Non-motoring > Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: martin aston Replies: 43

Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - martin aston
We need to go to Leeds at short notice. It’s something we’ve done several times before to see Aston junior. We have never had much of a problem in getting a good deal. As of yesterday pretty much everything is booked up and prices are eye watering. We’ve ended up in a Travelodge which is not too bad at £240 for two nights (Th Fr). However had we also stayed Saturday, as we originally intended, it would have been another £250 just for that one night.
There are no obvious major events that weekend and a quick search around a couple of other cities and our local market town has the same fully booked picture.
I guess it’s the staycation boom and market forces at work.
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - Netsur
We visited York last week for the day. Swamped with tourists...
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - tyrednemotional
...Leeds being at home to Everton might account for the Saturday situation.

A lot of football fans are taking advantage of the relaxation of restrictions, and attendances (and number of travelling fans) are likely to be high.

With limited overseas destinations easily available, a night out in Leeds on the lash afterwards is the next best thing to Ibiza (allegedly).
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - legacylad
Coincidentally, an hour ago I rang the 3* hotel in St Annes which my old mum has been visiting for many years....I’d drive her there Monday AM, her favourite Toby carvery lunch, then down to the Tower Ballroom to watch the floor show. Drive home and collect her Friday.
A dutiful son indeed !!
These days she’s not capable of being left there alone....the hotel no longer provide dinner, it’s B & B only. I was quoted, mid September, £327 for 3 nights B & B with a sea view ( thats a laugh) or £207 for 3 nights B & B with a view of a brick wall. Holy Moly. Stuff that. I’ll try to find somewhere else

I’ve just booked 7 weeks late October> early December in a 2 bed, 2 bath luxury penthouse in Moraira. Private rooftop bbq area and plunge pool, communal pool, secure parking, sea view and glorious SW facing aspect. £250 a week + electric.

Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - Zero
>Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on?

Its the end of restrictions, Its school holidays, Its high staff wages due to staff shortages, its increased costs due to supply chain issues, In short its a perfect storm.
>> In short its a perfect storm.
>>

....yeah; should've bought a Sports Utility Vehicle caravan....
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - Terry
It is just supply and demand.

I can't really blame the hotels for exploiting the situation given the completely rubbish experience business wise of the last 18 months.

If you don't want to pay, just wait a few weeks until after the school holidays. If it is that important or critical then you simply have to cough up.
>> >> In short its a perfect storm.
>> >>
>>
>> ....yeah; should've bought a Sports Utility Vehicle caravan....

have you seen the prices of Caravans cross over camping vehicles? Sellers market.
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - smokie
I've had a couple of short breaks recently and could see that hospitality in general is suffering from staff shortage.

I also think other stuff seems to have noticeably gone up in price and I suspect there is something of businesses trying to claw back some of the past year or so's losses.

The Beeb said wages were up 7%.

Inflation anybody?
13 September in St Annes ain’t skool holidays.

The price of beer hasn’t gone up. Still £3.30 a pint for excellent beer ( 3 hand pumps which change daily) in my local, Bar 13 in Settle. £3.20/£3.40 in the Talbot, and £3.40 at the Queen Inn, Great Crosby yesterday. Choice of 3 great beers, brewed literally just over the road.

I can’t comment on nuts n crisps !
You can’t trust the headline wage inflation figure due to the exceptional COVID situation. Wages have gone up but part of the “rise” is due to the corresponding months last year seeing a lot of people furloughed on 80% wages. When they return to work their wage rises by 25%. Of course not everyone was on furlough but an element were.
And if they are short of staff then their overall wage bill won’t be rising by the headline amount. They are having it both ways.
>> You can’t trust the headline wage inflation figure due to the exceptional COVID situation. Wages
>> have gone up but part of the “rise” is due to the corresponding months last
>> year seeing a lot of people furloughed on 80% wages. When they return to work
>> their wage rises by 25%. Of course not everyone was on furlough but an element
>> were.

