Non-motoring > Plug In Cold Box Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 35

Plug In Cold Box - MD
Has anybody got such a beast and opinions on it etc please.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Jul 21 at 16:02
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Zero
I have the Halfords 24 litre box, and a 240/12v adaptor to power it at home for parties and BBQs etc.

Has worked well for the last 5 years, takes a wee while to get down to temp

www.halfords.com/motoring/travel-accessories/coolboxes/halfords-24-litre-12v-electric-coolbox-748115.html

The 40 litre boxes are a bit big and unwieldy making them less practical.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - MD
Thanks Zero.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - smokie
I've got one, had it for years mainly for when I used to camp at Le Mans and elsewhere - which were often pretty warm.

It can be 12 or 240v or gas. It was pretty useless on 12v so I more or less gave up using it. It never really got very cold, and didn't stay that cold even when I'd chilled it down on 240v in advance. It had some technology to stop it using the car battery if the voltage went below a certain point, so you didn't drain it, but that seemed too bear to whatever the normal voltage is and therefore it stayed inactive a lot of the time.

I'm sure the tech has come a on a lot since that one. My mate has a more recent one which seems a bit better but still too warm after a couple of days away.

At home we have two proper fridges so no need for a coolbox. :-)
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Bromptonaut
>> I have the Halfords 24 litre box, and a 240/12v adaptor to power it at
>> home for parties and BBQs etc.

We're on our second of these.

The first failed after 18 months or so. Just stopped working while we were on our hols in France last July.

Replacement, purchased in May, has started making odd noises - maybe the fan bearings. We're away in the 'van right now but it'll be going back on Monday when we get home.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Zero
Maybe the newer ones have an issue
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - James Loveless
We have something similar to Z's.

Works well, the one drawback being that is creates a lot of condensation and stuff in the fridge gets soaked.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - No FM2R
I also have one like Z. I'd say it's ok at keeping stuff cool but it doesn't really make stuff cool. And it is cool, not cold.

I liked the idea but in the end decided it wasn't really worth the effort.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Zero
>> I also have one like Z. I'd say it's ok at keeping stuff cool but
>> it doesn't really make stuff cool. And it is cool, not cold.

I'd call 6c cold. And thats what mine keeps stuff down to, stuff needs to go in cold tho.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - No FM2R
Oh I doubt mine gets it that cold. 10 or so I should think.

The booze fridge out by the barbecue is at 2°C, *that's* cold.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 23 Jul 21 at 17:30
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Manatee
The Halfords type and similar ones that appear in Aldi & Lidl at £30 or so are cooled by Peltier effect. It's a semiconductor device that gets hot on one side and cool on the other when switched on. The hot side releases heat via a grille, sometimes aided a little fan blowing air over it to the outside of the box, the other side cools the interior. The cooling effect is pretty small for a reasonable current so the best way to use them is to fill them with well refrigerated stuff and keep it cool, which it will do reasonably well.

We use one for days out to keep the picnic and drinks cool on the journey there but TBH an insulated box or bag(s) with a reasonable number of ice packs in will do just as well for a day. Chucking an ice pack or two into the cooling box doesn't hurt either.

They do draw enough current that you really only want them on when the engine is running. They probably use as much electricity as a typical small caravan fridge but they are much less efficient and far less effective.

You can buy proper fridges with a compressor (and possibly evaporator types) e.g.
www.amazon.co.uk/Alpicool-K25-Refrigerator-Campervan-20%C2%B0C-20%C2%B0C/dp/B08BX7Q4YF/
if you need something more effective.

Don't expect too much.
I've just remembered what we bought it for. We use it as a supplementary fridge in the caravan (usually in the awning) because the caravan fridge is titchy. When on a hook up, it stays on all the time so is good enough to keep drinks and salad items cool.

I'd forgotten because we haven't used the caravan since 2018 for various reasons, latterly Covid.
Just thinking back to the days when I used to go motor racing in Florida, the Americans use large unpowered cool boxes and bags of ice to keep stuff cool (I suppose due to not being on power for 3+ days). That worked very well, though you'd spend a few quid on bags of ice every few days - but that was in really pretty hot environment. The trick is to not keep them open too long, and where poss only put stuff in which is already cool!

They mostly had big ones, sometimes on wheels, and often had a drain plug as they'd unbag the ice cubes and pour them over everything. This kind of thing tinyurl.com/d5us2vf2 but you can get them much bigger.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - zippy
Went to watch a cricket match a few years ago with some colleagues and there was an alcohol ban unless purchased there.

