Non-motoring > Severe Earthquake in Haiti Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 21

Severe Earthquake in Haiti - No FM2R
A terrible thing anywhere, but especially in a country as broken as Haiti.

www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-58215631

And I'm not making light of it, but this quote caught my eye.....

"Naomi Verneus, a 34-year-old resident of the capital Port-au-Prince, told the Associated Press news agency she was woken up by the earthquake and that her bed was shaking.

"I woke up and didn't have time to put my shoes on. We lived the 2010 earthquake and all I could do was run. I later remembered my two kids and my mother were still inside."

I have been in many earthquakes, I really, really don't like them and I do understand the fear. But forgetting your children and mother?
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - sooty123
There must be someone in the world who would forget, why not her?
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - Runfer D'Hills
A very long time ago, my mate who was from Edinburgh but at the time lived in London, was driving back north one Friday night to introduce his new French wife to his family. They had met and married very quickly without a big wedding, and she hadn't ever met his family.

Now, he is a very intelligent guy, and actually very successful these days, but he totally lacks common sense. Anyway, they had got as far as Leicester Forest services when they decided to stop for a comfort break.

Johnny totally forgot he had his wife with him, got back into his car and set off for Edinburgh. This was before mobile phones. After about an hour, he remembered what he shouldn't have forgotten, and retraced his journey to the services only to find no sign of her.

Now panicking of course, he pointed the car back towards Edinburgh. Much more angst ensued, but the bottom line was that she had his credit cards in her handbag, and had got a taxi to Birmingham airport, flown to Edinburgh, got another taxi, and was waiting for him at his parents house when he arrived.

Cost him quite a lot as I recall, and not just financially. ;-)

They are still together all these years later, but the story still comes up from time to time of course.

>> There must be someone in the world who would forget, why not her?

Not following you, Sooty.
>> >> There must be someone in the world who would forget, why not her?
>>
>> Not following you, Sooty.
>>

From what I read you seemed to suggest that it was very unlikely that in the middle of an earthquake anyone would forget their family were in the building they had just left.

I'm suggesting there must be someone in the world (probably more than one) who would do such a thing, so could well be her.

Unless I've misunderstood you.
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - smokie
I suppose the shock might have caused a memory blip.
>> Unless I've misunderstood you.

No, not misunderstood. Taken me a bit too seriously perhaps.

I certainly was not commenting on the lady herself or individually, just that I cannot imagine anything sufficiently scary for me to forget my children, and more, if I did, to then talk about as if it was of the magnitude of forgetting to cancel the milk.

But, as I said, not a comment to be taken too seriously.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 14 Aug 21 at 20:26
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - bathtub tom
I remember an old college lecturer giving us a fire drill:

"If the alarm goes off, follow me, if you can keep up".

A fireman once told me most casualties are caused by people going back for something.
I remember a bomb disposal expert telling me that if I ever saw him running I should try to keep up.
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - bathtub tom
Surprised we're not getting any reports from the Dominican Republic. With an earthquake of that magnitude, surely they felt it?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-58215631
According to my friend, a Haitian lady, there was no great damage in her town but in a more rural area further to the west it was quite severe. I do realise the fault was in not asking her the name of her town.
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - Zero
Earthquakes can be remarkably localised, or widespread, They can be felt 20 miles away, but somewhere in between not noticed. Its all about strata and terra firma make up.
>> Surprised we're not getting any reports from the Dominican Republic. With an earthquake of that
>> magnitude, surely they felt it?
>>

I would guess it's not that high up in the news because of the shooting and the taliban in afghan.
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - Netsur
>> I remember an old college lecturer giving us a fire drill:
>>
>> "If the alarm goes off, follow me, if you can keep up".
>>
>> A fireman once told me most casualties are caused by people going back for something.
>>

About 13 years ago a friend was driving down from Glasgow to Manchester late at night. Her car broke down on the M61 near Bolton at about 00:30 in the outside lane. She got out of the car, ran to the hard shoulder and called the emergencies servcies. At the same time another woman stopped on the hard shoulder and looked after her. She then realised her handbag was in her car and the motorway was very quiet. She ran back to her car and as she was opening the door, a drunk driver rammed her at 70+mph. DOA at hospital(if not before), distraught woman who helped and parents bereft of a loving daughter. Never go back into danger.
Some years ago I was on the A14 rushing home from work to change clothes. As I got to my exit I noticed a soft top car pulling over because a sweater or similar had blown out on to the carriageway.

!0 minutes later on my way back to work I passed the scene where she had ben killed while running into the carriageway to get her jumper back.
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - Zero
Hate the A14, its always been a dangerous road, traffic too fast, lanes to narrow, too many trucks straight out the docks
I used to use the A14 every day, and you're right, it's a hateful road.
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - VxFan
>> But forgetting your children ?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18391663

David Cameron's daughter Nancy left behind at pub
There have been three earthquakes over 8.0 in the last 10 years in Chile, and many over 7.0.

An 8.8 earthquake is a very frightening thing.

Forgetting your child is quite different in those circumstances and quite different to a calm afternoon in Oxfordshire.

I guess you'll have to take my word for it.
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - R.P.
I forgot my first (late) wife once. Deadlocked her in a car as I walked off to a shop. Not a happy bunny..
 Severe Earthquake in Haiti - Duncan
>> >> But forgetting your children ?
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18391663

I am no fan of David Cameron, but wasn't it a case of a misunderstanding over who is looking after whom?
Latest Forum Posts