Non-motoring > Credit Card Protection Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 3

Credit Card Protection - Bobby
If you are putting £3k down as a deposit for a car, but you don't have a credit card - if your partner uses her card for the deposit does that still give you all the protection that a credit card purchase normally does? Or would it need to be in your name if the car was in your name?
 Credit Card Protection - zippy
From a few years ago now, and it may have changed but if the purchase isn't intended for the main card holder then you are not covered.

Assuming the car costs less than £30k as that is the limit for s75.

This came from a work exam re consumer credit and as I work in B2B credit I wasn't paying much attention.

Using concert tickets as an example. A card holder purchased a ticket for themselves and their partner (both over £100 and under £30k) both would be covered.

If the card holder purchased one ticket just for the partner, then that would not be covered.

If the car costs over £30k and under c£60k and a linked credit agreement has been taken out then there may be (limited) protection under s75a.

General advise re s75. If the credit card terminal is actually a connection to a money clearing service like Worldpay s75 may not apply as there is no direct link between the payment and the goods. I don't know how you would know.

You also used to be able to buy cars from banks. If you made a purchase from the card issuer then for some reason s75 would not apply.
 Credit Card Protection - Bobby
Cheers Zippy - daughter's partner is buying a new car on PCP - putting down £3k deposit - he doesnt have a credit card but she does - that was my line of thinking but if protection not there if car not in her name then probably no point.
 Credit Card Protection - zippy
I would pay it on the credit card anyway because you get:

1 months free credit if you pay it off in full at the end of the month.

You never know, the credit card company may interpret the rules in her favour.

I certainly did when I purchased Mrs Z's car but made sure that Miss Z used her credit card to pay the deposit for her first car.

There *may* be s75 cover by virtue of the PCP agreement, though there are different types.

This may help:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/credit-borrowing-money/car-finance

Latest Forum Posts