Non-motoring > Dishwasher Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 70

Dishwasher - MD
I need to buy a new one for the Heiress. I have no wish to break the bank or indeed to buy a pile of you know what. Any thoughts or experiences or stuff to avoid?

Thanks in advance, MD
 Dishwasher - Duncan
Miele - buy.
 Dishwasher - Ambo
Our Bosch is very reliable and quiet but I don't know its model number. It has an all-stainless steel lining. Some washers are half and half, plastic and steel and they tend to leak along the seams.
 Dishwasher - Bromptonaut
Full size or narrow?

Standalone or fitted?
 Dishwasher - Bromptonaut
Our full size Zanussi has been good over the best part of ten years. Only repairs needed have been wheels on the lower basket which were being eroded by the abrasive in the tablets/powder. Replacement was a DIY job.

The Bosch we had before though had more useful programmes and much more flexible loading.
 Dishwasher - MD
Full size and integrated.
 Dishwasher - Clk Sec
We have a integrated Bosch at the house we moved to last year. It's about 5 years old, and Mrs CS is very happy with it.

We had a Siemens at our last house for 10 years before we moved. Mrs CS was also very happy with that.

Neither required any repairs.
 Dishwasher - bathtub tom
I had a Bosch for years. Looking at replacements, I suspect a lot come out of the same factory and are 'badge engineered'. We settled on a JLP badge because of their three year guarantee. I think it's an Electrolux, is very flimsy and not as user friendly for loading. It's 'intelligent' in that it adjusts the time of washing, depending on how dirty the load is. I haven't a clue how it knows.
 Dishwasher - neiltoo
Bosch here as well.
Can't remember how old it is, but looking on the instruction leaflets, it's either 2003 or 2007.
Never any problems (crossed fingers)

8o)
 Dishwasher - zippy
We had a Miele. Best cleaning results. Limited programs very quiet. But it died and the part cost more than the new Siemens we replaced it with.

The Siemens is basically a Bosch with a different front - but the prices can be better depending which one was on offer.

We had to buy the replacement when supplies were very short. It does a good job and is quiet. Perhaps not as effective as the Miele but it cost £500 when the Miele equivalent was nearly £1800.
 Dishwasher - smokie
I just replaced an old Bosch built-in which had serviced us well for many years.

Not being about to spend £1500 on a Miele, I saw that AO had a Hoover with WiFi on offer so we've gone with that as there is a possibility it may only have a short life with us as we are thinking about replacing the kitchen, complete with appliances.

Had it a week or so and it works fine, is as quiet and is more energy efficient than the old one (but them most will be). Everything has come out of it clean so far.

The overall bill (incl delivery, fitting and taking away the old one) was only £354 - but then we got a £40 credit for a minor piece of damage done during install..

The one issue for me, that won't affect the OP, is that the WiFi connection is dire, not very stable at all, and the app doesn't seem to be able to accurately report whether it's connected or not, so we aren't using that to program it at the mo. I have all open with them about it.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 28 Jun 21 at 10:55
 Dishwasher - MD
Model number please Smokie
 Dishwasher - smokie
HDSN 1L380PB-80

Machine was £289
Connection £45
Disposal £20

ao.com/product/hdsn1l380pb-hoover-hdish-300-standard-dishwasher-black-73735-23.aspx
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 28 Jun 21 at 11:13
 Dishwasher - MD
Many thanks Sir.
 Dishwasher - smokie
Just added link. For some reason connection is half price with this one.
 Dishwasher - Zero

>> The one issue for me, that won't affect the OP, is that the WiFi connection
>> is dire, not very stable at all, and the app doesn't seem to be able
>> to accurately report whether it's connected or not,

Serves you right, its retribution - WTF would anyone buy a Wifi device you have to physically be next to to load up and feed with a tablet.
 Dishwasher - smokie
Haha I def didn't buy it for it's WiFi as I agree with you, why would you want it?

But many of them have it, and as it's got it I thought I might use it. But it's unusable.

The only benefit is that I was using delayed start to take advantage of my lower overnight tariffs - so kicking off at 00:30. The manual delayed start can only be done in 3 hour increments whereas the WiFi one looks like hourly, if it worked!! But anyway I have just shifted my cheap leccy slot to be 20:30 - 00:30, much more useful to me. Must go and re-program the car!
 Dishwasher - Bromptonaut
>> The manual delayed start can only
>> be done in 3 hour increments whereas the WiFi one looks like hourly, if it
>> worked!!

