Non-motoring > Train tickets Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 22

Train tickets - sooty123
I'm off on the train next week, can I get off at the station I have to change at and go for a walk around in town that get back on and finish my journey?
Not been on a train in a while and not sure about the rules about that sort of thing.
 Train tickets - legacylad
Which station ? I can recommend a few good pubs within walking distance of some major rail stations.
unless booked on specific trains it doesn’t matter...I regularly break journeys in Leeds, York and Lancaster for a walk, food and beer.
 Train tickets - sooty123
I was thinking of stopping off in Leeds.
I was thinking of stopping off in Leeds..
The Hop. 30 seconds from the station exit on Granary Wharf. Owned by Osset Brewery. White Rat is my favourite beer...I was drinking it last night in Settle and will be tomorrow after a day in the Lakes.
20 seconds further away is the DoubleTree Hilton with the ‘Sky Bar’. Great views over Leeds. If you don’t want beer or suffer from vertigo then Canary Wharf is worth a wander around.
>>
 Train tickets - Zero
It depends on where you bought your ticket, what type it is, and the TOC, but generally speaking you can NOT break (ie leave the station) your outward journey but you can on the return!

Dont ask me the thinking behind that one.
 Train tickets - sooty123
Right so better off getting two then? It's leeds so all automatic barriers from what I remember. All sounds a bit complicated for the casual traveller.
 Train tickets - Bromptonaut
Note Z's comment but I thought, assuming an open ticket, you could break the outbound journey as long as you completed it within the same railway service day.
Ditto. When travelling from Settle to Tenby, changing at Leeds and joining the Virgin X Country, I left the station for a few pints in The Hop.
I regularly leave stations whilst en route, sometimes to sightsee, sometimes just for an hours leg stretch and refreshment.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 25 Jun 21 at 21:37
 Train tickets - tyrednemotional
...it's a bit of a minefield with, as Z says, dependencies on ticket type and Issuing TOC....

BUT, AIUI, the overall assumption hasn't changed for many a year - which is that "break of journey" is allowed (in either direction) unless it explicitly isn't.

For many journeys (particularly outside the SE) this effectively means that BoJ is allowed for flexible tickets (I.e. those that aren't tied to a particular service) even if they are cheap fares such as "off-peak" etc.

It's not particularly difficult to check the conditions by ticket type and issuer via a quick shufti on the net, though if you want to break at a station with automated barriers, I for one wouldn't risk my ticket, and would look for a manned gate. (Been there, done that)
 Train tickets - Runfer D'Hills
I dislike trains. It's a result of childhood trauma of sorts. As children, we used to stand on the railway bridges in Princes St gardens in Edinburgh in the hope of being enveloped in the smoke as a steamer passed under the bridge.

Well, anyway, when I was quite young, someone stole my school cap and threw it on top of a train while we were in the smoke cloud. I'm pretty certain I knew who it was, but could never fully prove it and of course no one else saw what happened. Got in trouble at school and indeed at home for losing that cap.

I've never been much of a fan of trains since. The boy, who was the almost certain culprit, is fat and bald now though, I'm irrationally pleased to say. More cheeringly, he has a rubbish car too, so it seems that karma might just be a thing.

Carry on, as you were etc...

;-)
I like trains. Used to be a train spotter when a nipper. For a few years, aged 9/11, my parents would drive to Hest Bank, near Morecambe, on summer Sundays. Leave me in charge of my younger bruv for hours where we sat on the old wooden railway bridge collecting train numbers.
These days it would be called child neglect.
One school trip was to Venice, Florence and Rome by train. Aged 13 ish it was all a bit unnecessary.
Lots of ski trips by train...St Anton, Bourg St Maurice decades ago. More recently trains to SW England and return whilst back packing the Coast Path, and Pembrokeshire.
Train to Mallaig, return from Montrose on cross Scotland walking trips. In fact more rail journeys than I could shake a stick at.
 Train tickets - sooty123
LL, as you're the man in the know about beer ever tried any from this brewery www.leedsbrewery.co.uk/our-beers/

And if so whereabouts?
Cheers.
Yes. I was drinking Leeds Gold @ £3.30 pint in the Talbot beer garden ( Settle) on Thursday evening after my group walk. Leeds Pale is also a decent pint. The Talbot have the best beer garden in Settle...ask for tables 21/24 which get the max evening sun although only until 7pm...I’m back there meeting friends early Monday evening.

