Non-motoring > Maximising natural light Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Maximising natural light - legacylad
The plan is to build an office over my 20’ x 20’ detached stone garage. Turn the roof through 90 degrees, keep the same roof pitch, raise the height with separate entry though a door at the back....the garage is built into sloping ground with patios to the rear.

One elevation abuts a neighbour, overlooking their garden, so I won’t be allowed windows on that side, but to maximise light does anyone have experience of non intrusive roof lights I could build into the slate roof ?

I hope to get it right first time...architect preparing initial plans for submission to the National Park authority.
 Maximising natural light - Bobby
Friend has Solar Tunnels in their extension to add light to a windowless corridor
Very effective!
 Maximising natural light - Manatee
Standard Velux with a slate-coloured frame?

I assume you are planning to have the office under a vaulted roof so you need an actual window, not a light tunnel. I considered putting one of those into the bedroom corridor which is going to be dark when all the bedroom doors are shut, but it would have messed up the attic space.
 Maximising natural light - PeterS
A standard grey Velux or multiple velux depending on light requirements would be the default suggestion, and I think they do a ‘heritage’ type range too

Alternatively, depending on the elevation and the ground levels for rear access maybe something like this?

www.velux.co.uk/products/roof-windows/roof-terrace
Last edited by: PeterS on Thu 21 Oct 21 at 12:29
 Maximising natural light - Fullchat
We have a couple of those Velux light tubes bringing natural light from the pitched roof into the central landing. Very effective.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Thu 21 Oct 21 at 18:46
 Maximising natural light - legacylad
It’s the south elevation of the pitched slate roof which directly overlooks my neighbours garden. The N elevation overlooks my own so the plan is 3 velux on that side. Shame it’s the non sunny side. It’s on an E-W axis, so on the E gable, which looks down the drive and affords a glorious view across the valley I propose two large windows ( as large as possible) . Entry through a door on the W gable end, with another window.

Seems a shame that the S, very sunny aspect, will just have a slate roof and lose out on light and natural heating through any windows, unless there is such a thing as unopening opaque windows to let in both light and heat from the suns rays, whilst retaining my neighbours privacy.
 Maximising natural light - neiltoo
Roof windows on the south face will probably need blinds to prevent the sun affecting wood and soft furnishings. they allow a surprising amount of light, even on the north face - think of weaving sheds and factories with their saw tooth north light roofs.

8o)
 Maximising natural light - Zero
>> Seems a shame that the S, very sunny aspect, will just have a slate roof
>> and lose out on light and natural heating through any windows, unless there is such
>> a thing as unopening opaque windows to let in both light and heat from the
>> suns rays, whilst retaining my neighbours privacy.

South facing velux windows in a roof are too much, the angle means too much direct light - and heat - gets in. I have just one, and its blind is drawn most times.

North facing velux windows are fine, the angle mean maximum useable light floods the room.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Oct 21 at 11:10
 Maximising natural light - Dog
Neighb had pp for 1 Velux in a BIG extension 3 owses ago ... e'e put in 2.

They were overlooking my glass roofed conservatory, so I accidentally climb up the scaffolding one night and fell into the extension.

While I was up there I looked out of the Velux windows to see if I could into my conservatory.

I couldn't - due to the pitch of the roof.
 Maximising natural light - sooty123
> One elevation abuts a neighbour, overlooking their garden, so I won’t be allowed windows on
>> that side,

Is that a law/planning guidance?
 Maximising natural light - Bromptonaut
>> Is that a law/planning guidance?

Guidance at least IIRC. There are rules about 'splay' etc so an overlooking window set back from the boundary may be OK.

Neighbour wanted to extend his house across its full width up to a path's width from our boundary. There would have been an overlooking window but even as proposed it was obscured glass.

In the event the planners required it to be scaled back above first floor level so the point did not arise.
 Maximising natural light - Bobby
We have a single story extension at the rear. With 2 banks of 3 velux windows either side of the apex of the roof.
These, combined with a pretty much full glass side with windows and doors means the room is b***** freezing in the winter. But roasting in the summer.
So much so that to get planning permission we had to install “external spec” doors from the kitchen into the extension.
On the plus side that’s in effect double security if someone breaks in they will need to break in again to get into the house.
In winter the room is typically only used at weekends so radiators are left off all week and it has a gas fire in it which heats room up pretty quickly when needed.

If I was redesigning it now I would probably only have gone for 4 velux and I wouldn’t bother with getting opening ones (if they do such a thing as fixed) as they have never been opened except for cleaning which I could easily do from the roof side.

Oh, and I would have the fight with my wife again about getting a wood burner rather than gas but pretty sure I would lose. Like I did last time.
Latest Forum Posts