A classic example of making things more difficult than they need to be. I set mine with a delay so it finishes right at the end of the E7 period. That way things are still warm and any remaining drips can be polished off quickly.
 Dishwasher - smokie
You program the car to complete charging by a certain time and it starts when it needs to, depending on how full it is.

Seems more logical than programming a start time really.

We need to note the duration of each cycle, but it will be much easier now my cheap period starts mid evening (till today it was 00:30 - so we now get some TV watching done at the cheap rate!)
 Dishwasher - tyrednemotional

>> The one issue for me, that won't affect the OP, is that the WiFi connection
>> is dire, not very stable at all,

... it's like satellite reception - just install a bigger dish..
 Dishwasher - Fullchat
Could be the kiss of death but here goes:

Our NEFF has going on 14 years under its belt. All NEFF kitchen appliances fitted when we had the kitchen done.

All Ive had to replace is an element in the hob.
 Dishwasher - Rudedog
We've always had Bosch (as has been said they are the same as Siemens), and have only just replaced the last one that fused after over 18 years.

Newer ones seem slightly more noisy but also how b***** hot they get when on one of the long cycles.

Dishwasher - DP
Bosch units have always served us well. We brought one with us to our previous house in 2003 that was already a couple of years old. That lasted up until 2015 and given its long life and good performance, we replaced it with whatever the contemporary equivalent was. That came out in 2019, still working fine, to make way for an integrated unit as part of a new kitchen. A neighbour gave us £50 for it. Spoke to them a few weeks back and it's still going strong.

The new house has all Neff appliances, including an integrated dishwasher. It seems to work well. Too early to comment on reliability, but one of the ovens and the hob have both needed engineers in the first 6 months, so it perhaps doesn't inspire quite the same level of confidence.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 28 Jun 21 at 13:43
 Dishwasher - R.P.
Up until the move we had an excellent Bosch integrated machine. We've now bought a Samsung. Cheaper than a Bosch it got really good reviews in Which Magazine. Feels flimsier than the Bosch, but maybe due to the fact that it hasn't got a wooden door stuck to it..
 Dishwasher - Duncan
Which? says

Bosch
SMV68MD01G

Siemens
SN658D01NG/63

Neff
S515U80D2G

All at £600 odd.
 Dishwasher - Zero
I had a Bosch broke after 12 years. Replaced it with an AEG, its a POS an ergonomic nightmare.
 Dishwasher - Bromptonaut
>> I had a Bosch broke after 12 years. Replaced it with an AEG, its a
>> POS an ergonomic nightmare.

Looking at some it's almost as if they want to make it difficult to load.

The advantage of our old Bosch was that nearly all the plate racks folded down, including the saucer size ones in the upper basket. Who routinely uses teacups and saucers these days when mugs are so much more convenient?
 Dishwasher - Kevin
>Looking at some it's almost as if they want to make it difficult to load.

We had a Bosch that gave good service for quite a few years until the heating element went kaput and popped the RCD breaker every time it was switched on. Repair was going to be nearly half the cost of it's latest equivalent so it was replaced.

The new one doesn't seem to be insulated as well as the old one. The door gets warmer and you can hear it doing it's thing whereas the old one was virtually silent. The spray arms are now plastic and not stainless.

The really annoying thing though is that they redesigned the baskets and gave the job to an imbecile. We'd mastered the task of loading the old one with everything we seemed to use day to day so no space was wasted and everything came out spotless. With the new one we have saucepans that won't go in unless they are laid flat and dishes and bowls that will only fit in the sections intended for bigger items. As a result, half the space is wasted and we end up washing some stuff by hand to get more items in.
When the time comes to replace this one, top of the list will be layout of the baskets.
 Dishwasher - smokie
Our new one has the cutlery basket at the back. Also the door handle is in a slightly different position and has a flap.

We're holding up OK so far though :-)
 Dishwasher - bathtub tom
Our JLP model has the on switch on top of the door, hidden when the door's shut. Took months to remember to switch it on before closing the door, still catches us out sometimes.
 Dishwasher - Ambo
As noted above, our Bosch is very reliable but it has no cutlery basket. It has a separate kind of cutlery drawer at the top instead, tedious to load as each piece has to be laid in its slot with blades vertical. The slot markers are sharp-pointed so prick our fingers, somewhat on loading but a lot on unloading. I wouldn't buy another such, Bosch or no.
 Dishwasher - zippy
>> As noted above, our Bosch is very reliable but it has no cutlery basket. It
>> has a separate kind of cutlery drawer at the top instead, tedious to load as
>> each piece has to be laid in its slot with blades vertical. The slot markers
>> are sharp-pointed so prick our fingers, somewhat on loading but a lot on unloading. I
>> wouldn't buy another such, Bosch or no.
>>

That's a very good point AMBO and one I noted when we were searching for a new dishwasher recently.

