Non-motoring > Heated airer/driers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 10

Heated airer/driers - Bobby
Or “clothes horse” as better known. Anyone got one??

Our winter drying usually consists of the clothes horse sitting in the back room that typically only gets used at weekends in the winter. Has two radiators in it that struggle to heat it up ( but does have an excellent gas fire when we are in there at weekend)

With all the discussion about energy prices I am Wondering whether I should invest in one of these and just kill the radiators in the back room?

Would be interested in how effective and efficient they are? I do have a tumble dryer but my head tells me that is mega expensive to use?
 Heated airer/driers - Bromptonaut
What sort of heated airer/dryer are you looking at?

What's the likely wattage?
 Heated airer/driers - Clk Sec
9kg
 Heated airer/driers - Bobby
Haven’t got that far yet!
 Heated airer/driers - Falkirk Bairn
Aldi
www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19611983.aldi-selling-heated-clothes-airer-winter/
 Heated airer/driers - Bromptonaut
>> Aldi
>> www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19611983.aldi-selling-heated-clothes-airer-winter/

Apparently already sold out.

That one is 300watts so maybe 10-15% of a tumble dryer's hourly use. But then how long does it take to dry, say, a family load of towels? Do they dry soft or rough like if they're on the line?

My parents had something, probably from the fifties, called a Modeq. A heater onto which a collapsible concertina type wooden drying rack could be placed. Once loaded a big yellow cover went over the top.

Stuff dried eventually but the condensation, pre double glazing, was epic.

I think Bobby's first step would be to try and get a handle on the exact cost of tumble drying. Are you prepared to accept the risk with it running overnight on E7 leccy?

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 1 Oct 21 at 14:01
 Heated airer/driers - Falkirk Bairn
Clothes drying - in order of use

1) Garden - 3 x runs of clothes line in the garden.

2) Clothes horse in the utility room alongside the CH boiler - generally successful on bulk of drying as there is background heat 24x7 and ventilation - no steamy windows.

3) Condenser Tumble Drier - towels & sheets in the main rarely anything else. Used very little so cannot justify paying out for a heat pump drier.
 Heated airer/driers - bathtub tom
4) Drying rack in the study with a de-humidifier running.
 Heated airer/driers - sooty123
Something new learnt today, I've never heard of these before.
 Heated airer/driers - Manatee
We used to do a lot of our drying on one of these - positioned above the Rayburn.

Don't know what we'll do in the new house. I'd forgotten about this.

smile.amazon.co.uk/ironmongeryWorld%C2%AE-Traditional-Classic-English-Vintage/dp/B00SBCAVE4
 Heated airer/driers - bathtub tom
We had one of those when I was a kid. A couple of pulleys in the kitchen ceiling hauled it up and with the coke fired hot water boiler, a nice warm fug did its job.
Latest Forum Posts