Non-motoring > Do we want Zero back?   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 28

Do we want Zero back? - Iffy
Most members will have noticed Zero appears to have retired himself - "I am offski" in the four-mile lorry overtake thread.

My view has always been 'the more the merrier', so I would rather someone carried on posting, rather than stopped.

But now I'm not so sure.

At 23 posts a day, I reckon Zero was our most prolific poster, so the place will be a little quieter without him.

But might it also be a place that's a little happier?

I also wonder if his full-on attitude wasn't deterring some people from posting.

I've had a few spats with Zero, and I was getting fed up with my posts attracting an instant response of: "You're wrong, Iffy".

It makes you think twice about posting at all.

This will be a much better forum if the less frequent posters feel like contributing more often.

So, on balance, is Zero's absence a good or bad thing?

Do we want Zero back? - Bromptonaut
He is an entertaining, informed and informative poster. For that he'll be missed.

I just wish he's tone it down with the three or four members he seems to 'pick on'. Sure thay can all look after themselves but equally they must be dterred from contributing.

Do we want Zero back? - FotheringtonTomas
People have to make up their own minds. Posters can be ignored or not, replied to or not. The reader decides. Posting diarrhoea does not make a good psoter.

I don't like the "Oooh lets close/delete/lock this thread", "Oooh, don't have spats", "Oooh shake hands & make up" sort of comments we read. People should have a more robust outook.

My guess is that Z/Mr.X will return, however that's just my opinion.

By the way, you're wrong, Iffy, as usual.

Do we want Zero back? - Dog
I'll wager that A & E is on one of his jaunts op Narth and will be back to haunt the corridors of C4P before long, hopefully.

Do we want Zero back? - AnotherJohnH
I'd like the man back.

He's certainly opinionated and abrasive, but IMHO, generally worth the effort.

Do we want Zero back? - borasport
Here and in the other place, as Zero and under his previous identities he usually had something either constructive or interesting whenever he posted, but often recently his postings have not added anything to the thread and seem just plain argumental/contrary.

Possibly he's always been that way, but under the more rigorous moderation of the other place, knew he wouldn't get away with it ?

Do we want Zero back? - sherlock47
There are not many other people who are as technically well informed on IT & comunications issues. I may have disagreed a couple of times, but rarely on technical issues.

Abrasive sometimes, but often warranted IMHO.

Definitely worth having back!
Last edited by: pmh on Wed 22 Sep 10 at 10:31

Do we want Zero back? - swiss tony
Yes, I'd like to see him back.
ok, he can go to far at times, but be honest - who doesn't?

the written work does not always carry the meaning that is meant, how many times, I wonder, has something he wrote, been read differently to the way he meant it?

Do we want Zero back? - Armel Coussine
This place would be at least ten per cent more boring without Zero.

He's always knocking policemen's helmets off and being chased down alleys to be given a clip round the ear.

He's always telling us we are blind, impotent and doddering, and that we smell of pee.

These are essential functions in a civilised society. They take brains and wit. Of course not even Zero can win them all.

He vill be beck, fingers crossed.

Do we want Zero back? - Armel Coussine
The other thing I noticed was that in the four-mile-overtake thread, Zero appeared to be lobbying for more traffic police and sneering, as we all do, at electronic pickpocketing. Our serving officers seem to have taken against this line for some inexplicable technical reason. Why, I wonder? One would have expected them to approve (in the slightly irritable way they reserve for cheeky nippers).

Do we want Zero back? - John H

>> At 23 posts a day, I reckon Zero was our most prolific poster, so the
>> place will be a little quieter without him.
>>

How many do you manage a day, iffy?

>> So, on balance, is Zero's absence a good or bad thing?
>>
>>

I enjoyed Zero's banter, even when aimed at me.

However, there are some people I wish were not on here. I limit my posts due to their presence. Iffy is one of them.

Do we want Zero back? - commerdriver
I would definitely like to see him back. He is always entertaining, technically informative and ready with an opinion or a bit of banter. He has strong opinions but if that's not allowed there's a lot more who shouldn't be here.
As for the number of posts that's one of the great things about this (and the other place) you're as welcome here if you post once a month or 20+ times a day. If he's now got the time and interest to post a lot why shouldn't he?
There are loads of folk on here who say stupid things sometimes and who post personal comments at time , we're all grown up enough to take it and move on or stand up for ourselves.
I would not like to see anyone, especially long term valuable regular members excluded because somebody else can't take comments on a generally friendly self moderating forum.
IMO come back any time RF/AE/Zero

Do we want Zero back? - Bigtee
You need broad shoulders when you post on any forum and have to take a bit of stick if you ask a question, you can't tell if somebody is having a good day or a bad one so you just get on with it.

One Aviation forum i use there's hell of a lot have there heads up there own back sides but you just have to laugh at them silly really.

Do we want Zero back? - Mike Hannon
I would/will miss him. Every pub group has at least one pita.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Sep 10 at 12:43

Do we want Zero back? - Mapmaker
Rather zero than those with iffy ideas.