Have you seen the *real* wage rise for Lorry drivers for example? Doubled, not in headline terms not in 20% more furlough terms, But actual hard cash over pre covid / pre brexit terms.
Sure there will be examples either way but 11.6m jobs which have had some element of furlough will carry a lot of weight in the average. And on the 80% scheme a return to 100% is a 25% increase.
Last edited by: martin aston on Wed 18 Aug 21 at 18:30
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - DeeW
The only room I can find on Mull next week, whether hotel, Airbnb or b&b, is £350 per night, nothing special about hotel or it’s facilities. We were hoping to stay a few days as sister is working at Castle Duart for the season… her accommodation is very much for one and I don’t fancy three nights in the Morgan.
>> The only room I can find on Mull next week, whether hotel, Airbnb or b&b,
>> is £350 per night, nothing special about hotel or it’s facilities. We were hoping to
>> stay a few days as sister is working at Castle Duart for the season… her
>> accommodation is very much for one and I don’t fancy three nights in the Morgan.
>>
I'd rent you the CCV, but you can't fit a tow bar on the Morgan. Still a tent from go outdoors is quite cheap, certainly less than 350
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - Kevin
>I'd rent you the CCV, but you can't fit a tow bar on the Morgan.

Isn't there somewhere to attach a bungee cord for towing a shedling?
Shedling? SHEDLING? OOOooooooo I like that, its so cute............
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - Bromptonaut
>> Shedling? SHEDLING? OOOooooooo I like that, its so cute............

There was a 'shedling' at Edinburgh CAMC site. Awning at the rear is a little unusual but no pitching issue given the size of the 'van.
>> >> Shedling? SHEDLING? OOOooooooo I like that, its so cute............
>>
>>
>> There was a 'shedling' at Edinburgh CAMC site. Awning at the rear is a little
>> unusual but no pitching issue given the size of the 'van.

There can be pitching issues, If you use the custom Vango RVA1 awning it made the total length nearly 9 metres, and hence an issue at some sites. Swift with Vango have recently made a smaller one available. Mine came with 3 different size awnings,
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - Runfer D'Hills
OMG he's on about awnings now. Knew it would happen, it was just a matter of time. Take it you've already got the matching fleeces sorted?

Sheesh. :-(
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - No FM2R
I can see him now, in a lay-by outside Guildford, with his little square picnic table and a couple of deck chairs as he stops for a rest on his way to Hayling Island, socks with sandals and a multi-coloured tank-top knitted by Idris..
...and a knotted hanky on his head eh?

It'll be fairy lights next. Mark my words...
>> ...and a knotted hanky on his head eh?
>>
>> It'll be fairy lights next. Mark my words...

Two sets, one go in the awning and one round the front. And an event pole, with a big pink pig flying from it - reminds me of one of my chums on here.....
>> I can see him now, in a lay-by outside Guildford, with his little square picnic
>> table and a couple of deck chairs as he stops for a rest on his
>> way to Hayling Island, socks with sandals and a multi-coloured tank-top knitted by Idris..

perhaps you could have seen us when you were passing by? You should have, you might have got a bacon sarnie.
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - Clk Sec
>>Take it you've already got the matching fleeces sorted?

He must have; after all, they're taking the UK by storm...
>> >>Take it you've already got the matching fleeces sorted?
>>
>> He must have; after all, they're taking the UK by storm...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - DeeW
Nice idea, thanks. Have to be very minute tent, Z. It really is just the space behind the seats…. I have worked out how little I can take and still look suitably glam! We go to a party in Wales most years and get a local glamping site to put up a bell tent in friends field… very civilised really, but doesn’t seem to be an option for this trip.
>> We need to go to Leeds at short notice. It’s something we’ve done several times
>> before to see Aston junior. We have never had much of a problem in getting
>> a good deal.

Did you try places outside the City and not otherwise touristy?

We needed an overnight in mid June returning from the Western Isles. Places on the A82 like Fort William or Dumbarton wanted £80+. The Premier Inn at Glasgow Airport was £29 but that was before foreign travel was unlocked.
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - Bobby
Just Reminder, especially if using sites like booking.com, find your accommodation and then phone then direct and, in most cases, you will get it cheaper.
Booking.com charge 15% to the property owner.
Yes Bromp we tried outside Leeds but it was the same everywhere within 30 mins drive of our daughter’s place in North Leeds.
Anyway we are there now having driven up M5/M42/M42. Very busy with two spells of 20 mins sitting in queues.
>> Anyway we are there now having driven up M5/M42/M42.
>>

...now my journeys are now somewhat less time-critical than they once were, I find myself increasingly choosing less obvious alternatives, which surprisingly often turn out to be not much slower, and also rather more relaxing.

