Non-motoring > Amazon Brushing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 18

Amazon Brushing - Ambo
It seems over 1mn. people could have suffered delivery of goods they did not order. Does this include any posters and, if so, could they say what they did with them? Since they don't seem to result in card debits, I suppose they could be kept and used, sold or given away.

Amazon Brushing - Bromptonaut
Never happened to me. I believe it's not Amazon themselves but those who use its facilities.

There are rules in Consumer Law about unsolicited goods;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsolicited_goods

The subject was a mainstay of That's Life well over 40 years ago.
 Amazon Brushing - bathtub tom
SIL had 20 cordless keyboards delivered, she gave me one!
Report from The Guardian providing exploration and background:

www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/28/amazon-sellers-target-uk-with-unsolicited-parcels-to-boost-sales
 Amazon Brushing - zippy
The opposite of this is people ordering expensive products from Amazon (not sellers on Amazon) and receiving something much cheaper instead. One example was an iPhone ordered with an ash-tray delivered.

Amazon customer services tell the customer to return the goods for a refund which they do and then they refuse to refund claiming iPhone wasn't returned.

If customers do a chargeback on their credit cards Amazon close the users account including Prime, effectively losing all Kindle and music purchases and wiping out sometimes significant credit balances on gift cards.

I can't help thinking if we had a better consumer protection framework in this country, such practices would not be legal.
>> The opposite of this is people ordering expensive products from Amazon (not sellers on Amazon)
>> and receiving something much cheaper instead. One example was an iPhone ordered with an ash-tray
>> delivered.
>>
>> Amazon customer services tell the customer to return the goods for a refund which they
>> do and then they refuse to refund claiming iPhone wasn't returned.

Do you have a link for this actually happening with products ordered and fulfilled by Amazon?

That said I've had issues getting refund for an item ordered from Amazon but which was fulfilled my xyz electronics. In this case a set of household cordless phones - one unit was defective.

>> If customers do a chargeback on their credit cards Amazon close the users account including
>> Prime, effectively losing all Kindle and music purchases and wiping out sometimes significant credit balances
>> on gift cards.

Ryanair have reportedly 'blacklisted' customers who have the audacity to try for a chargeback including where the flight operated but the customer could not legally travel.

>> I can't help thinking if we had a better consumer protection framework in this country,
>> such practices would not be legal.

Absolutely but I'm not holding my breath...
 Amazon Brushing - zippy
>>Do you have a link for this actually happening with products ordered and fulfilled by Amazon?

It was on Watchdog (now part of the One Show a few weeks back).
 Amazon Brushing - PeterS
Without wishing to cast aspersions, it always seems to be easily re-sellable consumer electronics that mysteriously turn into bricks and ashtrays. And they’re always delivered to less than desirable areas, or people with a sob story. Now, they could be being nicked at an Amazon distribution centre, but having seen first hand the security and cameras it’s very unlikely, or they could be being nicked by the delivery drivers, but given the tracking, the tight delivery schedules at the photos on delivery I’m inclined to think the chances of that happening without Amazon security picking it up are also pretty unlikely…
 Amazon Brushing - PeterS
Mind you, a few years back I had the opposite problem with Amazon. We ordered some garden furniture, which was then delivered. Followed by an email from Amazon saying they were delivering in a couple of days. I called to say I’d already got it, but was told I didn’t. The only way I could stop the next delivery was to cancel the order. Cancelling the order generated a refund…. After a couple of calls trying to sort it out, and pay for the furniture I had, I gave up and donated the money to Kidney Research instead…
 Amazon Brushing - bathtub tom
>> The opposite of this is people ordering expensive products from Amazon (not sellers on Amazon)
>> and receiving something much cheaper instead.

I had this, ordered a mobile phone and received a bar of soap. Looking at the packaging, it would have been quite simple to ease the contents out without causing any problems.
I did report it and Amazon refunded without question. I suppose it's cheaper for them to do this than investigate the scammers.

Had an Amazon delivery driver park in my drive, as I was getting the car out to take SWMBO for a chemo appointment. He was quite upset when I opened the door and leaned on the horn button. Turned out the van had no tax, MOT or insurance (I wonder about his licence). Should've driven it onto the road and thrown the keys down the drain.
 Amazon Brushing - MD
>> SIL had 20 cordless keyboards delivered, she gave me one!
>>
You Dirty Old Man (Steptoe & Son) :-)
 Amazon Brushing - sooty123
I need to order more stuff from Amazon, I'm missing out on all this free stuff :-)
 Amazon Brushing - Zero
me too, I have never been brushed. I am feeling quite unloved.
Never even heard of the phrase until I read this thread.
 Amazon Brushing - No FM2R
I certainly cannot imagine being so outraged by free stuff that I contact the media.

However, for the avoidance of doubt; all firms, of any description, nationality or type, are more than welcome to send me as many of their products, of any type or usage, as they wish and I promise not to complain at all.
>> I certainly cannot imagine being so outraged by free stuff that I contact the media.

I think for some people at least there's a worry that it's a mistake and that if they don't make an effort to return it they might be harassed for payment. That, even if it wasn't legal even then (late seventies) was why the practice featured on That's Life.

Amazon Brushing - smokie
I thought we discussed this a while back - I certainly recall a conversation somewhere - and the reason I remember for them sending stuff is that sellers have ordered it to your address, so that they can put up fake reviews, or something like that. Maybe it's a different manifestation of the same problem?
 Amazon Brushing - No FM2R
I'd never heard of this so I've been idling away a Sunday afternoon looking into it.

Aside from Bromp's point about an older or vulnerable person getting stressed by it, what is the downside?

There seems to be a concern about where these people find the name/address combinations. A data security issue, I guess, But surely not a biggie? My name and address is available all over the place. Mail marketing companies seem to have no problem finding it. So I don't get the worry.

There is a concern that reviews on Amazon may not be genuine or may be misleading. No s***, Sherlock???? Like reviews on Trip-advisor and every other damn thing. Anybody who reads reviews thinking that they are necessarily gospel is a fool. They're no more than an indication at best, surely.

I notice, however, that Which? and everybody else refers to these people as "victims". How's that?

Sounds like a whole load of made up codswallop where no story exists, to me.
> I notice, however, that Which? and everybody else refers to these people as "victims". How's
>> that?
>>
>> Sounds like a whole load of made up codswallop where no story exists, to me.
>>

Only thing I can think of is when it's part of another/Identity scam? But if the free stuff is the only thing that happens then agreed, i don't really see any victims.
Latest Forum Posts