There was a £50 price difference between the model with the cutlery tray and the one without.

On reading online reviews, whist they are clearly the "next best thing" in dishwasher design, they tend to be fiddly and take room from the height of the top shelf.

So we went for the standard model which was the same spec save for the tray and saved £50.
 Dishwasher - legacylad
I bought my place early year 2000 when it was 6 months old. The previous occupants had fitted an integrated Electrolux ESL 614. 21 years later I still have it.

Never used it mind. Not ever.

Don’t know if I dare in case the seals ( or something else in the intervening 21 years) have perished. Wotcha think ? Or simply leave well alone for the next owners.
 Dishwasher - smokie
Home energy discussion now here

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=6&t=29079
 Dishwasher - DP
>> So we went for the standard model which was the same spec save for the
>> tray and saved £50.
>>

I'm not a fan of the top cutlery tray idea either. Having had both types, I'd always choose the separate basket for the cutlery over the additional cutlery tray at the top.

Fully agree about the tedious loading and the robbing of space from the top shelf (meaning larger glasses and mugs don't fit, never mind tea plates). We also found that if the top shelf was any more than very lightly loaded, the cutlery didn't get properly cleaned. This is presumably because the contents of the shelf blocked too much of the water from the spray arm from reaching the cutlery.

The other beauty of the separate basket is that on unloading, you can take it over to your cutlery drawer, and unload / sort it in one hit without multiple trips back and forth.

I actually struggled to see any upside of the tray design.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 30 Jun 21 at 12:41
 Dishwasher - Manatee
We lost our nearly 20 year old Miele in the house fire, it would probably have worked fine but the insurers wrote it off. We both loved the top cutlery tray, those basket are a pain to load and unload. Complaints have been muttered abo about the basket in the ancient Bosch at our rented house.

The new kitchen will have AEG appliances as that is all Magnet does at the moment and I can't be bothered / haven't time to sort out alternatives. The dishwasher not only has a tray but also some means of raising the bottom basket for emptying.

The washer and dryer will be freestanding and I still have to find those. Will probably be Bosch washer as the life expectancy of a Miele is now probably longer than mine.
 Kiss of Death - Fullchat
You may recall in the dishwasher thread me praising the longevity, at 14 years, of my Neff kitchen appliances and predicting that by discussing such that it may be the kiss of death.
Wednesday Mrs FC mentions that the main ring on the ceramic hob has lost its varying temp control and is either on or off. Seems the main control unit is fubar. £209 for the part.
At 14 years I don't think an expensive repair would be cost effective.
Other issue is they don't make a ceramic hob in that cutout size anymore only the more expensive induction hob. We have granite tops so new worktops are also out.
Induction hob it is then. Except there's a 4-6 week delivery time on that item. Looks like we'll be cooking on an open fire :)
So a big thank you to MD for the dishwasher thread :)) Going for a lottery ticket as I'm on form.

Kiss of Death - MD
Kitchen life would be so much simpler without women.
 Kiss of Death - Kevin
>Seems the main control unit is fubar. £209 for the part.

Household electrical stuff fails in threes. It's the law.

Previous time for us was dishwasher, washing machine and something else I can't remember.

This time it's fridge/freezer, brush-head on cordless vacuum and now the timer on our Neff oven has just started flashing, no error code and and won't reset.

I'm afraid you've got two more to come.
 Kiss of Death - Fullchat
Thanks Kevin.

Does two printers destroyed within 4 months using compatible inks count?

Or is it restricted to kitchen appliances?

Deep Joy!! :/
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 3 Jul 21 at 20:23
 Kiss of Death - zippy
>>
>> Does two printers destroyed within 4 months using compatible inks count?
>>

Not seen that before.

Is that a printer with a fixed inkjet nozzle as opposed to a inkjet where the nozzles are replaced with each new cartridge of ink?
 Kiss of Death - Fullchat
"Is that a printer with a fixed inkjet nozzle as opposed to a inkjet where the nozzles are replaced with each new cartridge of ink?"

I think its fixed inkjet. The nozzles are in a printer head carriage which runs left to right and returns. Cartridges pipe the ink to the head.
 Kiss of Death - bathtub tom
>>Household electrical stuff fails in threes. It's the law.

Yup, washing machine door switch failed - replaced. Heater then failed - replaced. It then started tripping the electrics - identified as motor windings grounding. All within a few weeks. I got the message and replaced the machine, after removing the new parts.

