Non-motoring > Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 30

Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - Robin O'Reliant
Sad to hear that Charlie Watts has just died -

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58316842

Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - Zero
Classy bloke Charlie, outside the stones he was always well dressed, in a classic sense, and able to dress well to periods of style of the current near and past. Saw him with his jazz band once, (think it was Ronnie Scotts) - 80 years of age, surprised any of the Stones have survived this long TBH.
Mick looks after himself, Bill Wyman never did drugs and Keith Richards is still alive because Satan doesn't want his type lowering the tone of the place.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 24 Aug 21 at 18:45
 Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - helicopter
Saw him a couple of years ago playing Jazz with the ABC of Boogy Woogy at the Hawth in Crawley, A was Axel Zwingenberger, B was Ben Waters and C was Charlie. Jazz was his first love.

SWMBO and were having a drink prior to the show when he appeared in the bar with Ben Waters and was quite happy to chat with punters and have his photo taken. Seemed like a nice grounded sort compared to your average rock star.

RIP Charlie.
A collector of classic cars who didn't drive himself. I believe he never had a computer or a mobile phone either.
 Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - zippy
RIP Charlie!
 Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - smokie
I've seen the Stones three times in five years. At Desert Trip in California, £30 lucky dip ticket got me in the front pit at Southampton and another £30 lucky dip right at the back of the Cardiff stadium. Fantastic every time. Was also lucky enough to see them in the late 90s at the Brixton Academy where I had a hand on the drum stick he threw into the crowd, as well as at other times in other places.

Charlie was the oldest but I didn't think he'd be the first to go, given that his past was a little more sedate than the others.

RIP.

PS @ Helicopter, I have a ticket to Axel and Ben in Sept somewhere on the S Coast.

Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - Clk Sec
RIP Charlie Watts.
That will be Wimborne on the 17th then with Luca Sestak as well Smokie....
Saw Ben a couple of weeks ago at Farnham Maltings, playing as well as ever.

Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - R.P.
Never got to hear them live, I baulked at a $200 ticket in LA in 2013. I did see a version of the RSs at Knebworth in 1979.
Saw the stones Voodoo Lounge tour at Wembley Stadium.
 Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - No FM2R
I've never really likes The Rolling Stones. Not much when they were newish and certainly not now.

It ought to be my sort of music, but somehow it isn't. I certainly would never pay to go and see them. Not that it's bad, it's just a bit boring.
Gosh. Look at the Beatles and the Stones, who blossomed at the same time. The stones were much more edgy, less "poppy" mostly I think because of their Jazzy Blues influences. Gimme Shelter (what a haunting intro) is up there on a level the Beatles could never hope to reach.
I quite agree, with a very few exceptions I don't much like the Beatles either. I mean, it's quite catchy pop stuff, but it's not far in front of the Spice Girls.
>> I quite agree, with a very few exceptions I don't much like the Beatles either.
>> I mean, it's quite catchy pop stuff, but it's not far in front of the
>> Spice Girls.
>>

Wash your marf out!

This ain't far from the Spice Girls? -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM

Pah!!!
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM
>>
>> Pah!!!

Its school concert stuff with a mess in the middle. Still I suppose as long as you. keep your fire engine clean its a clean machine,
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Aug 21 at 19:49
>> Its school concert stuff with a mess in the middle. Still I suppose as long
>> as you. keep your fire engine clean its a clean machine,

You are just so wrong. You are wronger than the wrongest person on an island for the wrong.

And as for that other bloke, I have a long memory. I remember back in the other place when he was asking where he could find a particular track by the Monkees. It doesn't get any lower than that.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 26 Aug 21 at 03:12

>> You are just so wrong. You are wronger than the wrongest person on an island
>> for the wrong.

Pfffttt You'll be telling me next a certain team is top of the league, having scored 8 goals.

>> And as for that other bloke, I have a long memory. I remember back in
>> the other place when he was asking where he could find a particular track by
>> the Monkees. It doesn't get any lower than that.

Unless its the bangles he doesn't recognise music.

>> Pfffttt You'll be telling me next a certain team is top of the league, having
>> scored 8 goals.

And not let in ten, either.

I reckon they're another team in disguise.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 26 Aug 21 at 03:12
 Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - bathtub tom
I can take or leave the Stones, but I've requested sympathy for the devil be played at my funeral.
SWMBO says over her dead body.
>>And as for that other bloke, I have a long memory. I remember back in the other place when he was asking where he could find a particular track by the Monkees. It doesn't get any lower than that.

If that was me I think you're slightly wrong - I think it was the Smash Mouth version of I'm a Believer. Because I really like that.

As for The Bangles - I started fancying Susanna Hoffs in 1981 and I've never stopped. My idea of an older woman (by about 8 months).
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 25 Aug 21 at 23:07
>>
>>
>> If that was me I think you're slightly wrong - I think it was the
>> Smash Mouth version of I'm a Believer. Because I really like that.
>>
>>
>>
Cool video, I'll give you that.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mYBSayCsH0

But I'm sure you were after the Monkees version, with some cock and bull claim that it was for your mum.
You may well be right but I am surprised I wasn't able to find it without help. Whereas I do recall struggling to find the Smash Mouth one years ago after my daughters had heard it in the original Shrek movie.

Still, I'm not denying I quite like two or three of The Monkees's tracks
 Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - smokie
@Helicopter - saw Ben with Axel and a couple of other boogie men at the Tivoli in Wimborne on Friday. Most entertaining. Although I booked it ages ago it was billed on the night as a tribute to Charlie, and Ben said it was the same venue where Charlie first played with him.

Almost 2 years to the day since Ben's last concert at the Tivoli before retirement! www.resortdorset.com/events/Wimborne/6841/Ben+Waters+%3A+Final+Performance+at+The+Tivoli/
Ben officially retired at least two years ago but seems to be unable to leave the stage.

I believe the idea was that he was planning to run tours worldwide with his company Rock and Roll holidays in retirement and Covid of course put paid to that.

I do hope that he carries on performing . I certainly will travel a long way to see him .

Do Keith Richards and The Gallagher brother on the left look remarkably similar or is it just me?

oasis.pe/noticias/musica/oasis-noel-gallagher-piensa-en-disco-de-covers-y-liam-se-escapa-en-jet-privado-24983#1

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58323305

Similar to the much younger Keith.

But nobody will ever look like Keith Richards does now while they are still alive.
 Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - Manatee
Charlie was a subject on Last Word on Friday

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000z1k9
 Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - MD
I've seen him a few times in local boozers here. A class act and the best dressed man ever by a country mile. Sad loss.
>> I've seen him a few times in local boozers here. A class act and the
>> best dressed man ever by a country mile. Sad loss.

I heard a tale he ordered two saville row suits a week, and ended up with a wardrobe offering a different suit for every day of the year.
 Charlie Watts Puts His Sticks Away - MD
I doubt we'd ever know, but every time I saw him he was immaculately dressed.
Latest Forum Posts