Non-motoring > Mattresses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 38

Mattresses - Bobby
Three years ago we got a new mattress. Against the advice of the guy in the shop we got an extra firm mattress as we like the fact it had no roll and edges form for sitting on etc. And we both liked a firm mattress.

Over the last 3 years as we have both got older, we are getting more aches and pains. Waking up in the morning and the bones are sore comes with age. Over the last 10 days however, due to isolating and then a full blown cold, I have been sleeping in my daughter’s old bed and realised that after a few days I was not getting up in the morning with the same aches and pains that i normally do.

So today we go looking at beds and my missus has found a really comfortable mattress. However, in line with her usual eye of finding the dearest thing in a shop, it is a Tempur mattress and between it and the ottoman base, there won’t be change out of 3 grand!!

Now one part of me says, it’s worth paying if it gives a better sleep and reduces the aches and pains. Another part says but what if it doesnt? Another part says is there a half way product that will do the job but less than 3 grand!

Anyone here been in similar position? Any recommendations/ thoughts? My issue is there always feel comfy but until you have it in your house and sleep on it a few weeks, you cannot fully know how it will be for you.
 Mattresses - No FM2R
If your daughter's bed would take a smaller and thus cheaper mattress could you perhaps by a new mattress for that bed first and sleep on it for a bit before replacing the best, bigger and presumably more expensive mattress?
 Mattresses - Bobby
Daughter's bed is a single - don't want to go buying another mattress for it. But yeah, I kind of agree with the "try before you buy" principle.
 Mattresses - Bromptonaut
We've got a similar issue in the caravan where the bed is made up of seat cushions. Not too bad for Mrs B but my neck/shoulders, particularly on my left, get achy by morning. Don't remember it being an issue when we first got the van.

Part of the problem may be that while I'm normally on the right of a double bed in the 'van I'm on the left as it's easier for me to get out over her than vice versa. We need to experiment and see what's what.

As we use the 'van as though it had a fixed bed we're trying out using an IKEA foam mattress off a spare bed in the house. We've got it in the van and made up, will see how it is on our outing to the New Forest in a fortnight's time.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 12 Sep 21 at 17:56
 Mattresses - Zero
>> We've got a similar issue in the caravan where the bed is made up of
>> seat cushions. Not too bad for Mrs B but my neck/shoulders, particularly on my left,
>> get achy by morning. Don't remember it being an issue when we first got the
>> van.

Duvalays.
 Mattresses - sooty123
Could you not try one of the mattresses that you can try and then send back if you don't like it?
 Mattresses - sooty123
Or one of those toppers that you can try and send back?
 Mattresses - MD
The bed purchase thing is an area where the Bast-----ds will have you over. I spent several hours selecting mine (we sleep apart as we keep different hours) and she snores like a Pig. I of course do not :-)

The 'salesman' was full of shi about what this does and what the does etc. and it's £800.00 Sir.

Not last week it wasn't, it was £500.00 says I. I wont bore you with the outcome, but I ain't getting shafted by anybody. So you need to be aware of the pitfalls.

I've had 'firm' mattress's in the past that are firm for a few months then get as saggy as Dianne Abbott.
 Mattresses - bathtub tom
We've always preferred a firm mattress, heading towards orthopaedic. The last time we bought one, we went round several shops and realised the one we liked was sold under different names, depending on the shop, but always the same manufacturer. I ended up phoning the manufacturer to confirm.
I then went online and found the mattress could be bought and delivered for a fraction of the price the shops were charging. Isuppose they do have high overheads for rent, wages and stock.

When you have it delivered, make sure they don't dispose of the old one by taking it away in the same vehicle. Bed bugs are transferred by carrying old and new mattresses in the same vahicle.
 Mattresses - Manatee
You might try IKEA. When we decided to send back the rented furniture (when the insurance company stopped paying for it) we bought an IKEA bed and one of their pocket spring mattresses, I just looked back at the order and the mattress was £230! We didn't go overboard because we will demote this bed to a guest room when we move in, but it has been very comfortable for just over a year so far. The only criticism I have is that it has foam padding which can be a bit warm in hot weather. Their 'high end' is probably £600 and might have natural padding rather than foam.

The one we lost in the house fire was a pocket sprung Hypnos with wool padding which was extremely good to sleep on.- you should be able to get something like that under £1000.

Furniture is indeed the land of rip-off as you probably know. Most of the retailers use "deals" and "sales" to draw in the customers. Things like beds and mattresses even when known brands are nearly always versions 'exclusive' to the retailer so they can name and establish any exaggerated full price they want and you can't easily make price comparisons. By establishment I mean they offer it at an inflated price for 28 days and then they can sell it for 6 months at 50% off.

If you can compare materials, number of pocket springs, coverings etc you can more or less figure out what it is they are selling and check online prices.

EDIT I see bt has shot my fox on different names and comparisons.

Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 12 Sep 21 at 19:23
 Mattresses - Zero
Her indoors managed to rack up over 3 grand for a new bed and matress! its fine but it does my shoulders in. When I was at home and connected to waste pipes of various types, I slept in the single spare bed. Bad back but good shoulders!

Mattresses - Bobby
Just noticed if you buy direct from Tempur, they offer a 100 day money back guarantee if you're not happy - would need to read all the small print I think.
 Mattresses - Duncan
>> You might try IKEA.

