Non-motoring > One of CGNorwich's favourite islands Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 8

One of CGNorwich's favourite islands - Dog
www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2021/09/20/volcano-eruption-on-canary-island-of-la-palma-in-spain-spurs-mass-evacuation/
Still grumbling away:

www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/canarias/las-palmas/cumbre-vieja.html
 One of CGNorwich's favourite islands - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-59096297
Great balls of fire.

lava progress
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLk-KtVMKdg

You aint seen nothing yet. I have seen this prospect modeled several times.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6utAunBKXV4
 One of CGNorwich's favourite islands - legacylad
Think I’ll be ok walking at 700m + on the northern Costa Blanca. 28C forecast for Sunday so may take my chances practicing my perro paddle at El Portet.
Life’s a beach.
 One of CGNorwich's favourite islands - helicopter
Arrived in Tenerife yesterday for three weeks, flight diverted to the east of the island rather than the west to avoid any problems from La Palma.

Cannot see anything from here in Los Christianos but may possibly be able to see the plume when up in the mountains week after next.

Incidentally ,ruinous car hire charges, now € 40 a day rather than €20 last year, no cars available from Cicar who we normally use for the next month.
 One of CGNorwich's favourite islands - smokie
Just starting week 6 of 7 in Portugal tomorrow. Every day has been a beach day till today, when we've had a little rain abut it as still pretty warm - but the forecast is wet for a couple of days then cooler till we go home. Still warmer than the UK though :-)

Anyway, on car hire - I have a tale about the car I have now to tell at some point, but my American mate in Germany was trying to hire a car for his US trip next spring and found them all massively expensive. He heard that the companies sold off their fleets pdq when travel restrictions began so rates have gone up to cover replacing them. How true that is, I have no idea.

He did, however, bag a return BA flight from Munich > London > Philadelphia return for €316 incl seat but no baggage.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 29 Oct 21 at 23:56
 One of CGNorwich's favourite islands - legacylad
On my current soirée the apartment owner, a friend, lent me his battered Renault Megan cabrio. It was very kind and much appreciated.. Ripped seats ( how does that happen ?) peeling lacquer on several panels and a skip like interior. I daren’t put the roof down in case it doesn’t go back. The other day the engine wouldn’t turn off so I had to stall it. Warning lights flash up intermittently. Clutch with lots of travel and when reversing into tight spaces I usually stall the thing. At least once. But no complaints...it gets me around.

Rental prices are silly....as before, with DYS I always paid between €20/40 for a fortnight with my own CDW insurance. Friends are paying €500 for 6 weeks with a small local company ( I won’t name them)...tatty Kia Picanto with an an all or nothing throttle, and it was cash only please sir. And no you can’t change the vehicle.

Other friends are using Magnum...I’d never heard of them until last year. €1k for 3 months, or €400 per month. Fully insured I believe.
I’ve been told that fleets were sold off, but with tourism picking up again ( my recent Jet2 flight was full) rates may well drop in 2022.
I’m still 50/50 about whether to bite the bullet and pay £680 to Brittany Ferries, endure the long drive south, and bring my own car over next February for 45 days.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 30 Oct 21 at 07:00
 One of CGNorwich's favourite islands - Duncan
>>
>> I’m still 50/50 about whether to bite the bullet and pay £680 to Brittany Ferries,
>> endure the long drive south, and bring my own car over next February for 45
>> days.
>>

It could well make an interesting story to tell us, couldn't it?
Interesting islands, the Canaries. I've 'done' the 4 main ones and each one is a different flavour.

The least liked was Lanzarote, apart from the NW coast. Each to their own!
Latest Forum Posts