Non-motoring > Explosion in Liverpool Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 28

Explosion in Liverpool - sooty123
www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-59289278

Cctv got a very good shot of the moment of explosion. Taxi driver was pretty lucky.
 Explosion in Liverpool - R.P.
What was impressive was the guy in the yellow Hi Viz running towards the explosion. That took some balls.
 Explosion in Liverpool - zippy
I can't find the source, but was told that the taxi driver deliberately locked the car doors and thus the terrorist had no option but set off his explosives whilst still in the taxi.

The taxi driver appears to have been in the vehicle at the same time that the explosion occurred.

That seems to be very brave too.

On a related note, whilst reading my insurance policy t&cs earlier in the year, I noticed that acts of terrorism and nuclear contamination were excluded, so this probably means that the cabbie has seriously lost out.
 Explosion in Liverpool - Lygonos
>> so this probably means that the cabbie has seriously lost out

Pretty sure benefactors (+/- news outlets) will ensure he is financially sound.

Amazed he got out of the cab in one piece - that was a substantial blast though fortunately not a high explosive one. The windscreen shot out at pace, probably landing 50+ metres away looking at the video.
Amazed he got out of the cab in one piece - that was a substantial
>> blast though fortunately not a high explosive one. The windscreen shot out at pace, probably
>> landing 50+ metres away looking at the video.
>>

Surprising what people can walk away from, i once saw a bloke riding a motorbike when it was hit by an anti tank missile. After the dust settled, he walked away.
 Explosion in Liverpool - No FM2R
>> but was told that the taxi driver deliberately locked the car doors and thus the terrorist had no option but set off his explosives whilst still in the taxi.

I believe the explosives went off accidentally while the taxi driver was still driving. He then exited the car which subsequently burned. If he did lock the doors then it was after the bang and his exit, and before the fire.
 Explosion in Liverpool - Zero
The Taxi driver was coming to the entrance and slowing down, he wasn't exactly the smoothest braker ( couple of jabs on the pedal from the look of it) he probably jerked the blokes thumb off the dead mans trigger.
 Explosion in Liverpool - Stuartli
Just a word of advice. It's easy to come to conclusions through seeing videos or reading about this appalling incident, but much of what has been said or assumed by those in this thread and, indeed, elsewhere, is some way off the mark.

I won't elaborate, for obvious reasons.
>>I won't elaborate, for obvious reasons.

Not obvious to me at all. What is/are the reasons?

Are you trying to imply that you are in someway involved in or close to the investigation and thus privy to secret information that we are not?

Because if you are, then just a word of advice, most people with secrets to keep don't even gossip about having secrets.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 16 Nov 21 at 14:23
I'm pointing out that guesswork is not appropriate in serious incidents such as this one, especially when it's incorrect.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 16 Nov 21 at 14:28
>> I'm pointing out that guesswork is not appropriate in serious incidents such as this one,
>> especially when it's incorrect.
>>

Why not, why can't people guess what happened?
 Explosion in Liverpool - Bromptonaut
>> I'm pointing out that guesswork is not appropriate in serious incidents such as this one,
>> especially when it's incorrect.

Guesswork may not be appropriate but people in their homes, offices, pubs and internet forums will speculate on the basis of the emerging facts.

You may prefer we don't do that. Given your locale and the fact that you are (IIRC) a former news reporter, you may well know stuff that's not yet in the public domain and that will disprove ongoing speculation.

I'm not sure that's enough for the rest of us to shut up!!

>> I'm pointing out that guesswork is not appropriate in serious incidents such as this one, especially when it's incorrect.

