Non-motoring > Today's Weather Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 11

Today's Weather - Bromptonaut
Anyone else get the 'mini tornado' this morning?

It'd been wet all morning here but with rain varying from drizzle to heavy and a bit of breeze. Then around 10:30 the wind began seriously gusting then near gale force with no fixed direction accompanied by torrential rain being blasted against windows etc.

Probably only lasted six or seven minutes but was tearing leaves off trees. Part of our fence came down, several neighbours have tiles off and power was off for around 40 minutes (much longer in some parts of the village). At least three roads blocked by trees.

Ten minutes after the rain stopped it was all calm and the sun shining.

Both Kings Cross and Euston main lines seriously disrupted by OHLE damage and weather sites suggest the storm front travelled wast-east across a considerable distance.
 Today's Weather - No FM2R
I guess it must be the same storm, Number 1 daughter says it hit Dorset earlier today.
 Today's Weather - legacylad
Strange weather on the northern Costa Blanca....unseasonable high of 29C today....low of 21C tonight. Falling temps and by next Friday the forecast is 15C with heavy rain forecast, remaining low temps with a high of 18C over the weekend.
Hopefully business as usual week commencing 8 November. ...drier and consistent blue skies returning after this aberration.

At least the booze is cheap and Nepalese curries delicious.
 Today's Weather - Zero
I was in the CCV at New Romney all week, weather has been pretty good, Thursday fantastic.

Was due to leave at 11:00am this morning, however severe weather warning for Sunday morning meant I would be packing up in a monsoon, driving back in squalls and gusts of unknown severity, and as it turns out, parking the van at home in a zero visibility hailstorm.

So we left yesterday afternoon. Pity, meant I missed filming the first passenger train through Lydd Town Station in some 55 years.

As an aside, fascinating part of the country, Dungeness in particular is almost extra terrestrial in its geographic and environmental weirdness.

And in the space of just over a month, I visited failed and successful attempts to be warned about the Luftwaffe in WW2. The failed sound mirrors at Denge marsh, and the successful radar at Bawdsey.
 Today's Weather - Robin O'Reliant
Bad here this afternoon with strong wins and some hefty showers.

With my Mr Grumpy hat on I am rather pleased that Halloween has turned out this way.
 Today's Weather - helicopter
Rather pleasant 24 degrees here in Tenerife today...
 Today's Weather - No FM2R
A cloudy 31 degrees in Chile. Kind of unusual but the end of winter can be like this.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 31 Oct 21 at 18:56
 Today's Weather - Zero
>> Bad here this afternoon with strong wins and some hefty showers.
>>
>> With my Mr Grumpy hat on I am rather pleased that Halloween has turned out
>> this way.

A 4-1 away win, 4th in the weague, unbeaten in Europe, a good cup run going, and you are Victor Meldrew? WTF peed in your porridge you grumpy ole hector.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 31 Oct 21 at 19:11
 Today's Weather - zippy
>> Dungeness in particular is almost extra terrestrial in its geographic and environmental
>> weirdness.

I love Dungeness and much of the surrounding area.

>>The failed sound mirrors...

They worked. Radar was much better that's all.
 Today's Weather - Zero
According to Dr R V Jones, they didn't and the aircraft could be seen by eye (on a good day) before the sound mirrors picked them up.
 Today's Weather - Duncan
According to this link, they did work, but not for long as they became outdated.

www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/soundmirrors/locations/denge/
 Today's Weather - Zero
The idea of "worked" or not is what was promised and what was achieved. Achievement did not, and would not meet promised reliable operational requirement.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 1 Nov 21 at 08:45
Latest Forum Posts