Non-motoring > Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 12

Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - henry k
I have the task of frequently having to clean up after some charming local allows their dog to mess on my front lawn.
A local fox is also in on the act but also performs on the rear lawn.

What legal deterrents work?

We have a low front wall and gates at the front drive so physical barriers are not possible.

Help

Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - Bromptonaut
As regards the dog a bit of CCTV and referral to the Council's Dog Warden might be the way to go.

Do you know where the dog/owner live?
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - bathtub tom
A colleague suffered from this. Regarding the dog, they would put out some laxative chocolate late at night, seemed to stop the problem and they liked to think the dog owner was 'getting their own back'.
Sorry,can't help with the fox. I get hedgehog turds, but as I think it's as a result of the slugs and snails they eat I'm happy to tolerate it.
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - VxFan
>> I get hedgehog turds

I'm surprised the ones in my area haven't got bulging eyes, given the size of what they leave behind.

chocolate is poisonous for dogs, btw.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 19 Oct 21 at 12:56
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - Zero
>> A colleague suffered from this. Regarding the dog, they would put out some laxative chocolate
>> late at night, seemed to stop the problem and they liked to think the dog
>> owner was 'getting their own back'.

Your dog advice gets more and more bizarre and has rapidly shifted to the possibly fatal and hence criminal.
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - Zero
Re the Front garden, its probably the same dog, and hence the same owner. CCTV or trail cam, and report them, getting over your front wall to do it, is a right no no.

Re the fox, Sneak out and pee on the area where the fox did its poo, pee in the are where it gets in.

It works every time but you may get a reputation with the neighbours.
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - smokie
or you could pee in a bottle then spread it around the area. Less likely to set the neighbours talking.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 19 Oct 21 at 14:33
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - tyrednemotional
,,,that would depend on where he's standing when he pees in the bottle (the middle of local library is not a good idea)....
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - Crankcase
Similar problem, bought one of these, now no problem. It's out there protecting the garden right now.

smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004YCUT4W

I see this particular one is currently out of stock but there are other similar ones.
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - Falkirk Bairn
Similar to my solution - fox droppings as they cross my side garden. Cat issues at front.

Bought 2 cat scarers and played about with frequencies and the "problems" have gone - well say 90% of the time.

2 cat owning neighbours quizzed me about the "lights at night"
Quote "we cannot stop our cats wandering"

I agreed but pointed out they could wander and s*** freely BUT "not in my garden"

No dog problems in the garden as there is a metal gate - cats & foxes can squeeze through the metal bars but dogs are too wide.
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - VxFan
>> but dogs are too wide.

What, even a Whippet or Greyhound?
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - Falkirk Bairn
Whippet? - not seen one in decades.
Greyhounds? Only on the lead passing by on the main road as they are taken out for exercise.
 Dog and Fox mess. I need a deterrent. - Slightlyfatdirector
For the foxes we tried a product called 'Scoot' that is a powder in a sachet that you dilute then either spray or use a watering can round the garden boundary to deter them.

Seemed to work first time round some months ago but not so successful when we found one camping out under our decking that was getting our dog quite irate and distressed a while later although with repeated application it did go. Might be worth a shot? Can buy direct from the manufacturer for less than other places from memory (and no, I have no association with them).

Odourless to humans - at least I can't smell it, and our dog has not reacted to it, so clearly aimed at foxes.

Next is to try them getting in in the first place, but they can seem to get over or through most things.

We have other neighbors that feed the foxes regularly and they do look pretty happy and healthy, I would just prefer that they were not digging up my garden....

Re: dogs; Local neighbors have recently put up small signs on their verges on little sticks asking dog owners to pick up after their dogs, but whether that makes any notice or makes people more aware I don't know. Where we are, some people just let the dogs off the lead and don't see what is going on :(

Good luck.
Latest Forum Posts