Anyone want a nearly new door switch and heater element for a Bosch w/m?
 Kiss of Death - MD
If I were on my own I'd never use the stinking thing. Spawn of the devil.
 Kiss of Death - Zero
>> >Seems the main control unit is fubar. £209 for the part.
>>
>> Household electrical stuff fails in threes. It's the law.

it does and it is

Last 12 months for us was meecrowahhve, Washing machine and dishwasher. The kettle came on as a last minute sub exploding in Mrs Z's face in spectacular fashion.
 Kiss of Death - Manatee
>>Other issue is they don't make a ceramic hob in that cutout size anymore only the more expensive induction hob. We have granite tops so new worktops are also out.

I'd be surprised if you don't think the induction hob is a vast improvement. Just take off your Patek Philippe and keep it out of the way when you're stirring the gravy.
 Dishwasher - hawkeye
Our 23-year-old Bosch is still going strong despite being abused by holiday renters. The baskets are starting to rust but that's all. And this in a fiercely hard water area.

The 7-year-old thin Kenwood in our new build has been faultless so far but the top basket wheels are worn so that it doesn't mate properly with the water outlet at the back and then the door won't shut. A sympathetic wiggle does the job. Thank goodness Mrs H doesn't use the thing or it would be scrap by now for certain.

Who said 'tempting fate'?
 Dishwasher - zippy
I'm convinced white goods talk to each other through the electric cables. :-)

The door handle just snapped off our 12 year old Siemens Tumble Drier!
 Dishwasher - zippy
>> I'm convinced white goods talk to each other through the electric cables. :-)
>>
>> The door handle just snapped off our 12 year old Siemens Tumble Drier!
>>

Replying to my own message.

New handle purchased from Amazon £9.88.
New screw driver set for screws with a "star" shaped head £1 from Poundland. (They must be selling it at a loss!?)

One session of mild damn and blast its when I dropped a couple of the screws in to the washing basket full of clothes.

One happy Mrs Z with a fixed tumble drier.

One happy Zippy for not having to fork out for a repair man or new drier.

Result!
 Dishwasher - Falkirk Bairn
My wife's dishwasher has now passed 50 years constant use. The odd breakdown but overall available 24x7.

Our Golden Wedding, on Saturday, had somebody else worrying about the dishes.
 Dishwasher - zippy
>>
>> Our Golden Wedding, on Saturday, had somebody else worrying about the dishes.
>>

Congratulations to you and Mrs FB!
 Dishwasher - VxFan
>> New screw driver set for screws with a "star" shaped head £1 from Poundland. (They must be selling it at a loss!?)

Poundland get loads of free advertising from BigClive.com on YouTube, so they can reflect this in the price.

Plus, soft cheese (which a lot of these Chinese tools are made from) is relatively quite cheap ;)
 Dishwasher - zippy
>soft cheese...

I noticed they weren't precision tools but they needed to be used for one job only so well happy.

And I have purchased expensive battery tools only for them to fail when needed for an important job so think a low cost tool worked in this instance.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 13 Jul 21 at 00:48
 Dishwasher - No FM2R
I often have the same approach: sometimes it's close to a one-off job and as long as the tools last that long then it's a win.

And usually one can get two or three uses out of even s*** tools.
 Dishwasher - Kevin
I have a special socket for releasing/tightening the distributor fastening bolt to adjust the timing on Ford Essex V6 engines. It's a 1 inch piece of mild steel electrical conduit with one end heated and hammered to fit the timing bolt and the other end hammered and brazed around a 10 inch long, 1/4 inch dia bolt with three bends in it to fit under and around a multi carb setup.

Ford wanted silly money and a month delivery from Port Elizabeth for the factory tool so I made my own. No idea why I haven't thrown it away, I doubt I'll see another Essex V6. Nostalgia I guess.
 Dishwasher - bathtub tom
>>I have a special socket .............................

Sounds a bit like the 'crows foot' spanner for adjusting Pinto tappets.
 Dishwasher - Fullchat
As predicted. The NEFF dishwasher has now thrown in the towel. Still awaiting hob delivery.

Well not quite.

Symptoms were only the pump was running even with the door open but that was it. Tap diagram on control unit was illuminated suggesting blockage in or out.

Root round the strainer at the bottom found something that loogs like a small clear silicon medal. Pulled it up and the machine gasped for air. Put it back together and closed the door and switched on. Voila, it worked !. Feeling rather smug but within a few minutes it was back to bust mode.

