Non-motoring > NHS Covid App Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 31

NHS Covid App - zippy
I have the App on my iPhone and this morning I got "pinged" that I had been within 2 meters of someone for 15 minutes who has tested positive for Covid19.

I had a quick look and had to get on with work.

I now can't find any trace of the notification on the app.

Are the details stored within the App anywhere that I may have missed?

Ta.
 NHS Covid App - zippy
Found it.

Settings > Other data

Saturday. Wetherspoons was the only place that I was at for 15 minutes when a mate brought me breakfast!
 NHS Covid App - No FM2R
What happens if you ignore a ping?
 NHS Covid App - smokie
Not sure it matters any more, I think it asks your age and vaccinaito9n status and recommends based on that. But it's only a recommendation afaik. I think there was a time when you were instructed to isolate under certain circumstances.

If it were me I'd be cautious about mixing for a bit and use the free LFTs over the next couple of days.

If I was working in an office - I've always thought it a bit anti social to come to work with anything remotely contagious so I'd probably wfh for a few days.
 NHS Covid App - No FM2R
How do you prove your vaccination status in the UK?
 NHS Covid App - zippy
>> How do you prove your vaccination status in the UK?
>>

NHS covid 19 vaccination card which is filled in when you get your jabs (mine is pretty faded now).

NHS app (not the Covid19 app) should show your status.
 NHS Covid App - PeterS
>> How do you prove your vaccination status in the UK?
>>

NHS app shows your vaccination status, with a QR code. The QR code is scannable in France, where I am at the moment, without any issues. All restaurants, bars, cafes etc ask for it. I think they face pretty high fines for non compliance. French immigration also scanned it.

For those without a smartphone you can download a certificate from the NHS website using your NHS number, or name, doctors surgery and postcode. But the pdf is only valid for 30 days so you’ll have to keep downloading them…
 NHS Covid App - zippy
>>If I was working in an office - I've always thought it a bit anti social to come to work with
>>anything remotely contagious so I'd probably wfh for a few days.

Exactly that.

I have checked and there is no requirement to self isolate as I have been double jabbed.

I was going to work around at mum's place tomorrow and avail myself of "mum's cooking" but I have hit that on the head.

I was also going to a meeting with a colleague on Thursday but he has a kid with an immune deficiency so again, it's not fair to go so will call him tomorrow to scrub the meet.

In the last few hours I have developed a cough so will try and get a PCR test.

NHS Covid App - Zero
>> In the last few hours I have developed a cough so will try and get
>> a PCR test.

If it were me. Pinged? I would ignore it. Pinged and then new cough? Test and isolate myself. I would have thought most folks have a home RLFT kit by now.

Idris has been pinged once, she isolated (with me - gee thanks) and did a test 48 hours after the ping then got on with life.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 1 Sep 21 at 09:10
 NHS Covid App - sooty123
>> What happens if you ignore a ping?
>>

Nothing, it is and was just advisory.
 NHS Covid App - martin aston
Aston junior got pinged last Saturday and advised to isolate…… for a day. I Googled this “one day” aspect and it’s a highlighted search (so it’s common) but there was no clear advice as to how/why this could come about. I guess it’s where there has been a delay in the system so you’ve served part of the time already. The govt site is exceptionally poor in its lack of clear info on this and other points. Anyway, a couple of hours later she got pinged to say she was clear.
She is sure she had not checked in anywhere for a couple of weeks. Also if she had been notified as a contact she would not be pinged but would be contacted by test and trace,
Odd.
 NHS Covid App - PeterS
>>

Pings from the app have always just been advisory - no compulsion to isolate. Only if you’re actually contacted by Track and Trace does the obligation to isolate arise.
 NHS Covid App - smokie
We each have a document entitled NHS Covid Pass to show our vaccination status, you can get it digitally or on paper and either way it has no expiry date. I believe it supersedes the paper version mentioned above, which had an limited life.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/

"An NHS COVID Pass shows your coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination details or test results. This is your COVID-19 status.

"You may be asked to show your pass to travel abroad, or at events and venues in England asking for proof of your COVID-19 status."

NHS Covid App - Rudedog
That's what I had to produce to get into Goodwood as they wouldn't except the blue card you are given.

NHS Covid App - R.P.
I was planning to go away for a long weekend on the bike tomorrow. I needed my vaccination evidence. Eventually got a temporary one via the govt. website. No problem, I could update this on the go as and when required. A couple of days later I got a proper certificate in the post from NHS England...handy.
 NHS Covid App - Manatee

On 30th August both I and the boss received a notification that on 28th August we had been in proximity to a person who had tested positive for COVID.

