Non-motoring > Tokyo 2020 Olympics Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 31

Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Duncan
The Olympics have started.

I have just spent a very soporic half hour watching Japan play USA at softball.

I do not have a clue what was happening, but at the end Japan had won the Gold medal.

In the rest of the Olympics the TV coverage is awful. Tomorrow (Wednesday) it seems the Men's Cycling individual time trial is starting from 03.30. Can I watch it on TV? No one knows!

I have been able to watch hours of adults wearing helmets kicking each other, but to watch cycling? It seems that is far too difficult.

I hate the BBC.
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Pezzer
Do you have Eurosport - they seem to have loads of channels available for the Olympics.
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - No FM2R
There's one event where the girls have to pay not to wear bikinis. I'm having trouble finding it.

The BBC are doing a crap job, but it's not entirely their fault. Discovery paid a gazillion pounds for the broadcast rights and have limited the BBC (The Olympics is a protected event) to only two live events at any given time and so they're juggling.
p.s. Eurosport are owned by Discovery.
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Runfer D'Hills
>> There's one event where the girls have to pay not to wear bikinis. I'm having
>> trouble finding it.

Beach Handball.

Not that I've been paying all that much attention really...

;-)
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Zero
Sorry, the games are a damp squib. Athletes dropping out, no crowds, starting lots of events before the opening ceremony,
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Terry
The TV companies probably signed and paid for broadcasting rights years ago.

With crowds and atmosphere I would still find it all somewhat boring.

Lacking crowds and yet more new "sports" (karate, skatebording, softball, sport climbing(?), surfing) it is utterly tedious. "Faster, higher, stronger" it is not.

Still, one can always watch re-runs of top gear for the tenth time on Dave instead (or referably switch the TV off).

>>The TV companies probably signed and paid for broadcasting rights years ago.

Discovery, 2016, all Europe, $1bn.

Discovery have to allow a certain amount FTA in the UK, it didn't have to be the BBC. That deal was also done in 2016.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 27 Jul 21 at 21:26
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Robin O'Reliant
The real Olympics don't start till track and field get underway. Dressage, diving, Ti Kwando and all that similar stuff is only in for PC reasons, it must be seen to be "Inclusive" however little most people care about it.

Sports that have their own high profile world championships or iconic events such as road cycling, football and tennis have no business being there at all.
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - sherlock47
Dressage may have a place for historical reasons, but for general appeal I would have thought dog training would appeal to a larger audience. Or even sheep herding, or whatever it is called. We could look forward to seeing Z appear!
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - tyrednemotional
>> Dressage may have a place for historical reasons, but for general appeal I would have
>> thought dog training would appeal to a larger audience. Or even ....
>>

....watching paint dry...
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - smokie
I just watched a bit on one of the gym tellys and found it quite entertaining, and I'm impressed with the way animals can be trained to do such stuff. To be fair, one of my favourite programmes used to be One Man and his Dog, where Phil Drabble and his dogs did (legal) stuff with sheep - again, hugely entertaining and impressive, in a paint drying way.

Our dressage girl just won a bronze, making her the most medalled GB Olympian, or some such title. On winning she leapt into the arms of a bloke who may have been her husband, but if it wasn't he'll be up before too long for inappropriate touching :-)

Actually found the dressage more interesting (in a small dose) than watching over paid sportsman feigning injury on a pitch, or whatever that recent competition was :-)

Also on was the one where the bloke hangs on a couple of rings on ropes and does some really impressive stuff. Me and the other gym rats were in awe LOL
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Mapmaker
>> >> Dressage may have a place for historical reasons, but for general appeal I would
>> have
>> >> thought dog training would appeal to a larger audience. Or even ....
>> >>
>>
>> ....watching paint dry...
>>

Dressage literally the only thing I would watch. If, of course, we could watch anything... rather than merely reading about it in the newspapers. (I know nothing about dressage, by the way.)
>> Dressage may have a place for historical reasons, but for general appeal I would have
>> thought dog training would appeal to a larger audience. Or even sheep herding, or whatever
>> it is called. We could look forward to seeing Z appear!

There is much shared between dressage and Competitive canine obedience. Head position, foot targets, focus, duration, its just that we use only reward based consequences.

A stylish accurate horse can bring a tear to my eye just as easily as stylish accurate driven hound can.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 28 Jul 21 at 13:16
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Kevin
>There is much shared between dressage and Competitive canine obedience.

Mrs K. watches "America's Top Dog".

Mainly Law Enforcement and Border Security dogs and their handlers competing around an obstacle course, sniffing dope and apprehending a "suspect". Obedience tends to take a back seat to enthusiasm.

Quite funny when one of the dogs grabbed the guy by the family jewels and wouldn't let go. Probably brought a tear to his eye as well.
Last edited by: Kevin on Wed 28 Jul 21 at 13:29
>> >There is much shared between dressage and Competitive canine obedience.
>>
>> Mrs K. watches "America's Top Dog".
>>
>> Mainly Law Enforcement and Border Security dogs and their handlers competing around an obstacle course,
>> sniffing dope and apprehending a "suspect". Obedience tends to take a back seat to enthusiasm.
>>
>>
>> Quite funny when one of the dogs grabbed the guy by the family jewels and
>> wouldn't let go. Probably brought a tear to his eye as well.