Done the Youtube bit and there is a suggestion that a lot of problems come from behind a nearside panel where a lot of the control for water in and out go on. Plenty of signs of 15 years of congealment within plastic components that look like syphons and pressure/level control gizzmos. It was excrement or bust. Parts removed, its not hard and into cleaning mode with soda and sink cleaner. Finally got all cleared out and a flexible drain pipe coming from the main sump was choked with all sorts of carp.

A small nail controlled with a magnet was a great idea for agitating muck in small places in the clear plastic tubes.

All put back together and now running a 50 deg cycle. Fingers crossed.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 21 Jul 21 at 15:27
 Dishwasher - MD
SIL took about wrestling with our problematic jobby. Similar tale as yours. Again, pinkies crossed.
 Dishwasher - MD
SIL fixed it.....Yay!...
 Dishwasher - zippy
Our range cooker has totally died.

It's a Rosieres Bocuse (Paul Bocuse) and they are not sold here any more.

It's also an odd size at 117 cm, when others are 90, 109, 110, 120 etc, so we are going to have to get a 110 and fill the gap.

We've been looking at RangeMasters but there's just such limited stock at the moment.
 Dishwasher - zippy
Damn and blast it.

After fixing a new door handle and buying a new filter, the 2009 (ish) tumble drier's drum stopped rotating at the weekend. Repair man visited today (no call out charge) and declared the drum bearings gone and it's beyond economic repair :-(

Just been looking at the prices for new ones and nearly had a seizure!
 Dishwasher - Dog
>>Just been looking at the prices for new ones and nearly had a seizure!

Tesco do a nice line in washing up bowls for £3:00 each.

:)
 Dishwasher - Duncan
>> After fixing a new door handle and buying a new filter, the 2009 (ish) tumble
>> drier's drum stopped rotating at the weekend. Repair man visited today (no call out charge)
>> and declared the drum bearings gone and it's beyond economic repair :-(
>>
>> Just been looking at the prices for new ones and nearly had a seizure!

That's 12 years old so not TOO bad.

Buy cheap, buy twice; and there are lots more equally irritating expressions available on t'web.

We buy Miele. You have to grit your teeth, but...
 Dishwasher - smokie
Ha - dishwasher snobbery now eh? :-)

I just bought cheap as documented above - c £350 IIRC for Hoover machine, delivery, connection and taking away the old one. It does the job (though the WiFi control is unreliable but also pretty pointless).

Then again the whole kitchen may have a finite life, which would undoubtedly involve new appliances.
 Dishwasher - Terry
You could buy 3 or 4 normal priced dishwashers (~£300) for the price of a Miele.

Our experience is that dishwashers and washing machines will last 5-7 years +.

If when they fail - they are either still under warranty (unusual) or simply replace with new.

Top of the range (compared to mid range)dishwashers, cars, or almost anything else means you are mostly buying the badge and additional complexity, not a functionally better machine.
 Dishwasher - Zero

>>
>> We buy Miele. You have to grit your teeth, but...

It lasts just as long as some of the cheaper ones.......
 Dishwasher - Falkirk Bairn
50 years of washing machines
2 x Hoover washing machines, 19 years, 13 years
Servis - Makro special - under £200 12 years
Candy - Makro special - £230 6/7 years

If / When they break they get fixed under say 5/6 years - replaced after that time.
 Dishwasher - VxFan
>> That's 12 years old so not TOO bad.

Our 21 year old (at least) White Knight tumble drier is still going strong. Bought from the Co-Op for something like £99.

Used 3 or 4 times a week.

In its time it's had:-
a new door hinge @ £5
a new filter @ £10
A new elephants trunk @ £5
A repair to the door catch with some superglue @ free (ample supply at work)
And had to remake an electrical connection to the motor @ free.

Dishwasher - sherlock47
Having dropped into the middle of this thread, titled 'Dishwasher' I cannot get the visual image of Duncans 'Top of the price range' dishwasher with a rotating drum.

Do the scots only use plastic plates?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 26 Aug 21 at 11:13
 Dishwasher - Fullchat
Good news and bad news:

The new Neff induction hob has finally arrived after 5 weeks and at £720.

The old ceramic hob came back on line a couple of weeks ago and is working well :/

I dont want to mention the dishwasher but I can hear it doing its thin in the kitchen. :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Thu 26 Aug 21 at 17:53
 Dishwasher - BiggerBadderDave
"I dont want to mention the dishwasher but I can hear it doing its thin in the kitchen. :)"

Tell it you love it and it might make you a sandwich and bring you a beer. Mine does.
Latest Forum Posts