Non-motoring > Peoples Energy and Utility Point Green Issues
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 22

Peoples Energy and Utility Point - helicopter
Have both gone under....due to rapidly rising wholesale energy prices.

I am with Utility Point for both gas and electricity.

Advice given to me by Look after my bills and on MSE is to sit tight whilst Ofgem sorts out the mess . Apparently they will port the customers to another supplier and credit on accounts should be repaid.

Anybody else in the same boat??
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - sooty123
No, but I think these smaller companies go bust all the time. Happened to a relative earlier this year, think they got moved straight across to Npower and then they moved onto another company. It was all fairly painless.
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - No FM2R
I assume that this advice is the one you saw.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/09/utility-point-ceases-trading---here-s-everything-you-need-to-kno/

Seems like pretty solid advice to me. Worrying though, I expect.
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - helicopter
It is just additional inconvenience of cancelling and changing direct debits Mark.

I switched a couple of years ago from EDF where I was paying £117 per month to Utility Point via Look after My Bills and currently paying at £99 per month so thought I was ahead of the game on tariffs with LAMB selecting the best available at renewal time in June. So 2 months on their selection has gone down the pan.

LAMB advice is to take a reading and sit tight until Ofgem do the transfer and then look to switch again to the best available tariffs but I now wonder whether it would be better to return to EDF who were offering a £75 incentive for me to re sign with them in June.

Peoples Energy and Utility Point - No FM2R
Well, let's be clear, I have no idea or experience.

However, I'd say that while you sit tight your credit, your account and your DDs are protected. If you move they may not be/probably won't be protected.

So unless you think the 75 quid bonus covers it then I don't think I'd risk it..
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - Bobby
My dad was with some green energy company that went bust earlier in year and he was ported over to EDF in a similar method. Trying to port to another supplier at this time may not be the wisest move due to trying to get final bills / credits etc.

My dad actually ended up on a special tariff that was cheaper than his Green energy company. But that finished at end of Sept and I literally have spent the last 2 hours trying to get quotes via MSE.

Problem is EDF give bills 6 monthly but he hasn't been with them that long so having to trawl back through old supplier bills to try and get an accurate usage for comparison purposes.

All new quotes however are through the roof - he is going to go from £99 to around £173 (with Sainsburys). That £99 was based on him having a credit carried forward and the aforementioned cheaper tarriff but I have told him to brace himself for a large final bill.
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - Zero

In the meantime, you should not switch to another energy supplier until a new one has been appointed, which can take several weeks.

In the mean time, I wonder how Octopus energy managed to supply 100% green energy to its customers when there was none generated for two days the other week? Most energy brokers are in danger of folding at some time or other when prices are volatile or supply is limited.
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - smokie
I think many are in for a shock when their tariffs run out. Electricity, and more so gas, wholesale prices are through the roof.

I was with iresa when they went bust and was eventually put onto octopus. Went fine, including balance transfer.

On a tangent, friends with us at the weekend were using comparethemarket and coming up with what I thought expensive prices. Turns out they weren't quoting for their most competitive tariffs. I'm not anti the comparison sites but it is always worth doing your own research (e.g. for car insurance direct line and more than aren't included on those sites)
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - Bobby
Re car insurance. My renewal for both the cars was £580, up from £520 last year (Aviva)

Did some quotes and new insurance is with Admiral. £440 and I get something like £40 cashback through Quidco.

Think the reduced mileage has helped lower them but guess I just caught Admiral on a good day!
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - bathtub tom
>> Anybody else in the same boat??

