Non-motoring > Amazon - useless answers to questions - why? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

Amazon - useless answers to questions - why? - smokie
Why do people go to the trouble of answering if they don't know the answer? I mean, I know there have been some hilarious ones, but the ones which people have answered seriously.

I was looking at a keyboard and saw the following. Poor bloke never got a proper answer...:

"Does this work on MacBooks and smart TVs?"

He got 4 answers:

"Sorry asking the wrong person, item purchased as a present and works well with our friends PC but MacBook / Smart Tv, haven't a clue. By Mr. R. Thorp on 08 June 2014"

"Sorry, can't answer that , not many people buy keyboards for Macbooks , not many buy MacBooks to begin with , not worth the money :) but that's up to you :) and about smart TVs, few that i have try'd didn't work. By Remigijus Gentvilas on 07 June 2014"

"I simply do not know. I haven't got MacBook neither Smart Tvs By Philip Cooper on 07 June 2014"

"Sorry, can't answer your question absolutely, but I can't see why not. By Adrian Green on 07 June 2014"
 Amazon - useless answers to questions - why? - No FM2R
The ones that particularly annoy me are those where someone asks a question about a product and then receives dozens of answers about why he shouldn't buy this type of product in the first place.
 Amazon - useless answers to questions - why? - Zero
Even more hilarious are some of the reviews.

I saw one. "Even tho the box said it had no batteries, I was annoyed there were none in there"
 Amazon - useless answers to questions - why? - Manatee
Because amazon sends them an email asking them if they can provide an answer.

Apropos, I answered a question on another forum from a chap who had bought a trolley jack and decided there was something wrong with it, because when unloaded the saddle went up about four inches with each stroke, but when lifting the car it was more like half an inch. He was thinking of sending it back. The supplier hadn't really given him an answer.

Now I know that many jacks do this and I know why, but I'd never really thought about how so I didn't answer it. There must have been 15 or 20 answers, most of them to the effect that there was probably nothing wrong with it, one or two on how to bleed it, and several to the effect that you can't get the full stroke when it's under the middle of the car and that must account for it (it doesn't).

After a couple of days of watching this I had a closer look at mine and worked it out. Mine has 2 'pump' cylinders, which I inferred had different rates of mechanical advantage- the 'quicker' one just bypasses fluid in some way when there's a load, leaving the 'slower' (shorter piston stroke and/or narrower bore) to lift the load in smaller increments using manageable force. so I wrote him an answer which he seemed pleased with.

People just want to be helpful, and they treat it as a conversation. If your mate asked you in the pub, you wouldn't remain silent if you didn't know the answer.

Have I answered your question? I thought not...
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 22 Jul 21 at 16:25
>>Because amazon sends them an email asking them if they can provide an answer.

I did not know that.

>> If your mate asked you in the pub, you wouldn't remain silent if you didn't know the answer.

And therein lies the core; far too many people have a social life which consists of little more than a keyboard and a screen. So they do indeed have inane conversations, rants and obsessions with their best mate, the keyboard.
oh the irony
Actually I should spend far less time in the pub with my mates, not more.

But 5 hours time difference does make the UK internet more fun. My early morning crabby coffee drinking and news reading is in the middle of your day, so there's always loads of material for my crabbiness.
 Amazon - useless answers to questions - why? - Manatee
>>Because amazon sends them an email asking them if they can provide an answer.

Sorry, that sounds a bit mysterious then. They email the question to people who have bought one, or at least who have reviewed it. I still get questions about a PA I bought for the WI 6 or 7 years ago. Mot could be answered by reading the many questions and answers already listed so I don't answer any more.
 Amazon - useless answers to questions - why? - bathtub tom
Like this forum (and others), folk don't bother to read previous!
 Amazon - useless answers to questions - why? - tyrednemotional
......As in many online spaces, people respond without reading previous replies....
I think that, quite often, people are so anxious to voice their opinion that they don't bother to read previous replies.
you'd think that people would read replies in the forum before commenting
 Amazon - useless answers to questions - why? - Rudedog
Also you'll find that people reply with totally meaningless answers because it increases their 'post count' which can have benefits on certain forums..

Things like... "I don't know but I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer"... totally worthless.

Latest Forum Posts