Non-motoring > Iced-up boiler condensate Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 11

Iced-up boiler condensate - Ambo
A remedy suggested for icing in the manual with my Glow Worm boiler is the application of warm cloths to the external outlet pipe. This is not practicable for various reasons. Have any posters tried insulating their outlet pipes? If so, what materials have you used? In my case, there is not a lot of room between the pipe and the wall.
 Iced-up boiler condensate - martin aston
My plumber used standard slip on insulation foam tubing with cable ties for additional security. It’s lasted 9 years so far but is starting to crumble so thanks for the reminder to change. My pipe is about an inch clear of the wall. I guess pipe insulation would squeeze a bit if your space is tight. If it’s really tight you might have to trim it?
 Iced-up boiler condensate - Fursty Ferret
If you have power in the vicinity then a trace heating element is a decent bet.
 Iced-up boiler condensate - Zero
The chances are you won't have a problem, never had an iced up condensate pipe
 Iced-up boiler condensate - Stuartli
>> The chances are you won't have a problem, never had an iced up condensate pipe>>

|Perhaps your condensate pipe, like so many others round here, including mine, isn't on a north/south facing wall? !! They can and do ice-up, as I know to my cost.
 Iced-up boiler condensate - Zero
Perhaps your condensate pipe, like many others round your way was badly installed?
 Iced-up boiler condensate - Bromptonaut
There are houses in my road which face north and where ice in drives etc often persists for the whole day in winter. By contrast the rear of those homes face south and will catch any available sun.

Is there a way to protect condensate pipes where the installation is on a cold facing wall or the home is in a frost pocket?
 Iced-up boiler condensate - Dog
www.which.co.uk/reviews/boilers/article/how-to-thaw-a-frozen-boiler-condensate-pipe-ajsDE4m6tXPw#how-to-stop-your-condensing-pipe-from-freezing
 Iced-up boiler condensate - martin aston
They certainly can ice up. If it’s against a warm wall and gets morning sun then the risk is less. But with no heat coming off a well-insulated wall and no sunshine there is definitely that possibility. It happened to my daughter’s system in Leeds last winter. A kettle full of hot water opened it up.
 Iced-up boiler condensate - Stuartli
>> A kettle full of hot water opened it up.>>

Mine is at least 30ft high on the gable end...:-(
I got a handyman of all trades of some 35 years' experience to look at my pipes this afternoon. He said he had never seen a house with insulated exterior pipes.
I got on to the boiler installer. He said my pipe was 1.25" in diameter and would not freeze. He said smaller pipes would need insulation.
Latest Forum Posts