Scheisse, I've just renewed with Utility Point.
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - Dog
I recently switched to OVO via comparethemarket. I could have goddit cheaper, both Peoples Energy and Together Energy came up, but I decided cheapest ain't always best!
www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/15/fire-shuts-one-of-uk-most-important-power-cables-in-midst-of-supply-crunch

Expect more brokers to fail
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - Robin O'Reliant
>> but I decided cheapest ain't always best!
>>

Your lights won't be any brighter by paying more.
But they might go out by not paying enough
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - maltrap
I’m with Peoples Energy. I’ve switched suppliers numerous times without any problems,this is the first one to go bust.Perhaps not the last !
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - Robin O'Reliant
I'd already started the process of switching from Extra Energy to Octopus when the former went bust. I was automatically changed to Scottish Power till the process completed, leaving SP responsible for the £80 I was in credit. it took eighteen months to get it back.
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - John Boy
I’ve switched several times. The last was from OVO to Octopus. It took OVO 3 months to refund the £140 credit they owed me. I left because they kept sending conflicting emails about what my Direct Debit should be and made it really difficult for me to speak to anyone there. Quite a contrast from when I joined, probably due to the number of extra customers dumped on them by Ofgem.
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - martin aston
I change suppliers every year or so. The last one I left was Avro a few months back. They went over the deadline to produce my final bill and then again in refunding my credit. Both failures should trigger automatic compensation but I only got it when I escalated a complaint.
I see that
Ofgem has just publicly asked them to provide certain financial information……..
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - sooty123
>> I change suppliers every year or so. The last one I left was Avro a
>> few months back. They went over the deadline to produce my final bill and then
>> again in refunding my credit. Both failures should trigger automatic compensation but I only got
>> it when I escalated a complaint.
>> I see that
>> Ofgem has just publicly asked them to provide certain financial information……..
>>

I'm in the same boat, having left AVRO. No one answers the phone or replies to emails, whereabouts did you find the info on deadlines for producing final bills etc?
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - martin aston
sooty re Avro I dealt entirely via email. The compensation is £30 each for late final bill and late refund. It's laid out with deadlines on the Ofgem website (try searching " Ofgem compensation").
It was a few months ago and I don't recall the details but I think Avro just needed you to send an email with complaint in the title with a brief summary of the issue and a request for compensation.
This is annoying in itself as they knew they had failed and they should have issued compensation automatically. I eventually got my £60 but it took a few weeks to hit my account.
Good luck.
Last edited by: martin aston on Wed 15 Sep 21 at 20:47
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - PeterS
>> >> but I decided cheapest ain't always best!
>> >>
>>
>> Your lights won't be any brighter by paying more.
>>

Genuine question, as I steer clear of companies I’ve never heard of as a rule so never needed to investigate: If I’d signed a 2 year fix with Peoples Energy a few months ago (at say 16p / kWh) I am protected at that fixed rate for the remainder of the 2 year period wherever OFGEM place my account now they’ve gone bust? Or do I have to look for a new fix when the transfer is complete…? If so, I could be looking for a new fixed rate after 6 months (which could be 22p ish as rates have increased) and be far worse off than if I’d gone for a slightly higher price in the first place?
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - Dog
Um, I haven't actually switched to OVO yet. I've started the ball rolling, but Green Energy, who I'm 'currently' with, have put a block on the switch b'cos I'm £93 in debit (their fault)

I've tried to 'cough up' the spondulics using the pay now button on my account, but it's not having it.

Anyway, I've just done another comparison using MSE's cheap energy club. At the top of the list is e-on next, which is a new brand of E.on apparently.

2nd on the list is The Utility Warehouse. 3rd is SSE so, I may well kick OVO into the long grass yet.
 Peoples Energy and Utility Point - Ted
I don't buy in to all this direct debit business, I have a small number where the amount is fixed, water, car tax, insurances, etc. I like to control my own dosh so I set up payments online in full for the date the gas and leccie people want their money. No being in debt or them owing me.

I was with NPower for the sparky stuff but they swapped everyone to Eon. I wasn't happy but decided to give them a chance. Not bad so far but not too happy with reading the meter monthly and being billed monthly. Been with Gritish Bas for years for gas. No problems !

I think all my bills are paid on-line apart from the wheelybin cleaner. Even the window cleaner and gardener prefer it.
Latest Forum Posts