Non-motoring > Travel insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 18

Travel insurance - legacylad
Anyone taken out travel insurance recently ?
I know a few folks have been overseas, and are planning on travelling in the not too distant future.
I’ve flights booked for next month, returning December, and have paid for my 6 week rental accommodation, plus a deposit for a further 7 weeks Feb > April 2022.
I’m thinking that as it’s currently ok to travel to Spain, Portugal, Greece etc, and was so when you booked, then you’d be covered should travel circumstances change and the FCDO advise against travel to such countries.
Several friends of mine are currently in Spain and the Balearics and haven’t bothered with any insurance, citing that they still have current EHIC cards. Not sure that’s wise but would appreciate thoughts.
 Travel insurance - commerdriver
Received a document from the bank yesterday, informing me that I would no longer be covered by the included travel insurance if my stay abroad was cut short by government covid restrictions. Worth considering what the costs would be if yours is the same.
 Travel insurance - martin aston
The main risk with relying on EHIC is it doesn’t cover repatriation costs if you need taking back to U.K.
You also run a risk in booking in advance of having commercial insurance cover. If anything arises meantime you are not covered.
I assume LL is aware of these risks but it might less seasoned travellers to be aware.
 Travel insurance - Zero
I thought "current" EHIC cards were no longer valid from Jan '21, and you had to get a "new" EHIC card.

Either way, I never relied on an EHIC card, always had Travel Insurance including Medical cover, and in current climes my assumption is and will be that Covid related claims wont be covered.

Which is why I am here and not there.
 Travel insurance - No FM2R
>> it doesn't cover repatriation costs if you need taking back to U.K.

Not even of your body, and usually not for anything other than emergency treatment, not long term care. And not for any liability either.

Twice a year or so I have to deal with someone who gets themselves into a right pickle because they travelled without proper insurance.

It can be life changing, and not in a good way and not necessarily just for you.

Just don't do it.
 Travel insurance - tyrednemotional
>> ... citing that they still have current EHIC cards.
>>

...the EHIC card remains valid until it expires (there are some obtuse circumstances under which one can apply for a new one, but they are niche).

One can apply, however, for the new GHIC card, which is similar in function to the EHIC card (though there are differences, is it is best to do research - the non-EU European countries have now been excluded).

My EHIC has expired, but I now have a GHIC card.

As pointed out elsewhere, these cards have limited coverage, generally limited to emergency medical care.
 Travel insurance - smokie
Mine auto-renews and, LL, you might be interested to know that it includes car hire excess insurance. Around £120 for "extended Europe" (i.e. most places excl US and cruises) for a couple for the year (but they give you 15 months) - and we both take minor amounts of medications which probably added a few quid.

Not sure why you wouldn't do it really...
Thanks smokie....is that LV ?
LV contacted me 23/12/20 offering a refund on my existing policy should I have no travel plans....on 20/12/20 I returned from Spain so I accepted a £47 refund. Most kind of them.
I was paying £107 to LV for European Premier annual multi trip cover. Cheap as chips in the grand scheme of things.

As the USA won’t let me in I was hoping to meet my northern CA pal for a 3 week ski road trip in Canada in January, as we did a few years ago. Unfortunately, a fairly recent major heart attack ( whilst skiing deep powder two years ago) now precludes him from skiing on consecutive days so I can’t persuade him to join me...he’ll stay home and ski various resorts around home (Tahoe) as and when.
The only plus is that my insurance cover will now be cheaper as it won’t be world wide and include winter sports cover.

I wasn’t aware of the car hire excess inclusive cover.....I’ve always taken out stand alone CDW @ £40 pa.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 16 Sep 21 at 11:43
 Travel insurance - neiltoo
I paid £198, in March for European cover for me and Mrs Too (74 and 75, with high BP, and colesterol, with me type 2 Diabetes) with:

www.staysure.co.uk/

They had extended the previous years cover by six months.

Previously with LV who had increased premiums unreasonably for House, Travel and car insurance.

I have only claimed once - with SAGA many years ago, and that went well.

You can never know how good they are until you need them!
 Travel insurance - neiltoo
By the way, Covid cover seems to be comprehensive with Staysure.

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Thu 16 Sep 21 at 12:09
 Travel insurance - smokie
Staysure LL, as mentioned above
>>As the USA won't let me in...

I don't know if you can be a***d, but if you're fully vaccinated then you can enter Canada and then I believe that after 14 days can enter the US.
Thanks . I didn’t know that.
As my CA ( Placerville) pal suggested to me, as we can’t enjoy a ski road trip together, he fancies a summer road trip in Canada, west of the Rockies. We can but hope.
Better than nothing, although I would love to return to Montana at some point. Whitefish was a great resort town, and I was transfixed watching the scenery as the miles rolled by.
When I wasn’t driving.
I'll tell you what one of the most stressful things about travel is - COVID-18 testing.

And every stage of your journey a positive test can completely f... you up. The moment you get a positive test you are quarantined wherever you are for 10 days.

All our tickets are changeable and all our accommodation extendable, but even so.

Every time we have to get tested I stress greatly until the sigh of relief comes with the negative result.
LL

BBC News - Covid: US opens up to fully vaccinated travellers
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58628491
 Travel insurance - Bromptonaut
We just heard it on Times Radio; were wondering about US for Xmas.

Need to know the detail for testing etc required. >> LL
>> We just heard it on Times Radio; were wondering about US for Xmas.
>>
>> Need to know the detail for testing etc required. >> LL
>>
>> happy days
I’m rather preoccupied with my 45 days pre Christmas in Spain....talking in the pub tonight, before I heard the USA news, we were discussing heading to Cape Verde in January which I believe is outside the Schengen area.
But skiing ( and sponging off friends) in the USA is more appealing.
 Travel insurance - PeterS
>> >>As the USA won't let me in...
>>
>> I don't know if you can be a***d, but if you're fully vaccinated then you
>> can enter Canada and then I believe that after 14 days can enter the US.
>>

Same with some of the Caribbean islands as well I think?

In terms of cover, my policy is with Axa (branded coversure I think). Its wording says:

“In terms of cover, all AXA policies, irrespective of purchase date, include cover for emergency medical expenses due to coronavirus or if you have to cancel because you or a close relative become ill with coronavirus. However, a number of our policies no longer cover cancellation or curtailment if the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) or another regulatory body advises against travel due to a pandemic”
 Travel insurance - BiggerBadderDave
And not just for going abroad.

An elderly chap tripped in my property (AirB&B) with nasty results. Long recuperation and 300 miles from his own house. He wasn't insured and he claimed against me and my insurance. The bill was astronomical and he lost the case.

So make sure you're insured. Multi-trip, 365.

Latest Forum Posts