One of the guys was responsible for refreshments and the ice in the cool box was gin on one side and vodka on the other!
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 23 Jul 21 at 15:43
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - bathtub tom
>> The Halfords type and similar ones that appear in Aldi & Lidl at £30 or
>> so are cooled by Peltier effect. It's a semiconductor device that gets hot on one
>> side and cool on the other when switched on. The hot side releases heat via
>> a grille, sometimes aided a little fan blowing air over it to the outside of
>> the box, the other side cools the interior. The cooling effect is pretty small for
>> a reasonable current so the best way to use them is to fill them with
>> well refrigerated stuff and keep it cool, which it will do reasonably well.

Peltier devices are notoriously inefficient (unless things have changed recently), You're looking at the temperature drop across a semi-conductor bridge, that's atoms. Look very closely at the current consumption!
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Zero

>> Peltier devices are notoriously inefficient (unless things have changed recently), You're looking at the temperature
>> drop across a semi-conductor bridge, that's atoms. Look very closely at the current consumption!

They may be inefficient, and that means drawing current, but they do work. See my 6c comment.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Bobby
Currently away in the tent with one. As mentioned, stuff needs to go in cold preferably.

We weren’t camping till day 3 of our trip so it only got plugged in when we arrived on site. Some cheese, cold meats and beers in it but it really struggled to bring the temp down until I bought a bag of ice and put it in. Normally we would have it plugged in from leaving the house after we had filled it with contents from the house fridge.

Couple of points to note,
1. The fan can be quite noisy/ obtrusive though it can be turned down. Can be loud enough in the car to hear it whilst driving along.
2. It has vents that need to be left free. Which usually means we travel with ours in the rear footwell with space around it rather than jam packed into the boot with bags/tent etc all around it.

And when we do add a bag of ice, note that it will eventually melt and these bags quite often have holes in them. ( my brother suggested better to use a frozen bag of peas instead)
Well the Halfords box that was making odd noises at 04:00 today has now failed completely.

Two year warranty so it'll be returned once we're home. For now we have a collapsible bag using similar Peltier technology bought in a French Hypermarket last year that will keep beer cool for now though we've disconnected it and popped it in the car for now due pending rain.

The concept of 'sacrificial peas' was one of ours 30+ years ago for keeping cheese etc cool on the way home from France.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Zero
>> Currently away in the tent with one. As mentioned, stuff needs to go in cold
>> preferably.

The Dometic absorption three way fridge in the CCV is the same, it needs to be turned on using mains 48 hours before departure, and then loaded up with pre cold stuff once its down to temp.

Generally I think we cant expect anything other than a full compressor fridge like we have at home to behave like we are are used to or expect.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Zero
Back to the OP, if I was buying one now, it would be this.

www.amazon.co.uk/Clas-Ohlson-Drinks-Cooler-Capacity/dp/B086T3JJ1N
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Stuartli
Many VAG vehicles have the useful feature of the glove box doubling up as a cool box using the air con if you alter the glove box's interior switch or dial. Fine if you wish to keep a bottle or two of water or other drinks cool.
>> Back to the OP, if I was buying one now, it would be this.
>>
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Clas-Ohlson-Drinks-Cooler-Capacity/dp/B086T3JJ1N
>>

The faulty Halfords box #2 was returned for refund; no quibble when I opted against replacement.

Example of above ordered at weekend and delivered yesterday by DPD (against a predicted arrival tomorrow). Tested last night with a small payload of beer cans. By this morning it was down to 6 Celsius, based on 20+ ambient. I suspect it would be better cooling content rather than air.

The whisper quiet fan though is nothing of the sort. Only what you'd expect, like a computer fan at full chat, but not what's stated.

We're off to Scotland with the Xplore on Saturday; Edinburgh then Kinlochewe. Will report on how it performs.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - tyrednemotional
>> >>..... then Kinlochewe.....
>>

...the fan should chop a few midges up....

(Do drive down to Torridon, it is spectacular - though it may be rather overrun with vehicles in these strange times).
>>We're off to Scotland with the Xplore on Saturday; Edinburgh then Kinlochewe. Will report on how it performs.

That's a long siege, especially if you avoid the A9. Been to the Inverewe Garden at Poolewe?
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Runfer D'Hills
Oh dear, a diesel Berlingo pulling a caravan on those roads. Going to be traffic delay broadcasts aren't there...

;-)
>>
>> The Dometic absorption three way fridge in the CCV is the same, it needs to
>> be turned on using mains 48 hours before departure, and then loaded up with pre
>> cold stuff once its down to temp.
>>
...that's at odds with my general experience over 30+ years of the same.

