Non-motoring > Trees Stolen! Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 15

Trees Stolen! - zippy
We moved in to this money pit in the last quarter of 2018.

We have had some trees cut back at huge cost and I had some Leylandii on my radar in the front garden to seriously cut back and shorten. They are on my land but next door is responsible for the fences on that side.

Then about a month ago my neighbour said he was getting solar panels and would we mind cutting them back.

I was happy with that, as I said, it's on the list, it is, item number 7, and was going to happen within the next month or so, having just forked out on a new tumble dryer and have a new cooker on order , the flooring up to try and find out why its sagging amongst numerous other jobs that need doing.

I got home from work an hour or so ago to find the trees gone. 4ft bare stumps left.

Now I know its the neighbour, but he's back at his villa in Spain so can deny responsibility.

(Son who is at home heard nothing!)

The lazy side of me says do nothing. I was going to heavily prune them anyway. The miffed side of me says otherwise, but I'm not sure what yet. A fence will now have to be put up.
 Trees Stolen! - sooty123
I wish someone would cut my trees down for nothing :)
 Trees Stolen! - zippy
>> I wish someone would cut my trees down for nothing :)
>>

6 x 40ft trees gone.

Now that I have had a cup of tea and dinner is cooking nicely, I am quite happy, though not sure how to get those stumps out.

Still not sure how Master Z heard nothing. Must have been a horrendous noise!
 Trees Stolen! - Fullchat
Friend of mine lives in an open plan front garden are of 6 houses and came ome one night to find his neighbour pulling out 8 laurel hedge bushes with his 4x4.
Seems the neighbour took sudden umbridge to what he believed was an encroachment on his boundary despite it being like that for a few years. Seems this nmay have been bubbling under the surface bit dont know what sparked it.
Gone a bit down hill since then with professionals being brought in to establish the correrct boundary and then the neighbour failing to engage.

So it seem that perhaps you did not commence the work within their timescales. Strictly speaking
if they are your trees then its Criminal Damage but it seems that you are not unduly bothered but its the principle of just undertaking and completing the job without your final approval.

As they have taken perhaps more of the trees than was your intention I thing just to make a point I'd be asking when the tree fellers are coming back to finish the job with a stump grinder.
 Trees Stolen! - zippy
>>
>> if they are your trees then its Criminal Damage but it seems that you are
>> not unduly bothered but its the principle of just undertaking and completing the job without
>> your final approval.
>>

Undoubtedly, my garden (where the trees are) is 4-5 ft above his. I'm not going to make any ructions over this as I think he did it with good intent. Some notice would have been nice though.

>>
>> As they have taken perhaps more of the trees than was your intention I thing
>> just to make a point I'd be asking when the tree fellers are coming back
>> to finish the job with a stump grinder.
>>

I was thinking of getting the bow saw out and cutting them off at ground level.
 Trees Stolen! - tyrednemotional
...stump grinding is not likely to prove a cheap option (and they'd no doubt have to be reduced below 4ft before attempting that)....
 Trees Stolen! - R.P.
The bill may be in the post Zippy ! We've had to cut back a massive hedge here. Not been cut in years - one hell of a lot of work went into it by the guy doing the work. One of the many issues in cutting trees of that height is the disposal of the remains, that would be a potential expense in its own right.
 Trees Stolen! - zippy
Yes I thought about that. Elderly neighbour on the other side, the one who has a stroke earlier in the year, says two guys for 4 hours.

Wood logged and placed in his wood store apparently. Branches on ground on my bit of wood land (protected) at the front of the house to rot down. I will have a look in daylight.

Apparently his son in law did it. He charges £15 per hour so that’s £120ish.

Any one had experience of removing stumps chemically?

Trees Stolen! - bathtub tom
>>Any one had experience of removing stumps chemically?

Some time ago. I drilled the biggest holes I could and poured SBK down them. They eventually rotted out over a period of years.
I believe SBK formulation has changed since then and may not be as effective now.
 Trees Stolen! - henry k

Ask for a quote ?
www.stumpbusters.co.uk/south-west-london?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkIyz2bPX8wIVhLWyCh32FQGkEAAYAiAAEgJ8e_D_BwE

Noting stumps of Leylandii in my area they appear to never rot.

There was an old, over 50 years -100 years old ,fir tree in the front garden opposite us.
The new neighbour decided to get rid of it. " Its dead" but it was still covered in green foliage.
It was indeed dead. The logs were bone dry and weighed very little. Most odd.
It still took quite a lot of effort with a digger to remove the roots etc.,
 Trees Stolen! - henry k
Trees: stump removal and treatment - RHS

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=229
 Trees Stolen! - Fursty Ferret
>> Any one had experience of removing stumps chemically?

Nope, ask your neighbour to send his relative back to finish the job properly. Cheeky sod to take the wood for his fire too.
 Trees Stolen! - James Loveless
"Noting stumps of Leylandii in my area they appear to never rot."

Not my experience at all. I took down a leylandii hedge at the bottom of the garden a few years ago, leaving about a metre of stump. I knew from experience elsewhere that (a) they wouldn't regrow and (b) the roots would weaken fairly rapidly.

That's what happened. A couple of years later, using the leverage allowed by the stumps (the reason for leaving them in the first place), I could remove them entirely with my bare hands.
 Trees Stolen! - bathtub tom
>>Cheeky sod to take the wood for his fire too.

Let him have it, folk I know with wood burners wouldn't touch leylandii, they reckon it deposits too much tar on the chimney.
 Trees Stolen! - Dog
>> folk I know with wood burners wouldn't touch leylandii, they reckon it deposits too much tar on the chimney.

Apparently yew can burn leylandi, but it needs to be seasoned for 3 years, maybe 2 if the logs are split.

To limit the tar, best to have the stove stinking hot occasionally.

I woodn't burn it in the new multi-fuel stove plus twin-walled 904 grade s/s liner I had fitted on Monday, even if it was free.
 Trees Stolen! - smokie
I chopped down some Leylandii last year. Only three or four. Left a bit of stump in to try to dig round and get the roots out, but didn't have much luck. It might have been here that I found some advice to cut off at ground level, drill large holes in and fill (and keep topped up with) Epsom salts. They certainly aren't re-growing but I've not tried to get them out again, and I've no idea if the salt had any effect.
Latest Forum Posts