The app asked us whether we had been double jabbed prior to something like 15 August and when we answered yes, told us we did not need to isolate and we could apply for a free PCR test (not obligatory).

Neither of us is bothered about the PCR test for ourselves, although it makes a degree of sense if we might put others at risk. However we have no symptoms and we are fairly sure we both had it in Q1 2020 so we have not pursued it.

Neither of us can work out where we might have been to get the ping - we didn't go anywhere on the 28th. We're wondering if the person we were proximitous to lives on the other side of the party wall in our rented semi! Usually my phone can see at least a couple of bluetooth devices that aren't ours, including phones, so I think that could be it.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 1 Sep 21 at 21:00
 NHS Covid App - Bobby
Two weeks ago we went to Ireland for a holiday, visiting relatives in the North and then heading down into the South.
Rules are very strict in the Republic - proof of vaccinations required for indoor hospitalite so we had printed off our NHS Baccination letters as mentioned above.
On the Friday we went a hike around Houth near Dublin and got caught in a horrendous thunderstorm and got drenched to the skin even though we had waterproofs on. And I can vouch that the ink on the letter is not waterproof! Thankfully that was just before we came home so didn't need to show it again.

Last Friday I woke up with a cough which steadily got worse over the day. I had taken a home lateral flow and it was negative but eventually on the Sat I went for a PCR and then had to isolate until result came in. Result appeared at 11pm on Sunday night by which time the cough had developed into a fiull on cold (almost man flu) and of course the test came back negative.

Interestingly here in Scotland cases are continuing to rocket (not sure what is happening elsewhere in UK?) and today it has been announced that we will very shortly have a QR code app and we may be going down the road of vaccine passports for big groups at events.

Personally, in one hand I feel that we are double jabbed, we just need to get on with things. But this time I know so many more people than ever before that have tested positive. On Friday I am supposed to be meeting my work colleagues for dinner, the first time we have seen each other in 18 months, but now I am feeling a bit uneasy about going in to a pub and sitting at a table of 12 people. Although I have been out for quite a few meals since lockdown eased, this has always been in controlled family / friend groups.

However unless this cold dries up before then, the decision will be made for me. Nowadays I don't think anyone can go along to a social gathering with a bit of a cough and a sniffle without getting stared at!
 NHS Covid App - No FM2R
Many points there;

In a few days I set off on my European tour. The thought of testing negative on Sunday, never mind at any of the other points, causes me to quake.

Consequently, unfairly and illogically, I have been giving Paddington Hard-stares to anybody who even looks like they may have a sniffle before they even begin to consider the idea of getting close to me.

In truth the illness itself doesn't bother me. I'm pretty sure I've had it, I think I may have even had it twice (once pre-vaccine when it was pretty awful and once post-vaccine when it was brief).

.*********

So we have;

1) Social acceptability of a sniffle, and there isn't any.
2) Health impact of a sniffle, which is likely to be trivial
3) The life impact/disruption of testing positive, which could be considerable.

As long as I make it out of here, I can cope with anything else.
 NHS Covid App - zippy
>>Nowadays I don't think anyone can go along to a social gathering with a bit of a cough and a ??
>>sniffle without getting stared at!

b***** that! I nearly always have a cough or cold caused by hay-fever or some other allergen. It's not going to stop me enjoying going out.

I will just have to grow a thick skin.
 NHS Covid App - Duncan
>> Interestingly here in Scotland cases are continuing to rocket (not sure what is happening >> elsewhere in UK?

www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Those are the UK figures. Cases have been clinbing to 34,000 a day. just levelled off. Deaths, comparatively are low.

Dr John Campbell who does an interesting daily video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRb5hnTseU

believes that, sooner or later, we are all going to get Covid. If we are vaccinated, not too old, no other serious conditions, we should be alright......
 NHS Covid App - Lygonos
>>believes that, sooner or later, we are all going to get Covid

I think that's been apparent for the last year or so, and moreso as the past few months show vaccination doesn't entirely stop you catching Covid, but very much dominishes the severe effects of it.

Covid 19 will remain in circulation in perpetuity.

Be covered or roll the dice.

NHS Covid App - helicopter
Wednesday I was at two meetings indoors, each 3 hours long , first with 15 and second with 100 plus . All were gentlemen of a certain age and seated in close proximity and I know of several who have had Covid.

Last night a meeting and then dinner for 250 seated very close together.Again several of them had had Covid.

Not one attendee at those meetings was wearing a mask although serving staff did.

Saturday I will take my chance with 20,000 others in South London at the test match.....

Life has to go on and IMO Covid is a risk we take along with flu , heart attack or simply crossing the road..
 NHS Covid App - zippy
>> Life has to go on and IMO Covid is a risk we take along with
>> flu , heart attack or simply crossing the road..