Do we want Zero back? - Robin O'Reliant
Someone start a thread slagging Renaults off and he'll soon turn up again.

Do we want Zero back? - Hugo
All a storm in a teacup.

Didn't he once go under the name of Renault Family on the HJ forum?

If so I remember him very fondly for his wit and way of putting things. In those days I was a moderator on that forum (some of the mods here will remember those days;) ).

If it's the same person I'm surprised he's become a little more tetchy of late. Reading some of his recent posts on the lorry overtaking thread did make me wonder.

In any case one explanation could be due to retirement. Once people have time on their hands they say and do things that previously they wouldn't have done, they get involved in arguements that previously they didn't have the time for. It's usually very intelligent and hard working people this happens to from my experience - thir minds need to remain active so they find other ways to achieve this.

I know several people who have turned from amiable busy people to awquard and argumentative busy bodies once you remove their 'workload'. Give them something to get involved in and they very often adopt their previous persona.

Would I want him back? Well, yes. It seems that iffy (with all due respect) is keeping the subject very much alive by suggesting otherwise. When two people fall out, very often both are culpable.

Do we want Zero back? - Clk Sec
I like his posts, so I hope he returns. It's more folk the forum needs, not less.

Do we want Zero back? - Hugo
Ditto

I remember having to moderate him a few times but he always took it with good grace (assuming it is RF, which I think it is). He never complained.

Do we want Zero back? - BiggerBadderDave
He's a big, fat fairy and a last-word-freak.

That oughta do it.
 Do we want Zero back? - Old Sock
>> He's a big, fat fairy and a last-word-freak.

Not forgetting "like a stream of bat's p_ss"
Last edited by: Old Sock on Wed 22 Sep 10 at 12:11

Do we want Zero back? - Skoda
Aye, he's insightful and a good, fun read. Plus he's part of the moderation when you think of it, that wing clipping function has it's place & is constructive for the forum in its own way.

It'd be a bit of a pot, kettle, black case if i had the cheek to mention his (rarer) 100% argumentative posts. So i will :-) Mostly his fighty posts had something else of good value to the topic in them to offset it.

Do we want Zero back? - Pat
From one who has been on the brunt end of Zero's 'attitude' (Note: not bad or good), I would like to see him back.

Life's too short for bearing grudges but he must get used to getting back what he gives.

Having said that, I would never have posted my personal views on VOSA etc in depth had Zero been around because I would have known he would have (deliberately?) pulled them apart for the sheer hell of it.
So maybe Iffy is right.
It's been a pleasure and enlightening to read the recent posts on the police pensions without any animosity.

I had detected that he'd been grumpy all that day, on most of his threads, so maybe we should just cut him some slack and assume he wasn't feeling too good, or there was something going on in his life that we didn't know about.

Tolerance and compassion rule OK:)

Pat
 Do we want Zero back? - BobbyG
The beauty of forums is that people mostly are anonymous and there is no requirement to log in/out (unless you are a mod).

We always say treat this place as your local, pop your head in, have a bit of banter or discussion or pick up some gems of information. But if you can't make it along for whatever reason, then thats fine, when you are able to come back there will be a chair , or stool, waiting.

Leave him be, am sure he will come back as and when he feels like it. But one thing the pub regulars don't like is everyone talking behind your back........
Last edited by: BobbyG on Wed 22 Sep 10 at 12:15
 Do we want Zero back? - Robin O'Reliant
He's a West Ham supporter, so underneath all the bluster and bile beats the heart of a decent bloke with impeccable standards.

The sort of guy who would give you his last Rolo anyday.

Do we want Zero back? - Chris S
He'll probably re-register under another name - Alf Garnet

Do we want Zero back? - Skip
I do not want to see him back !

There is a vast difference between having an opinion/putting your point across and being rude and ignorant which Zero was on many occaisions.

This forum is bigger than any one person - no matter how big their ego !

Andy

Do we want Zero back? - No FM2R
Is this a bit strange ? Starting a thread to discuss whether or not someone should be part of the forum or not ? What's the purpose ? I'm not sure whether its talking about someone behind their back, whether its trying to goad someone into replying, or just a somewhat sad approach to seeking affirmation.

Zero'll do what he wants, when he wants.

This thread is inappropriate, and not a little weird.

IMO, a moderator should deal with this swiftly. And help this forum climb at little further out of its own sanctimonious bum.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 22 Sep 10 at 12:47
 Do we want Zero back? - VxFan
Having let this thread run for a little while to see how it would develop, I've now decided to make it read only.

One of the many reasons being a few people have said Zero picked on certain individuals, IMHO this thread is doing exactly the same.

If Zero wants to stay or leave, then that is up to him. If some of the allegations toward him are true and he (or anyone else for that matter) contravene house rules, then a moderator will step in. Remember though, you have your voting buttons to self moderate this forum. If you don't like what someone says you can always downrate the post, to the point of making it invisible.

Vx - Mod.

Latest Forum Posts