Non-motoring > We all have our own reasons...... Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 20

We all have our own reasons...... - No FM2R
...for international travel.

imgur.com/cyADNhc
 We all have our own reasons...... - PeterS
Far too sunny to be eating a kebab surely…? They are only ever eaten late at night, and are almost always a bad decision even then ;)
I'm in Austria and it was about 10pm. I was sober though, which is not ideal.

That's what 9 years of deprivation does to you.
 We all have our own reasons...... - PeterS
Ah Austria - how lovely :)
Enjoy as they say!!
I must say I am very impressed with Vienna and the people are great.

I'd happily come here again.
 We all have our own reasons...... - legacylad
I recommend ‘Before Sunset’, set in Vienna and the first of Richard Linklaters trilogy.
Great dialogue, monologues, minimal cast ( of two).
Love Austria...had some great skiing there, summer hiking, and close enough by train over the Brenner Pass to access the Dolomites if the weather takes a turn for the worse. Of which I’ve experience.

Unlike No FM2R we’re so lucky to have amazing European destinations on our doorstep.
 We all have our own reasons...... - tyrednemotional
..I like, and have toured, Austria a lot, but have visited Vienna (for anything but a fleeting visit) only 5 times since the early 80's.

My impressions have improved over those visits, and the last one made us determined to revisit fairly quickly.

It is very cosmopolitan, has a cracking atmosphere (at least when it is warm and sunny) and more Bars/Restaurants.Coffee Shops of every variety per square mile than most other places (and there are some strong competitors).

If you want an interesting experience, and an escape from "Kultur", try eating/drinking in the Naschmarkt, and be sure to wander round the market. Alternatively, if the weather and visibility are good, try one of the "Buschenschank" on the heights above Nußdorf. It's a bit of a walk up from the tram terminus (though there is a bus to the top from somewhere), but for good local wine, a simple meal, and a view of the Donau to die for, they make for a cracking experience.

For example:

www.facebook.com/emmerichglashuettner/
 We all have our own reasons...... - Duncan
On a walking holiday in the North West(?) corner of Slovenia, we crossed from Slovenia into Austria and then into Italy. The Austrian border guards were the only ones who took any interest in who we were and where we were going. All in good English, of course!
...the only time I've recently been stopped at a border for papers was crossing from Italy to Slovenia over the tops in the 'van. As everything was in a safe, the border guards let me cross and walk back with the passports etc. (Don't know what they would have done if I'd just carried on, but the were armed).

About the only other place I've had to present papers was when I was pulled by the BundesPolizei in the Black Forest. The Polizei did want to see the papers, but only as a matter of routine - he was much more interested in the 'van (he was a motorhomer himself) and asked for a tour. He then gave us some very useful traffic information, and warned us the we weren't likely to get somewhere to stop at our destination on the Mosel, as there was a WienFest in progress.
 We all have our own reasons...... - legacylad
It’s been a looong time since I had a holiday in the Black Forest. A few days in Strasbourg en route, Freiburg then to Lake Titisee for several days. The hotel where we stayed, the Almannenhof, is now substantially more up market than when i was there in an H reg Discovery.

We all have our own reasons...... - Kevin
I worked with 2 guys in Namibia who had crawled (literally) for 2 days on their elbows to get into Austria. Don't think it was to get a kebab tho'.
 We all have our own reasons...... - Zero
>> I worked with 2 guys in Namibia who had crawled (literally) for 2 days on
>> their elbows to get into Austria. Don't think it was to get a kebab tho'.

Mark has crawled on his elbows to get a Kebab, it was from the pub tho not Namibia.
>Mark has crawled on his elbows to get a Kebab, it was from the pub tho not Namibia.

If he's planning on visiting the UK shouldn't someone tell him that we tend to execute visitors with South American connections à la Geronimo and Menendez?

>>.... à la Geronimo
>>

...can you catch bovine TB from a kebab......?
>>
>> >>.... à la Geronimo
>> >>
>>
>> ...can you catch bovine TB from a kebab......?

Dont think cats and rats carry TB?
>>Dont think cats and rats carry TB?

Don't care, tastes good.
>...can you catch bovine TB from a kebab......?

No-one knows. Even Porton Down have never been able to seperate out the Salmonella, E-Coli and other toxins.
>>Mark has crawled on his elbows to get a Kebab, it was from the pub tho not Namibia.

It's a fair point. Though I would point out I have also crawled out of bars in Swakopmund.
 We all have our own reasons...... - bathtub tom
I can't help it, but I'll always think of a kebab when I see a post from Mark.
>
> It's a fair point. Though I would point out I have also crawled out of
> bars in Swakopmund.
>

I think you're confusing "crawled" with "been thrown out".
>> It's a fair point. Though I would point out I have also crawled out of
>> bars in Swakopmund.

As they call the rough part of Reading....... The part where the locals gaze down the road to Basingstoke with envy.....
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 Sep 21 at 10:49
Latest Forum Posts