Non-motoring > Prescription Glasses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 12

Prescription Glasses - zippy
I've just had a new prescription and I'm having a bit of trouble with them.

Two pairs. One varifocal, general purpose, one single vision IT / reading.

The reading glasses seem to have a strong sweet spot, which is something that I have not experienced before.

So, if I look at the screen directly the point in front is in focus. If I want to see something to the side or bottom (the clock for example), I actually need to move my head because if I move my eyes only the clock is terribly out of focus (as is anything outside of the "sweet spot"). So on this website, the message box is clear but the latest forum post panel is out of focus / blurry unless I move my head to look at the panel directly.

It's a few years since I have had single vision lenses, but I don't recall this effect at all.

Is this normal?

Thanks.
 Prescription Glasses - No FM2R
>>Is this normal?

Yes, but not neccesssary.

Varifocal are wide angle side to side as well as up and down. Hence no need to move your head to read a broadsheet.

I think you've asked for the wrong lenses.
 Prescription Glasses - Bromptonaut
>> I think you've asked for the wrong lenses.

Or the optometrist has messed up somewhere.

My only single vision glasses are sunglasses but I'm not aware of a narrow/shallow focus point. I have though had badly set up varifocals where the close section was useless - too far down the lens.

Time to go back to the optician for advice.
 Prescription Glasses - smokie
There are differing degrees of wide angle with varifocals, depending how much you pay. Cheaper = more head movement.
 Prescription Glasses - zippy
>> There are differing degrees of wide angle with varifocals, depending how much you pay. Cheaper
>> = more head movement.
>>

It’s the single vision specs that are not wide angle.

These were almost £500! Certainly not cheap to me.
Last edited by: zippy on Thu 16 Sep 21 at 14:23
 Prescription Glasses - neiltoo
Buy a cheap pair of reading glasses - 2 pairs for £5.99 at a big Tesco - you need to check what your prescription says, they go from 2.5 to 4.5, I believe.

If they are OK, go back to Specsavers with some ammunition.

8o)
 Prescription Glasses - Duncan
>> Buy a cheap pair of reading glasses - 2 pairs for £5.99 at a big
>> Tesco - you need to check what your prescription says, they go from 2.5 to
>> 4.5, I believe.

Cheaper still at Poundland. they only charge - hold on, I am sure I had the price somewhere.
 Prescription Glasses - Aretas
Quality prescription reading glasses are available at a good price from Glasses Direct.
They don't offer varifocals because you cannot give them all the measurement info they need.
 Prescription Glasses - Robin O'Reliant
I paid £25 for a pair from Select Specs.

I have varifocals for general use but I find that while they are adequate they don't do either distance or close up particularly well so I also have single vision glasses in both, plus a pair of sunnies.
 Prescription Glasses - Rudedog
Yep single vision on mine have the reading/screen work in the centre at arm'ish length, anything out side of this is ok for my long sightedness but not anything closer.
 Prescription Glasses - henry k
>>Yep single vision on mine have the reading/screen work in the centre....
Mine are referred to as my DIY glasses.
Varifocals are useless for quite a few DIY jobs.
Replacing a traditional ceiling rose. Target is above your forehead and the varifocal bit reqired is just below your cheek etc.
 Prescription Glasses - Manatee

>> Replacing a traditional ceiling rose. Target is above your forehead and the varifocal bit reqired
>> is just below your cheek etc.

I usually turn mine upside down for working overhead. Then they fall off.
 Prescription Glasses - No FM2R

>> I usually turn mine upside down for working overhead.

How had I not thought of doing that? Obvious really and I shall give it a go next time.
Latest Forum Posts