Current 'van gets a couple of hours on leccy, then gets loaded. I've generally found that they cool quicker with contents than simply trying to reduce the temperature of a large amount of air.

There are two notable characteristics of absorption fridges installed in caravans and motorhomes, however:

i) The nature of the installation can have a massive effect on the efficiency of cooling. If the manufacturer's installation instructions re: completely sealing the rear and the positioning of the vents aren't followed, then cooling can be (very) compromised. (incidentally, about the worst such I've seen was on a Swift I once owned - it was poorly sealed, and the top vent was below the top of the fridge, inhibiting free flow over the fins and trapping warm air behind.)

ii) Even under reasonable circumstances, they will struggle to cool to much below about 30 degrees or less below ambient. That can be a bit of a problem in the sort of weather we've been experiencing, or for longer stays in warmer climes. The performance can be improved by the addition of a "fridge fan". positioned to circulate the air over the cooling fins more robustly. Dometic will charge you an arm and a leg for an official piece of kit; rather cheaper aftermarket versions are available, or, since they consist largely of a 12V computer fan (with or without thermostatic switching, etc), you can rig your own "Heath Robinson" version.

I have to say that the large fridge/freezer in the current 'van is at the top end of installation practice.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Zero
Due to the size of the Basecamp, and the fact its a largish fridge, installation is very poor indeed.

Its not sealed at the back, there is insufficient free depth at the back for airflow, the upper vent is level with the top of the heat exchanger, and worse the gas exhaust outlet exhausts directly into the space at the back and not through a separate grille in the upper vent. The upper vent is in fact a lower vent.

I have done some work on it. It now has two 12v 120mm PC fans fitted to the upper vent exhausting air out. Thought about a thermostatic switch, but decided to go manual, so they are controlled by a RF keyfob relay.

Cost me 7 quid and an hours labour. I am off tomorrow, the fridge is loaded, and its settled in at 5c fridge/-13c Freezer*

My big issue is that the factory fit electric retractable tow ball does not provide +12v at fridge pin in the 13 way socket. Seems to be a common German car omission, one I was aware of at purchase but the tow ball feature was purchased for a bike rack, never had any intention to tow a van.

There are rumours of a split charge loom feature that can be added to provide 12v fridge power. I shall investigate in due course. I may splice a sense relay into the Van/ car interface panel and split the 13.8v charge feed, which does exist, to the fridge as well.

* Went to Waitrose today to fill the fridge, to be met with yawning gaps in produce!
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 24 Jul 21 at 21:32
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Kevin
>* Went to Waitrose today to fill the fridge, to be met with yawning gaps in produce!

I went to pick up some stuff from Toolstation today and saw the worst chav car mod I've seen in a long time.

A Range Rover on HUGE chrome wheels and rubber band tyres with lowered suspension. Not "my air suspension is broken" low, but "drop it by six inches mate" low. Front seats occupied by two ladies who appeared to have a thing for Domestos Haircare products.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Zero
Quite tasteful for Basingtoke then
...yeah, NFB...
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Kevin
Well, it didn't have a 3ft high spoiler bolted to the roof so I guess it was a bit, errr, restrained.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - bathtub tom
>>Went to Waitrose today to fill the fridge, to be met with yawning gaps in produce!

I noticed that in a supermarket mid week, however went for our usual click-n-collect, expecting not much and everything was supplied. The staff were unaware of shortages when I asked them.
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Rudedog
From what I've heard many HGV drivers have been diverted and are concentrating on the delivery of fresh produce leaving non-perishable goods in the cold storage warehouses.

I did my weekly Waitrose shop yesterday and as Z has aid they were empty shelves for many items especially bottled water/canned drinks, cereals, frozen goods (veg, chips, deserts) and kitchen towels/toilet rolls.

At least they seems to have sorted the wine/beers supply issue.... for now!
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - sooty123
All a knock from the shortage of drivers brought about by many issues, some new, some old. There's probably 4/5/6 issues all bubbling away that's brought this issue on, from the reaction I've read the gov does have some reasonable long and short term ideas to sort this. We'll see how it pans out.
My weekly Tesco order was delivered in it's entirety yesterday, which is quite unusual. it also happened to be one of the largest for some weeks but that as because of panic-buying additional wine and prosecco cos it was 25% off 6 bottles!
 PLUG IN COLD BOX - Clk Sec
We shopped in both Waitrose and Sainsbury's yesterday, and the only item that we couldn't get were the pumpkin seeds that are normally available in Waitrose. The isles were well stocked in both stores.

Latest Forum Posts