no idea, as I didn't stay around to hear the sentencing. I presume the one with 'no previous history' was clean, but couldn't comment on the other.

The jury all decamped to the pub after to discuss events!
Latest Forum Posts