I've done the M1 to M5 a good few times in the last couple of years and (though I also have the choice of the A38, and the A42/M42) I've come to favour the M69/A46 between Leicester and Tewkesbury (M5 J9) and vice versa.

It can be a trifle slow navigating the string of roundabouts around Evesham, but there are usually very few other hold-ups. I hesitate to recommend it at the moment, however, as the roadworks on the Coventry by-pass at Binley are, at best, unpredictable, and they've just closed a lane in each direction on the Warwick bypass for a month or so (neither of the above were of much concern on last Monday afternoon, though).
...and to be fair, when you get that beige Volvo, you really shouldn't drive it fast, it simply wouldn't look right. Just stick to 40 mph everywhere, people will understand.

;-)
>> ...when you get that beige Volvo.....
>>
>>
...I think it's already taken a leaf out of my book, and is coming slowly via an indirect and imaginative route from Ghent.....
That feels like the start of a limerick.

"There once was a Volvo from Ghent
That was sold to an elderly gent..."

Can't think of a next line for now, but I'll ponder it while I have my evening swim.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 19 Aug 21 at 19:55

>> "There once was a Volvo from Ghent..."

with a wheel that was remarkably bent
...thank you Mark......

There once was a Volvo from Ghent
That was sold to an elderly gent...
It went faster by far...
..than the Mercedes car
with a wheel that was remarkably bent
There once was a Volvo from Ghent
That was sold to an elderly gent
He'd ordered it beige
But much to his rage
That wasn't the colour they sent

There ;-)
Compared to U.K. self catering astronomical prices, I’ve just booked a two bed, 2 bath luxury apartment in Moraira...10 mins walk into the centre and my favourite bars and curry houses.
40 sq metre private rooftop sun terrace, bbq area, small pool...also a large communal pool. Private secure parking and fabulous SW views so great sunsets behind the Bernia mountain and views down the coast to Calpe ( which I think is a dump)
€300 per week + electric.
7 weeks from 26 October, and another 6 weeks from mid February to maximise my 90/180 days.
I won’t be holidaying in the U.K. anytime soon...bad enough paying £60 B & B in hotels in Scotland on my last walking trip earlier this year.
Fingers crossed I can get there
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - Manatee
Staycation means staying at home rather than holidaying in the UK doesn't it, so perhaps a staycation unboom.

My usual northern base is the Clarion Cedar Court in Huddersfield. Good breakfasts. Pre-lockdown we could usually get a room and breakfast for 2 for £70 or so if we avoid Saturdays but it's running about double or a bit more at the moment.

I don't understand it really. Business folk have supposedly taken to Zoom etc and whilst Brits are holidaying in the UK, the foreign visitors aren't here and Huddersfield probably isn't on many people list of intended holiday spots. Maybe the non-staycationers are away visiting relatives while school's out.
>>the foreign visitors aren't here

I'm really looking forward to it. I've been invited to a thing in Westminster in October. I'm hoping tourism will still be right down. London is apparently a complete joy at the moment.
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - bathtub tom
>>I've been invited to a thing in Westminster in October

Not another royal wedding?
>> >>I've been invited to a thing in Westminster in October
>>
>> Not another royal wedding?

God no, other side of the road.
>> I'm hoping tourism will still be right down. London is apparently a complete joy
>> at the moment.

I have not been into London since mid 2019 for a get together of Civil Service colleagues and retirees.

Mrs B and I are going to a Prom concert on 31 August. A hotel afterwards has been ridiculously cheap.
 Hotel prices this weekend what’s going on? - Slightlyfatdirector
Interesting thread. My wife and I went to our local village pub a couple of Saturday's ago and got chatting to a couple that were staying there. Asked them what brought them to our village (a bit out of the way in Sussex) and they said it was the price.
Whilst they lived in Brighton, they were going to have a hotel stay / weekend break there (no, I have no idea....) and found the prices had gone through the roof.

Anywhere interesting was charging the same so they looked further afield and stayed in the village itself. Used it for a few walks and visiting some local small towns that otherwise they would not have seen ever

I can imagine it's the same pretty much everywhere that would be considered a tourist destination. Lots of people finally let out of the house and with money to burn, and it comes down to supply and demand.
Latest Forum Posts