1) b*******s. Who are you to say whether it not guesswork is appropriate?
2) Why do you persist with the "I know something you don't" refrain? Something to prove?
 Explosion in Liverpool - Zero
Nobody has speculated anything of any note in this thread, merely that reported in the press.
 Explosion in Liverpool - BiggerBadderDave
"I'm pointing out that guesswork is not appropriate in serious incidents such as this one, especially when it's incorrect"

Eh!? Eh!? Calm down! Calm down! Alright?
 Explosion in Liverpool - Fullchat
I think I get what Stuartli is getting at. Everyone will have an opinion and with social media has the conduit to express it based on speculation and what we see presented in the media. I'm keeping an open mind based around a number of potential scenarios from the fact that a Remembrance day parade was taking place nearby to Honour Based Violence and will leave it at that. We'll no doubt see as facts emerge. However the fact that 4 were released today says a lot.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 16 Nov 21 at 15:54
Stuartli seems to need to keep implying that he knows the correct scenario but "for obvious reasons" can't talk about it.

Which strangely is not what I infer.
>> Just a word of advice. It's easy to come to conclusions through seeing videos or
>> reading about this appalling incident, but much of what has been said or assumed by
>> those in this thread and, indeed, elsewhere, is some way off the mark.
>>
>> I won't elaborate, for obvious reasons.

Stuart, in all seriousness can you clarify?

Is there speculation or conclusion on this site which you think is "some way off the mark".
Best to make observations when all the facts are known. Up to a few hours ago many, many people had already hung, drawn and quartered the four individuals who had been arrested within hours.

Turns out they had acceptable explanations as to why they were not involved and police were happy to release them without charge or charges.
>> is some way off the mark.

I am interested to know which bits you know to be wrong.

>>I won't elaborate, for obvious reasons.

Not obvious reasons.

You're talking about something you're supposed to keep confidential? Something else?
>> Best to make observations when all the facts are known. Up to a few hours
>> ago many, many people had already hung, drawn and quartered the four individuals who had
>> been arrested within hours.

I'm sure social media in Greater Merseyside was aflame with speculation about those individuals. Less so nationally and not at all on here.

We now have the Home Secretary joining in and using the bomber's asylum status to advance her wider attack on the system.
Looks like he was homeless and under the radar, he appears to have lost his claim for asylum 7 years ago and was out of appeals.
>> Looks like he was homeless and under the radar, he appears to have lost his
>> claim for asylum 7 years ago and was out of appeals.

BBC report suggests his application was refused by the home office c2013 and a subsequent appeal to the First-tier failed. He was then refused permission to appeal to the Upper Tribunal c2017.

Why the Home Office didn't apparently even attempt to remove him after he ran out of road is a question for Ms Patel.
 Explosion in Liverpool - Kevin
>We now have the Home Secretary joining in and using the bomber's asylum status to advance her wider attack on the system.

Apparently his status was that his claim had been rejected by a judge in 2017 yet he hadn't been deported so something's broken isn't it?
>> Apparently his status was that his claim had been rejected by a judge in 2017
>> yet he hadn't been deported so something's broken isn't it?

Absolutely. If the Upper Tribunal had refused permission in 2017 on the basis of the appeal having no merit then he should have been deported or at least attempts should have been made.

News now emerging suggested he had a further appeal rejected in 2020.

I suspect that there's still a bit more, or maybe a lot more, to emerge about his history.
 Explosion in Liverpool - Bobby
twitter.com/charlotte_bbc/status/1460963942570803206?s=21

Returning refused asylum seekers appears to be more difficult since Brexit.
Who’d have thunk it…
>> twitter.com/charlotte_bbc/status/1460963942570803206?s=21
>>
>> Returning refused asylum seekers appears to be more difficult since Brexit.
>> Who’d have thunk it…

And it was never an easy thing...
 Explosion in Liverpool - Biggles
It would appear that the difficulty was not knowing which state was the appropriate one for deporting him to.
 Explosion in Liverpool - sherlock47
From the Times this morning it is suggested that talks are ongoing on shipping them all of to Albania for processing at a cost of £100,000 per head. (Using the Australian model?). The HO also has thought about using Ascension Island, but probably nobody knew where it actually is.

Surprised that Rees-Mogg has not got involved, Hulks in the Thames estuary, and then sailing boats to New Holland in the colonies.
Latest Forum Posts