Masks help prevent you spreading Covid to others as much as helping stop you catching Covid and basically that attitude is rather selfish.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Sep 21 at 11:01
 NHS Covid App - Zero

>> Masks help prevent you spreading Covid to others as much as helping stop you catching
>> Covid and basically that attitude is rather selfish.

Covid wasn't invited to that meeting, blackballed by the Worshipfull master.
 NHS Covid App - smokie
On another forum someone reported a chat with a microbiologist who said that cloth masks were too large a mesh to prevent the virus entering - likened it to marbles being thrown at building scaffolding. No idea whether true or not but the ensuing recommendation is high quality surgical masks.

Also I read a study which said that 36% of people who have had coronavirus never make antibodies. Not a very large test though, 72 people. wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/9/21-1042_article

And also there is a new variant of Interest - Mu, in Columbia.

A (again reasonably small sample) study on the Az vaccine in the Lancet said that a longer interval between 1st and 2nd dose gives higher antibody titres - 44 weeks between doses was best - and a 3rd booster was successful at boosting antibody titres www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01699-8/fulltext

Lastly Germany are ending free testing on 11 Oct. I've not seen a similar statement for the UK but I guess it will happen.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Sep 21 at 12:39
 NHS Covid App - Manatee
It's a risk one is much better placed to take if double jabbed. Double jabbed + had it, assuming no ill effects remain, will be even better.

There are probably a few of us here who will never be fitter than we are now so if we have had the jabs we might as well go and catch it.

It looks to me as if Australia and NZ, having done a remarkable job of keeping Covid low, have messed up with vaccination with NZ under 30% of adults and Australia at c. 35% fully jabbed. Perhaps the fact that there isn't much around makes people reluctant to take it.
 NHS Covid App - No FM2R
>>It looks to me as if Australia and NZ, having done a remarkable job of keeping Covid low

Not really.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-australia-break-free-from-an-endless-cycle-of-lockdowns-8g8bndm7b
 NHS Covid App - Manatee
>> >>It looks to me as if Australia and NZ, having done a remarkable job of
>> keeping Covid low
>>
>> Not really.
>>
>> www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-australia-break-free-from-an-endless-cycle-of-lockdowns-8g8bndm7b

Unfortunately that's paywalled.

I wasn't specifically aware of the level of strictness around lockdowns in Oz, I suppose you can debate whether their handling was good, but to be at 40 deaths per million population and just over 1,000 deaths in total sounds remarkable to me.

In NZ, the PM has been much lauded and 26 deaths, 5 per million, is a great success on that dimension. Compare both with UK at 133,000 deaths and 1946 per million, 1/50th and 1/400th of the death rate respectively.

Where they have massively underperformed is in not using the opportunity to vaccinate enough people. On the face of it, now it is accepted that Covid will not die out as a result of herd immunity, they must either have a further extended period of isolation / lockdowns or, if they open up soon, a significantly higher level of deaths. It just looks as if they wasted the opportunity they created.

Whether this is down to the population's unwillingness to be jabbed or lack of provision I don't know.
 Vaccine deal - sooty123
www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-03/covid-19-vaccine-swap-pfizer-four-million-doses-from-uk/100431828

NHS Covid App - Zero
>> I wasn't specifically aware of the level of strictness around lockdowns in Oz,

Parts of NSW and Sydney had military enforced curfews and extreme movement restrictions.

Socially the country has fractured a bit with some states blaming other states (mind you there has always been inter state distrust and dislike - its surprisingly tribal out there and I dont mean aborigines)

>> Whether this is down to the population's unwillingness to be jabbed or lack of provision
>> I don't know.

Both, the population is anti vaccine gung ho, and the government have badly mis-sold the benefits and screwed the supply of same rigid. - its a long haul there now.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 Sep 21 at 09:36
 NHS Covid App - VxFan
>> Last night a meeting and then dinner for 250 seated very close together.
>> Not one attendee at those meetings was wearing a mask although serving staff did.

How were they expected to eat their dinner while wearing a mask?
 NHS Covid App - James Loveless
"Life has to go on and IMO Covid is a risk we take along with flu , heart attack or simply crossing the road."

A sensible person will accept risks, but minimise them.

You get yourself vaccinated against flu, practise good hygiene and keep clear of people who may have infections. You avoid a heart attack as far as possible by adopting a good diet, keeping your weight under control, not smoking, drinking in moderation and taking any relevant medication you're prescribed. When you cross the road you look both ways first.

Sitting in a room close to others for hours with everyone maskless seems a bit like walking straight out across a busy road without looking.
Latest Forum Posts