Non-motoring > SIM cards again. Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 16

SIM cards again. - No FM2R
Tried giff-gaff. Reasonable tariff, quite good in town, utter s***e for data rurally (e. g. Solent, Dorset, North Oxfordshire)

Changed to Smarty (EE). Good tariff, next day SIM, number transportability and great performance even rurally.

£10 / 30GB / unlimited calls and SMS / No contract.

www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/sim-only/smarty-sim-card/smarty-30gb-10
 SIM cards again. - Zero
Get yourself on the Isle of Wight, radio waves seem to get sucked into the bowels of the earth, it's nearly as bad as the US for coverage
I quite like the Isle of Wight, but cell service is indeed an a***.
 SIM cards again. - Falkirk Bairn
Giff Gaff is on the O2 network & O2 owned
Smarty is on the 3 Network & owned by 3

Many years ago I remember the case of the chap the signed up to a phone & contract on 3 - they had just launched to compete with O2 and Vodafone.

He then wanted to cancel as the coverage was poor. They refused and demanded he keep paying.

He got a newspaper on to the case - he stood in George Square, in the centre of Glasgow, and failed to make a voice call. 2 days later, and huge coverage on paper and TV, they cancelled his contract and gave him his money back.
3 launched as a city, road and rail service. And not much of that in the beginning.

But it got pretty good, their roll out guy was a good guy and they did some good deals. In many ways they lead with site share in the early days.
 SIM cards again. - zippy
>>3

When we moved home in 2018 we could only get a 1mb internet connection which was unusable for work.

The only mobile operator that offered anything decent data wise was 3, who offered an unlimited data sim for £20 per month, though they insisted on a 12 month contract. Other mobile phone companies wanted considerably more (£50+ for a lot less, e.g. 30gb a month).

I purchased a router that took a sim card and stuck it in the loft and got 7mb, not fast but at least usable until fibre came along.
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 24 Sep 21 at 12:57
 SIM cards again. - Bromptonaut
>> 3 launched as a city, road and rail service. And not much of that in
>> the beginning.

As did most of the networks.

When I got my first mobile, purely for personal use, in 1996 the Orange network outside of the South East was mostly along the roads and rails. Even between home and work along the Euston main line it was patchy.

There was literally nothing in Scotland north of the Central Belt until later in the nineties. I amended our outgoing voicemail message to refer to the phone being busy, engaged or outwith the Orange service area. Outwith was an 'in' joke with Mrs B; we'd both observed it as a usage of Scots colleagues and of public notices north of the border.
 SIM cards again. - Stuartli
I've been using GiffGaff since 2011 or 2012 - always worked fine for me.
Either a geography or expectation thing, I guess. I would not recommend giff-gaff based upon my experience.
 SIM cards again. - Manatee
>> Either a geography or expectation thing, I guess. I would not recommend giff-gaff based upon
>> my experience.

Geography definitely. The best networks at home are Vodafone and O2, giffgaff is OK. EE and 3 are poor. Even the best two struggle indoors to provide 4G.
 SIM cards again. - Zero
>> I've been using GiffGaff since 2011 or 2012 - always worked fine for me.
>>

You never go anywhere!
 SIM cards again. - R.P.
I tried 02, Orange and Vodafone when working for the CAB in wildest rural Wales. My co-worker was on 3 Network and always had good service. Been with 3 ever since - always good.
 SIM cards again. - Stuartli
>> >> I've been using GiffGaff since 2011 or 2012 - always worked fine for me.>> >>

>> You never go anywhere!>>

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd be dangerous.
 SIM cards again. - Zero
Whatever.
 SIM cards again. - Stroudie
Well-I think I suggested SMARTY to No FM2R a short while ago.
Pleased to hear that it worked.
Of course the speed depends on your location.
This last summer in Suffolk it was poor in many places-"Welcome to Suffolk" said the paramedic who turned out for my wife's severe stomach pains when we were near Framlingham, and I told him I had lost connection after speaking to the 999 operator.
But at a very remote farm it was 18mbps, can't understand why.
If it was you, then thank you it's great. Certainly somebody did and I'm sorry I couldn't remember who it was.
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=29302&m=635551

You're right, it was you. Thank you.
Latest Forum Posts