Ikea mattresses score highly with Which? And very cheap too.
 Mattresses - Bobby
Wss just reading the Whic? report - their top pick seems to be this one

www.evesleep.co.uk/products/the-premium-hybrid-mattress
which is significantly cheaper than the Tempur!
 Mattresses - smokie
I believe IKEA beds and bedding are not a standard size
 Mattresses - henry k
>> I believe IKEA beds and bedding are not a standard size
>>
A current warning.
"We are currently experiencing high demand for Mattresses. We are working hard to increase availability. Please use the ‘Back in stock’ notification function and we’ll say “Hej” once it’s available again in your local store."
 Mattresses - Manatee

Worth checking - I know that used to be the case and it might still be for some products and 20 years ago we had a problem with a 'long' single that wouldn't fit in the space we intended, but the king sized bed and mattress we bought were standard sized - I did check.
 Mattresses - Lygonos
Re IKEA I think you're right - the singles/doubles are longer than UK standard (6'6" vs 6'3") to fit the, on average, taller Scandis.

Queen/King/Superking are all 6'6" long UK&Euro.

Mattresses - Bromptonaut

The IKEA double next to me in my study/spare room is a standard UK size; IIRC we had a choice when we bought it.

The mattresses shown on their website come in both UK and conti sizes.

As observed they're in short supply. When I moved the mattress out to the 'van I thought I'd be able to nip down to MK and pick up a replacement. In fact I had to order on line and wait a week; due to arrive tomorrow.
 Mattresses - Duncan
>> Wss just reading the Whic? report - their top pick seems to be this one
>>
>> www.evesleep.co.uk/products/the-premium-hybrid-mattress
>> which is significantly cheaper than the Tempur!
>>

But is still priced at £978.00

Whilst a couple of ticks behind that is the

www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/morgedal-memory-foam-mattress-medium-firm-dark-grey-90283797/

At £179.00
 Mattresses - Manatee
>> Wss just reading the Whic? report - their top pick seems to be this one
>>
>> www.evesleep.co.uk/products/the-premium-hybrid-mattress

The description puts me off that one - beware memory foam if you are liable to be over-warm in bed. We tried a memory foam topper in the caravan. Comfortable yes but difficult to stay cool on hot summer nights.
 Mattresses - henry k
>> - beware memory foam if you are liable to be over-warm in bed.
>> Comfortable yes but difficult to stay cool on hot summer nights.
>>
That was my experience so I reverted to a " normal mattress".
 Mattresses - John Boy
Premier Inn use Hypnos mattresses. A lot of their customers had a good nights sleep on them (I’m one) and wanted to know where to get one. For some reason, it was difficult to find out which particular Hypnos mattress they used. Eventually Premier Inn did the sensible thing and marketed them in conjunction with Hypnos. We bought one and it’s lived up to expectations. I don’t understand how you can possibly evaluate a mattress by lying on one in a showroom. It has to be better to sleep on one and a night in a Premier Inn can give you that chance.

www.premierinn.com/gb/en/sleep/buy-our-bed.html
 Mattresses - Lygonos
We have an extra-firm mattress which I generally favour but about 4 or 5 years ago thd gaffer bought a mattress topper, effectively a 2-3" thick overmattress, that adds a tad of softness and (much to my surprise) greatly improves the comfort.

I hate soft mattresses that feel as if you sink into them.
 Mattresses - Ambo
It seems any mattress that affects sleep adversely increases the chances of contracting dementia. Another point is removal of the discarded mattress, part of the deal with our last purchase and otherwise problematical. Then there is another of the basic activities associated with the product, for which a firm example is best.
 Mattresses - Kevin
>Then there is another of the basic activities associated with the product, for which a firm example is best.

Are we still talking about mattresses here?
 Mattresses - bathtub tom
>> >Then there is another of the basic activities associated with the product, for which a
>> firm example is best.

I've always wondered about a waterbed for that.
 Mattresses - Bromptonaut
>> I've always wondered about a waterbed for that.

Sea sickness?
 Mattresses - No FM2R
>> >> >Then there is another of the basic activities associated with the product, for which
>> a
>> >> firm example is best.
>>
>> I've always wondered about a waterbed for that.

No grip or firm foundation limits positional possibilities and/or enthusiasm.
 Mattresses - bathtub tom
>> No grip or firm foundation limits positional possibilities and/or enthusiasm.

Voice of experience? I suppose you have to be very careful with the knife for putting a notch in the headboard?
 Mattresses - Robin O'Reliant
We need a new mattress, the current one is about thirty years old. I quite fancy an Ikea one unless someone knows a reason to avoid them?
 Mattresses - Bromptonaut
We've got a few of their memory foam range around the family.

They seem OK though they're in short supply right now.
 Mattresses - Robin O'Reliant
In the end I splashed out £399 on a Dormeo. Five nights in and I've had a decent nights sleep for every one of them, something I haven't done for ages. Fantastically comfortable.
 Mattresses - Zero
clearly no panic buying conscience
 Mattresses - slowdown avenue
bought a Vspring 19 YEARS AGO it was very expensive,. you spend a third of your life on it. so don't scrimp
 Mattresses - Dog
Vispring are even bedder.
 Mattresses - Clk Sec
>> Vispring are even bedder.

That thought did spring to mind.
 Mattresses - slowdown avenue
yer i gotta spring missing
 Mattresses - Dog
169 days till spring.

:-(
Latest Forum Posts