Non-motoring > Dangerous Practice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 9

Dangerous Practice - Ambo
We Ambos depend a lot on taxis and frequently chat with cabbies. A recurring topic is the accepted practice of many of the local elderly of calling a taxi, handing the cabbie a list and PIN and asking him to go shopping for them.

I imagine this is safe enough in that it would be more than a cabbie's job is worth to cheat. But if something does go wrong the card's bank would surely refuse to pay any compensation, given that a PIN had been communicated to a third party, against frequent warnings in the press against this. The bank might even block the account on the ground that the holder had proved irresponsible.

What do you think?

Dangerous Practice - Manatee
I'm sure you're right about compo, unless it's goodwill.

I think it's very common for people, especially old folk, to give their friends, relatives and carers their PIN. Most probably know that it's at their own risk.

What would concern me is that it would be very easy for an unscrupulous taxi driver to befriend such people and cheat them, which must happen sometimes. They'd soon work out which are vulnerable enough not to notice.
 Dangerous Practice - Clk Sec
There are charities in my neck of the woods that will look after food shopping, etc, for those unable to do so.

While waiting for Mrs CS in our local Waitrose car park this morning, I spotted a staff member wheeling a sack truck full of plastic containers to a waiting customer in a posh looking BMW (could it have been the honourable member from the SE?).

Anyway, the customer spent around 10 minutes decanting the goodies into multiple shopping bags, presumably for those unable to look after this chore themselves.

This would definitely be my preferred option if I was in need.

Dangerous Practice - zippy
Would pre-paid cards be an option?

Topped up with a fixed amount - no more could be spent than what is on the card.

There are issues. Those with limited modern world experiences may not be able to source them / top them up etc.

But they are going to be safer than handing an open card and pin to effectively a stranger.

Also - I would never accept a card and pin from someone. Even with 100% good intentions that I would never do anything untoward, what if the pin was given to someone else as well, who had bad intentions. You are going to get scrutinised by the authorities if money goes missing.

Dangerous Practice - No FM2R
>>Even with 100% good intentions that I would never do anything untoward, what if the pin was given to someone else as well, who had bad intentions.

100% agree. Or even if just a mistake was made.

No thanks. I'd rather pay for it myself and wait for the money back.
 Dangerous Practice - zippy
>> 100% agree. Or even if just a mistake was made.
>>
>> No thanks. I'd rather pay for it myself and wait for the money back.
>>

Which is exactly what we did for both sets of isolating parents and some elderly friends in lockdown.
 Dangerous Practice - Duncan

>> While waiting for Mrs CS in our local Waitrose car park this morning, I spotted
>> a staff member wheeling a sack truck full of plastic containers to a waiting customer
>> in a posh looking BMW (could it have been the honourable member from the SE?).
>>
>> Anyway, the customer spent around 10 minutes decanting the goodies into multiple shopping bags, presumably
>> for those unable to look after this chore themselves.
>>
>> This would definitely be my preferred option if I was in need.

Just like Click & Collect, do you mean?
 Dangerous Practice - Clk Sec
>>Just like Click & Collect, do you mean?

I've no experience of Click & Collect, but I guess it could have been a multiple C&C order placed by a third party.
 Dangerous Practice - Manatee
IME even a modest click and collect order takes up enough boxes to fill a sack cart which is what they have used to bring it out to me.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 2 Oct 21 at 16:59
 Dangerous Practice - VxFan
Chances are the cabby wouldn't need the PIN if the card is contactless and the payment is less than £45.

When I go and buy stuff for my elderly mum, I use her card. I think I've only ever been asked twice to enter the PIN into the card device as a check of card ownership.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 2 Oct 21 at 20:42
Latest Forum Posts