Harts Head beer garden in Giggleswick is larger and nicer...full sun until very late evening, but at the moment it’s rarely open due to staff shortages.

In Leeds, the Midnight Bell, also the name of a Leeds Brewery beer, is a 10 minute walk from the station. Outside seating area in a courtyard, operated by Leeds Brewery so always a full range of their beers plus decent food. A regular haunt of mine.

ps. I’m normally t total over the weekend for 3 nights, preferring the gym to pub, just in case you thought I was a dipso !!
 Train tickets - sooty123
The midnight bell, i thought they ran their own pubs, cheers. Might pop into the brewery tap.
 Train tickets - sooty123
Thanks tne, I'll risk it but try and use a manned barrier.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 26 Jun 21 at 05:54
 Train tickets - sooty123
anyway back to train ticket, got an anytime single that says 'You may start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station along the route of travel.'
 Train tickets - Duncan
>> anyway back to train ticket, got an anytime single that says 'You may start, break
>> and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station along the route of travel.'
>>

One of my playmates is Trainline www.thetrainline.com/

If one searches diligently for the cheapest ticket(s), often 6 to 8 weeks ahead, one will find that the cheapest ticket frequently has a note to the effect that "this ticket can only be be used on this particular train". I believe the authorities can interpret that to mean that you can't get off the train short of the designated staion without incurring a penalty.
>> If one searches diligently for the cheapest ticket(s), often 6 to 8 weeks ahead, one
>> will find that the cheapest ticket frequently has a note to the effect that "this
>> ticket can only be be used on this particular train". I believe the authorities can
>> interpret that to mean that you can't get off the train short of the designated
>> station without incurring a penalty.

That's right, some cheaper tickets on specific trains are not valid for any break.

It's long been the case, even in BR days, that tickets to, say, Edinburgh were cheaper than to Newcastle but you could and would be surcharged if caught using it to travel and stop short.
 Train tickets - tyrednemotional

>> It's long been the case, even in BR days, that tickets to, say, Edinburgh were
>> cheaper than to Newcastle but you could and would be surcharged if caught using it
>> to travel and stop short.
>>

...not generally the case, I think, except for special promotional fares (where such practice would be explicitly banned in the conditions)

50 years ago, when I was ordering "Edmondson-style" tickets from the ticket printing shop at Crewe, auditing station/ticket inspectors etc. accounts, I could have given you chapter and verse of the conditions from memory (backed by the SPM - Selective Pricing Manual) but things have changed a bit in the interim. ;-)
>> ...not generally the case, I think, except for special promotional fares (where such practice would
>> be explicitly banned in the conditions)

Promotional fares were exactly what I had in mind. If some other oddity, around routing for example, created a lower ticket price that was fare game!!
>> anyway back to train ticket, got an anytime single that says 'You may start, break
>> and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station along the route of travel.'

My understanding is that the same conditions apply yo the outbound portion of an open return.

In the dim/distant c79-84 when I travelled regularly on 'Inter City' trains both for work and personal journeys the Single was valid 3 days.
 Train tickets - sooty123
Ended up going this weekend, thanks LL, ended up in the brewery tap by the train station. Very good selection of beers, enjoyed a few.

No issue with a single ticket straight through, thanks for the advice. Nice to have a city weekend away with a bit of a buzz, makes a nice occasionally change from the quiet of the countryside.
Presumably The Hop by Granary Wharf ? Nice to sit outside there, drink a few pints of White Rat and watch the world go by.
Apart from the fact that unlike other Ossett Brewery pubs they don’t give CAMRA discount, and it’s more expensive city centre prices, it’s a decent boozer.
I know exactly what you mean about escaping the countryside now and again.
Latest Forum Posts