Non-motoring > Wasting Police Time Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 19

Wasting Police Time - Robin O'Reliant
I wonder what idiot made the complaint?

www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/25/police-to-take-no-action-over-crystal-palace-fans-newcastle-banner
 Wasting Police Time - Lygonos
Sounds a decent guy to me.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-59032931
 Wasting Police Time - Bromptonaut
>> I wonder what idiot made the complaint?
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/25/police-to-take-no-action-over-crystal-palace-fans-newcastle-banner

Since it's taken approximately 48hrs from report to being NFA'd I don't think more than an hour or two was spent on it...

Wasting Police Time - smokie
... and in other non-news that made today's front page, how is it less discriminatory for a "chubby little thing" to call out a "67 year old man". It sounded to me that at least he had some humour in his comment, even though it is so upsetting, rather than spite.

www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-59035663

Wasting Police Time - sooty123
>> www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-59035663

Never heard of anyone in that article. Must be a slow news day.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 Oct 21 at 19:58
 Wasting Police Time - Dog
>>Never heard of anyone in that article

Steve Allen is a radio show presenter. He often makes "critical and derogatory comments about celebrities".

There's not a week goes by without him criticising Katy Price or Gemma Collins.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Allen_(radio_presenter)
 Wasting Police Time - John Boy
>> Steve Allen is a radio show presenter. He often makes "critical and derogatory comments about celebrities".
>>
It seems he has some history for criticising people he thinks are overweight.
 Wasting Police Time - Dog
>>It seems he has some history for criticising people he thinks are overweight

Pot/kettle .. plus he is diabetic.
 Wasting Police Time - John Boy
>> Pot/kettle .. plus he is diabetic.
>>
Exactly what I thought.
I watched a documentary recently about Jo Brand, in which she revealed that Victor Lewis-Smith made a derogatory remark about her appearance early in her career. He's not a pretty picture either.
 Wasting Police Time - bathtub tom
>>I watched a documentary recently about Jo Brand, in which she revealed that Victor Lewis-Smith made a derogatory remark about her appearance

Not forgetting she made a comment about a certain right wing politician that may have been construed as approving physical attack.
 Wasting Police Time - No FM2R
>>> watched a documentary recently about Jo Brand, in which she revealed that Victor Lewis-Smith made a derogatory remark about her appearance early in her career.

Given some of the comments she made to a friend of mine I can't say that my cup floweth over with sympathy.
I understand from SWMBO that her Dad (Gordon Ramsey) has been less than flattering about large people before but I have no detail. Still, that changes nothing.

I think it was misplaced humor rather than outright critical, but I agree that's not clever these days.

I just thought her spiteful-sounding comment about being "called out on a national radio station by a 67-year-old man" also transgressed the bounds of acceptability these days.

I'd never heard of either of them before either...
>> I just thought her spiteful-sounding comment about being "called out on a national radio station
>> by a 67-year-old man" also transgressed the bounds of acceptability these days.

He's old enough to be her Grandfather and should know better.
... perpetuating the ageism eh? I thought you'd had the training in this stuff :-)

Your comment is rather beside the point though...
>> Since it's taken approximately 48hrs from report to being NFA'd I don't think more than
>> an hour or two was spent on it...

That must be comforting if you've just been mugged and have to wait two hours for plod to turn up.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 Oct 21 at 19:58
 Wasting Police Time - No FM2R
::I wonder what idiot made the complaint?

Standard behaviour these days, surely? Especially in the UK.

The current habit for people to hold two opinions simultaneously;

"I don´t like that opinion therefore it must be banned"
"It is my right under freedom of speech to hold any opinion I choose and nobody can stop me".
Once a report was made, probably in good faith, it's difficult to see what else the police could do but carry out a rapid investigation as to whether any law was transgressed. Given the timings and the probability that something that had engaged national media would require sign off at senior level it was astonishingly quick.

A wasting police time investigation would be a waste of police time.....
 Wasting Police Time - zippy
Someone legitimately criticising a Conservative MP has been accused of hate speech!

By saying this...

"So @DavidTCDavies, you voted yesterday to allow water companies to continue dumping RAW SEWAGE in our rivers. But you told Monmouth THIS was what was killing the Wye and Usk, not the effect of intensive farming or poultry units near water courses."

The MP replied "In a week when we should be thinking about the language we use online & the effect it has does the ⁦@UKLabour ⁩ condone this kind of language from its activists?"

and also "...activists like u are more interested in spreading hatred on twitter"

Personally I can't see anything offensive in the original comment but no doubt the police will be sent to give her words of advice.

twitter.com/DavidTCDavies/status/1451637904548237324

>> Once a report was made, probably in good faith, it's difficult to see what else
>> the police could do but carry out a rapid investigation as to whether any law
>> was transgressed. Given the timings and the probability that something that had engaged national media would require sign off at senior level it was astonishingly quick.
>>
>>
>>

Rapid in this case would be the few seconds it took to read the banner, and another few to tell the complainant to F off and get a life.
 Wasting Police Time - Terry
I have no real sympathy for the young lady.

The comment is accurate. She is slightly plump - not fat and certanly not slim.

She is on TV because she wants to be a "star". She would be truly naive to think that her appearance and performance would pass unnoticed by the media - nor would she want it to.

It is the mark of a repressive society that a journalist cannot pass a justifiable opinion because it may offend.

Perhaps if he had said her performance was compromised through carrying excess weight, that would be acceptable!
Latest Forum Posts