The standard of most policedog training is utterly appalling. I know of one force where the handlers suffer more injuries than any "target". And one force where they have to lift their dogs over farm gates, because the dogs are not capable.
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - legacylad

>> A stylish accurate horse can bring a tear to my eye just as easily as
>> stylish accurate driven hound can.

Likewise. A kick in the nuts would bring a tear to most blokes eyes.
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Lygonos
Horse dancing is in the Olympics, yet darts is not?

Meh.
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Duncan
Dressage?

Absolute tosh. If you made a child do that you would be locked up.
Yes it does sometimes seem odd what gets included in the games. At school, we developed a theory about one of our classmates who had an extraordinary talent.

He could, on command, recognisably fart the opening line to the national anthem, in tune and at any time. We postulated that it was indeed of an Olympian standard and that were it to be included, he was an almost certain gold medalist.

Sadly it never was, and he went on instead eventually to hold a very senior position in the Hong Kong and Shanghai bank, a job he has since retired from, but who knows what greatness he could actually have achieved, had his unique talent been recognised and coached.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 28 Jul 21 at 14:39
>>
>>
>> He could, on command, recognisably fart the opening line to the national anthem, in tune
>> and at any time. We postulated that it was indeed of an Olympian standard and
>> that were it to be included, he was an almost certain gold medalist.
>>
>>
>>

It only counts if you light them.

Incidently, Georgie Fame's backing band, The Blue Flames, got there name because they were sitting in the back of the van one day while waiting for a gig when they started lighting their farts. Because it was a very cold day the flames they produced were blue so they changed their name because they liked it.
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - sherlock47
>> Incidently, Georgie Fame's backing band, The Blue Flames, got there name because they were sitting
>> in the back of the van one day while waiting for a gig when they
>> started lighting their farts. Because it was a very cold day the flames they produced
>> were blue so they changed their name because they liked it.
>>

I am not saying it is not true, but I think i would have heard it before as I was acquainted with one of his backing musicians.

Almost as good the story as to why 10CC was named! (It is not true according to SNOPES)!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Wed 28 Jul 21 at 15:59
The story was told by session drummer Clem Cattini when he appeared on Tracks of my Years on the Ken Bruce show a few years ago. He was in the bus with them at the time.

Now I think about it, it was about a band in which Georgie Fame was a member before forming his own group. He apparently thought of the name "Blue Flames" because of that incident. It will almost certainly still be available on BBC Sounds if you search.
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - R.P.
Off to see the remaining 10CCs in October doing an acoustic set. I wonder if Humph's mate would qualify to play the national anthem at the end !
>> Off to see the remaining 10CCs in October doing an acoustic set.

Are 10cc's still a thing?
>> Off to see the remaining 10CCs in October doing an acoustic set. I wonder if
>> Humph's mate would qualify to play the national anthem at the end !

I sincerely hope he's very much out of practice these days, but he might have a crack at it...although, there would be a strong chance of erm, a few bum notes...

Ok, I'll um, stop now I think.
Burping the NA I can just about get, after all, one can easily replenish the air reservoir.

However, farting the NA would surely require an immense amount of preparation with brussels sprouts and the like before one could be confident of the whole verse, and even then the last line may well result in a certain "breathlessness" if not a shart.
It was only the first few notes as I recall, ( the "God save our gracious Queen" bit ) and our school had stone spiral staircases which had astonishingly good acoustics.

He went to live in Hong Kong shortly after university, and I like to think it was a bit of an ice breaker at ex-pat events.

I probably want to stop thinking about this now.

Could we maybe go back to the Beach Handball?
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Bromptonaut
>> However, farting the NA would surely require an immense amount of preparation with brussels sprouts
>> and the like before one could be confident of the whole verse, and even then
>> the last line may well result in a certain "breathlessness" if not a shart.

I read somewhere that there is an oddity where people can draw air in via the anus.

Ah yes, Le Petomaine:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3%A9tomane
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - R.P.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Gouldman

Well Graham is, he has had some very good musicians with him over the years.
yeah but they could never survive Godley and Creme going , tho I guess deceptive bends was an upwards blip in the decline.
 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - zippy
I agree the BBC coverage is dire, but it's not their fault.

I enjoyed the opening ceremony, especially considering it had to be staged with COVID restrictions. The people copying the pictograms was amusing.

I caught some gymnastics and trampoline today, it's all cool stuff.

The swimming and diving was exhilarating - especially when we won! Well done Tom and Matty

The table tennis is surreal. I don't get why the players stare at the balls before a serve.

Really enjoyed the BMX racing today, again we won gold in the woman's race. Apparently Bethany Shriever is crowd funded as Sports England cut her funding. She almost collapsed after the race after giving it her all.

Latest Forum Posts