Non-motoring > External oak door Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 6

External oak door - legacylad
My Mum’s front door, SW facing, and normally covered with a curtain, is blistering and peeling again. Only a few years old, solid oak, the suppliers took it back a few years ago and retreated it.
I believe the suppliers used Sikkens, but the door surface is now raised like blisters, cracking and peeling again, so I’ll try and sort it myself.

Two options are Osmo UV protection oil, or Impranol (2 stage) external treatment. The plan is to remove the door, lay it horizontal, sand with orbital, mouse and by hand then recoat with something !
Suggestions please from those with any such experience.
 External oak door - Dog
I've had excellent results with Sikkens o'er the years = 1 coat HLS Plus followed by 2 coats of Filter 7.

I've also used Osmo which is good, but it wont give the same protection from sou'westerly rain and UV.

A property I viewed some years ago had a Brazilian Mahogany front door which was just oiled (he was a joiner)
but the position was well protected from the elements.
 External oak door - Bobby
Suggestions please

UPVC?????
 External oak door - MD
I always use Idigbo, but with either an Oak or Iroko sill.
 External oak door - sherlock47
Sikkens has always given good results for me on several different hardwood doors/frames. If it is blistering I would suggest it has been applied over the top of an incompatible product? Possibly over oil?
 External oak door - VxFan
What about the stuff that's supposed to "do what is says on the tin"?

Ronseal.
 External oak door - Dog
>>If it is blistering I would suggest it has been applied over the top of an incompatible product? Possibly over oil?

I was 'thinking the same actually. Plus the fact there's wood, and there's Goodwood (in Sussex I believe)

From my experience of working with wood o'er the years, I'd rather use a good quality softwood, than some of the cheapo hardwoods available these days.
Latest Forum Posts